Navy Reserve looking for former officers looking to serve

Navy Reserve looking for former officers looking to serve

Postby Tommy Boy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Hello NAVY Veteran Officers,

I am LT Erika Spencer, a Navy Reserve Officer Recruiter in the MD/DC/VA area. As a previous Government contractor, GS employee, and now activated Reservist, I can answer any questions you might have about how the Navy Reserves can work with your civilian career. Below are some of the benefits enjoyed by current Selected Reservists.

V/R,
LT Erika Spencer
Navy Reserve Officer Programs
(301)712-7979

CURRENT RESERVE INCENTIVES

1. Bonuses: Offered for most designators (10K for SWO/SUB/PILOT/EOD, etc).

2. Reserve TRICARE: Affordable ($150-$200 per month for entire family/<$60 for single).

3. Post 911 G.I Bill: Reserve affiliation lets you pass GI Bill benefits to your children (6 years of service needed to pass benefit, reserve years count toward this total). Any Reserve activation time will earn additional educational benefits, even if you did not qualify while on Active Duty, or if an Academy Grad. For additional info: https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://gibill.va.gov/documents/factsheets/Transferability_Factsheet.pdf. After 90 days of activation, GI benefit gives you 40% (tuition & E-5 BAH for school location, DC Area 2012 rates = $2106) For further breakdown of service time vs % coverage go to: https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://gibill.va.gov/documents/pamphlets/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

4. MOBILIZATION or ADSW (Active Duty for Special Work) orders. If you have dependents, and activate to do ADSW or a Mobilization, you will receive BAH for your family at your current residence, plus housing allowance or per diem at activation site. Great deal in DC! There are many excellent ADSW opportunities that are entirely voluntary. Many mobilizations are filled with volunteers and mobilizations are down from previous percentages. Yes, there is always a possibility of getting activated, but with good communication with your Unit, you have a great deal of control over your career (Far more than you do on AD). Currently there is a 1-year dwell for having a baby. 2-yr. dwell if coming off AD or Mobilization.

5. Unit selection/Job and Drill flexibility: You can select your unit and billet prior to joining.
Reservists can reschedule drills around personal events, and many Units FLEX drill or drill from home. If needed, members can request 6 months of no-drill to meet family/school/work obligations.

6. Extra Cash: Drill weekends count for 4 Active duty pay days (no BAH) with allowances. O-4 >8yrs SWO makes $788.44 per drill weekend. AT (Annual Training-2 weeks) and ADT (Additional training at member's request) is a day for day AD pay with BAH and allowances.

7. Transition Assistance/Employment backup: Upon Reservist's request, member can attain local short term orders to assist during times of job transition. These short to medium term opportunities can be found locally or OCONUS, and offer almost immediate temp employment while job hunting. The Reserves is also an excellent local networking tool since Units are made up of working professionals in business, government, and contracting in the local area.

8. Retirement: Capture all past active duty time day-for-day. You can earn additional points by drilling, training, or taking on-line courses. 35 earned points a year make a good retirement year since 15 points are given just for being a Reservist. (You need 50 points to qualify you for a good retirement year). Many online courses for GS jobs, can also earn points. i.e. Defense Acquisition University classes.

9. Exchange/Commissary/MWR privileges: Full-time access for you and your family- a Reserve ID looks just like an AD ID!

10. OFF-Ramp Options: If you find that the Navy Reserve is not a good fit or family obligations need to take priority for an extended period of time, you can join the Inactive Ready Reserve simply by routing a chit, signed by your Unit CO.

Example: 34 year old prior SWO with 6 years prior AD, joins the Reserves after being out for 6 years, drills in the Active Reserve for 10 years, goes to the IRR for the last 4 years due to caring for an ill parent, and retires as an O-5 after doing 90% of his weekend drills and maxing out his on-line course ware points (130 points per year). Member also does 14 days of Annual Training per year (as Active Reservist) and volunteered for a 1 year ADSW to Stuttgart, Germany. At 60 he will start collecting- $3,727/mo. (if he lives until 78, retirement benefit APPROX= $805,171.95).

Retirement Calculator: https://webmail.east.nmci.navy.mil/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://staynavytools.bol.navy.mil/RetCalc/Default.aspx
The 12 month ADSW ups his GI bill Benefit to 60% which he passes on to his eldest child who is about to start college. A minimum $88,689.60, benefit over 4 years (could be much higher with a "yellow ribbon" school)

Estimated Total benefit (retirement + GI Bill Pass down) = $893,861.55

Please contact me if you additional questions about the Navy Selected Reserves, I look forward to working with you in the future. If you know of any prior officers that have gotten off of Active Duty and might want to consider these benefits, please let me know. Thanks.

V/R,
LT Erika Spencer
Navy Reserve Officer Recruiter
(301)712-7979 <tel:%28301%29712-7979> cell
Erika.spencer@navy.mil
or
NAVETRecruiter@gmail.com

Tommy Boy
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm

I am transferring from the ANG, where I was an E-5, to the Navy Reserves as a Direct Commission IWO officer. I used my Montgomery GI Bill to pay for my bachelors and masters degrees. Will I be eligible for more money through the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Messiah62 wrote:I am transferring from the ANG, where I was an E-5, to the Navy Reserves as a Direct Commission IWO officer. I used my Montgomery GI Bill to pay for my bachelors and masters degrees. Will I be eligible for more money through the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

I'm no expert on the subject, but a fellow JO at my command used his Mongomery GI Bill after separating from his Enlisted service. He currently has 1 month left on the M-GI Bill. He has been told that once he uses up this final month, he can then apply for 1 year of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Tommy Boy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 am

Arvizo is right on target. I used my M-GI Bill when I was enlisted and the new program offers you 1 year of benefits. Check with your local base education counselor for more details and for the paperwork you need to make this happen.

Tommy Boy
Experienced Member

Re: Navy Reserve looking for former officers looking to serv

Postby bubblehead » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Threadjack...

IW's who are in the Reserve can change their designator very, very easily. Unlike on Active Duty, change of designators are handled continuously and are based on your ability to succeed in your new designator.

I recently changed my designator from 1835 INTEL to 1825 IP. The entire process, from submitting my package to receiving an affirm, took a month. If you have specific questions about the process, PM me.

Some quick Reserve IP stats, as of OCT 12:

-- IP is now a managed community
-- approx. 220 officers TOTAL
-- approx. 8 O6's
-- approx. 48 O5's
-- JO's remainder
-- not as healthy in O5 level for manning
-- Promotion are really good up to O6
-- picking 3/5 O6's
-- O5 promotion is really good
-- beef up O3/O4

bubblehead