Housing in Maryland

A place to put all the posts regarding houses for sale or rent.

Housing in Maryland

Postby sub_guy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I will be heading to Meade in a few months and figured I would just ask everyone here about areas to live. Right now we are looking primarily at places between Meade and Annapolis (kids private school is in Annapolis) and were wondering what areas would be nice, or what areas to stay away from.

And if anyone has a house they are looking to rent starting mid-June I would be willing to discuss. We are flying out to Maryland next week to start looking around. Thanks in advance.

sub_guy
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Your price range will make a big difference. I know several people who live in Crofton, Severn, and Odenton that like the locations. Like nearly any city, there are good and bad parts to those three locations. PM me if you'd like to know specific details about the area I live, which meets your criteria.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Sparkplug » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:28 am

Price range, house size, detached vs town house, proximity to Annapolis, DC, Baltimore, Ft. Meade, etc all play into availabilities. I'm currently renting my house out while I'm overseas (its in Odenton about 3 miles from the Meade gates) using Prudential as the property managers, but my tenants may be moving out this summer. So far I have been pretty happy with Prudential, so I would recommend them as a source to help in your house hunting. If you need more info or contacts, send me a note and I'll provide whatever help I can.

Sparkplug
Experienced Member

Postby OmegaMan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 am

I have a house in Millersville. It's a nice neighborhood for a family, about 15 minutes from Meade and the airport, also centrally located between Baltimore and Annapolis.

OmegaMan

Postby HH-60H » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 am

I live in this neck of the woods. As you may know, the public schools in Annapolis are crap for the most part. There are a couple good ones in the city, but the really good ones are across the river. The rest of the schools in the county, are on average, pretty good. Anne Arundel county is the school district and that includes everything between Ft Meade and Annapolis.

Have you been to/graduated from Annapolis? It's changed a decent amount in the last 10 years. There's just about everything you need within or around town. The drive to the Fort isn't bad, although I have never tried it during rush hour.

PM me with any questions

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby JMG » Mon May 17, 2010 3:11 am

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about base housing on Fort Meade (availability, quality, etc.)? I have seen the website http://www.meadepicerne.com/ but I am curious to hear some experiences people have had.

Thanks

JMG
Registered Member

Similar Question on Fort Meade House

Postby Infotainment » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Info on this thread is from a couple years back so I figured I'd bump it and ask a more tailored question:

I'll be stationed at Ft Meade around the new year (2013) any suggestions on where to live?

Here's some background info and personal preference:

O-3, married, no kids, not concerned about school system, safety/community is only a middle of the road concern, don't want bars on my windows, but not worried about keeping kids safe either

(3rd priority) Being close to work would be nice, being a bike ride away would be really nice, I have a road bike, but prefer if the ride is under 5 miles if possible.

(2nd priority) Being near someplace that has things to do: movies, restaurants/bars

(1st priority) Being near someplace "scenic" a lake to run around, a nice park with a mountain peak to hike to, beach?, etc

I'm not too rigid with my desires, I just value where I live a lot higher than the particular house/apt/condo that I live in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Infotainment
Registered Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 am

I lived in base housing at USNA. O-3 w dependents (but no kids) will get you a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment that was built in the early 1900s. They were all recently refurbished with new kitchens and the hardwood floors were redone.

That puts you near downtown Annapolis, easy to run on the yard, close to the B-A trail for longer runs/rides. Only problem, no biking in to work. Closer to a 30 minute drive.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby Infotainment » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:25 pm

O-4's hate me wrote:I lived in base housing at USNA. O-3 w dependents (but no kids) will get you a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment that was built in the early 1900s. They were all recently refurbished with new kitchens and the hardwood floors were redone.

That puts you near downtown Annapolis, easy to run on the yard, close to the B-A trail for longer runs/rides. Only problem, no biking in to work. Closer to a 30 minute drive.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I never went to the Academy so no good or bad memories of there.

Posted via Mobile Device

Infotainment
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Also check out Columbia. It has plenty to do including lakes, trails, shops, restaurants. However, it's about the same distance from Ft. Meade as Annapolis. Columbia should be much more affordable than Annapolis for comparable conditions.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Houses for sale or rent