Leave Means "Leave Me Alone"

Anything not covered elsewhere

Leave Means "Leave Me Alone"

Postby Mjölnir » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:47 pm

So, have been at this post for about 8 months, I have noticed a trend of many offices to call people in on leave.

Remembering back to when PFC Mjölnir graced the Marines with my presence, I thought about a few things that I talked to my Chiefs (and selects) and Officers about today:

1. Cell phones: everyone expects to be able to get a hold of anyone, at any time. We are in the age of instant access to information and people. I didn't own a cell phone until I got stationed in DC (my 4th Navy duty station -- 2012.) ENS Mjölnir checking into his first Navy station (2003) was asked for his cell #, and I said I didn't have one. The conversation with the Department Head went something like:

DH: You have to get a cell phone.
Me: No, I don't.
DH: How do we get a hold of you if you aren't here?
Me: Call my house.
DH: What if you aren't there?
Me: Leave a message on the machine.
DH: But you won't get it right away.
Me: I will call you as soon as I get it.
DH: Well, you need to get a cell phone.
Me: Sir, if the command deems me important enough to be on that short of a tether, they need to provide a phone or a beeper.

I never got a cell phone.

2. Recalling people from leave: It should be avoided at all costs, but if you have to ... cancel their leave ... which at every command I have been at takes the CO to do. I have had to call in people from leave exactly twice in 13 years and the reason I go through the pain & embarrassment of officially cancelling their leave is to not charge them that day of leave and then the CO knows that they have been inconvenienced and that the section, division, department etc. needs to refine their procedures. One of these two times it was because of access to a dual combo safe (alpha and bravo) and only 2 people in the command had each combo (a back-up for each side). Well, while one person was on leave, the other person with the same combo was hospitalized ... we had no way to get in the safe without that person coming in -- unless we torched the lock on the safe. If the person on leave had not been local ... I would have just approved the torching. He was in the local area & I called to explain. I talked to the CO to cancel his leave, redid the leave paperwork and I walked it through to get it reapproved. I also gave him a 72-hour liberty when he came back off leave. I know other departments on that ship that didn't do things that way & personally I think it was reflected in the morale & performance of their folks.

3. Everyone has their own personal 'give a shit' level. Some people don't mind the call when on leave or liberty to solve an issue. Some do and that is their prerogative. Some people have different levels of responsibility and as you get more senior and generally more responsible for the success of your unit the phone calls while “off the clock” aren’t as big a deal as they used to be.

Bottom line: Leave is different than liberty (after hours, weekends etc.), it is an earned benefit just like base pay; we don't randomly withhold pay from people, and messing with leave should be painful for those doing the messing.

Last edited by Mjölnir on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Re: Leave Means "Leave Me Alone"

Postby Sum1 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:10 am

Why the question mark at the end? You are 10000% correct and in the right to demand that the military we all serve is a two way road that doesn't just exploit the people we've been charged to lead. I did exactly the same thing to someone on the DDG (not a safe issue, but something else). That individual even said that he didn't mind and not to bother, but I did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Sum1 wrote:Why the question mark at the end? You are 10000% correct and in the right to demand that the military we all serve is a two way road that doesn't just exploit the people we've been charged to lead. I did exactly the same thing to someone on the DDG (not a safe issue, but something else). That individual even said that he didn't mind and not to bother, but I did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.

Question mark was a typo ... holdover from a question I had on it when I posted it on another board too.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Stalwart wrote:
Sum1 wrote:Why the question mark at the end? You are 10000% correct and in the right to demand that the military we all serve is a two way road that doesn't just exploit the people we've been charged to lead. I did exactly the same thing to someone on the DDG (not a safe issue, but something else). That individual even said that he didn't mind and not to bother, but I did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.

Question mark was a typo ... holdover from a question I had on it when I posted it on another board too.

I liked the question mark... it seemed to say "tell me what you think!"

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Miscellaneous