Question on Career Path

Question on Career Path

Postby jriot504 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:29 pm

I posted a month ago regarding the regarding the IWC fields. However, I have to make a decision this week or next at the latest.

The IWC OCS results should be released soon as the board meet last week. Though I have received an official offer to work as a data scientist at a cyber-security company; a pure research position with conference talks, academic papers and patents. With this offer I have also been accepted into a mathematics PhD program. I will be completing my PhD part-time reference working full-time and my two advisors have agreed to these terms.

Prior to becoming academics both of one of my advisors lead/worked on a theoretical research team at Las Alamos National Lab. Both still have connections there and other national labs; reference working there after completing the program if desired. Completing the program will take 6 years and I will 38 at that time, with 10 years professional experience as a data science, 6 years specific to cyber-security.

I am looking at now, 10 and 20 years from now. At 10 years I can technically retire as I have 10 years prior enlisted; O3 retirement at 43.

As IWC officers, and under the assumption I receive a selection letter, which route would you take? I ask because the route above is more defined with many options opening up later. However, I am unsure of the career path for an IWC officer, I am certain they differ depending on specific designator, and where I would be in ten years career wise.

Thank you for the input in advanced.

jriot504
Registered Member

Re: Question on Career Path

Postby Sum1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Can start here... it might take some explaining, but I'm a little short on time at the moment. I can try circling back around a bit later, if that's cool.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/b ... 0BRIEF.pdf

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby jriot504 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Thank you for the information. Navy certainly provides a specific career plan for all designators - though CW/Intel seem to have greater flexibility compared to others such as SWO.

I would appreciate any information you have personally when you have the chance.

jriot504
Registered Member

Postby CNO Guy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm

jriot,

With 10 years of enlisted service you are unfortunately not eligible for an active duty CW/1810 commission as the current policy that governs only allows for 5 years maximum prior service to be eligible. Your OCS application will simply be marked as not eligible when considered for CW/1810 and move on to consideration by other designators that you applied for.

You are eligible for all other active duty IWC (18XX) designators and all Reserve IWC designators.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby jriot504 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 pm

CNO Guy,

Thank you for the information. This is my first time hearing that! I am surprised my recruiter failed to mention to know this regulation as he is usually aware of these regulations.

From my understanding the OCS IWC boards changed. You go up for all IWC designators and if they select you, they select you for the one they believe you are most qualified. I guess am automatically eliminated from one.

jriot504
Registered Member

Postby jriot504 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:28 pm

I will being accepting the offer on the table as the IWC board met a month ago though hasn't posted results. Having delayed the other offer, I can't push it any further without risk of them rescinding it.

Thank you all for the advice.

*** Edit - Found out I wasn't selected today, so the decision was never there to begin with.

jriot504
Registered Member

Return to Navy Information Warfare