Command/Milestone Results

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby yoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 am

don't think most people can. but, if it's workable into the larger life goals one has - why not? for most of us, it would be a tremendous and humbling honor, no matter how it were to come about.
  • 0

yoshi
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:10 am
Reputation: 19

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby Sum1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:04 am

yoshi wrote:don't think most people can. but, if it's workable into the larger life goals one has - why not? for most of us, it would be a tremendous and humbling honor, no matter how it were to come about.


Completely agree, but when its causing stress and mental anguish to you to not know if you might be in some barely codified professional no man's land...

At the end of the day you make decisions based on the information you have at hand, data you might be able to infer, and the priorities of you and your family. If you have no real idea if something is an option for you, I would personally make choices with my family in mind that maybe doesn't include holding out for the possible chance at getting the call about a leadership job. That's especially true if the job choices you DO make aren't personally and professionally relevant in other ways (i.e. getting a certain experience before retirement) because you're trying to keep your opportunities open.

Now, if you can do all of that AND set yourself up to be positioned and available... by all means go for it. Seems like a lot of mental and physical gymnastics, but to each his or her own.
  • 0

Sum1
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:43 am
Reputation: 15

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 am

yoshi wrote:QIO shouldn't even be in the instruction. It doesn't mean anything, other than an available body with correct timing.


It does mean something and apparently needs to be there.

Two officers that went to command this year were QIO.

The list includes specific names, not just anyone who wasn't selected. Maybe the title is misleading but the process has purpose.

We used to not publish those in the bank. That has since changed. While I am not sure why we couldn't/shouldn't publish those designated QIO, the process still has purpose.
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby Sum1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
yoshi wrote:QIO shouldn't even be in the instruction. It doesn't mean anything, other than an available body with correct timing.


It does mean something and apparently needs to be there.

Two officers that went to command this year were QIO.

The list includes specific names, not just anyone who wasn't selected. Maybe the title is misleading but the process has purpose.

We used to not publish those in the bank. That has since changed. While I am not sure why we couldn't/shouldn't publish those designated QIO, the process still has purpose.


Why not just increase the size of the bank and do away with the confusing and nebulous QIO thing?
  • 0

Sum1
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:43 am
Reputation: 15

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby yoshi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 pm

@ COMEVIL:
not buying it, and i think we'll agree to disagree. As QIO is unknown to all but the detailer and the community leader, how does it matter to anyone else? there's a lot of business between Millington and the community leader - not all of it needs instruction. what does it matter if there are specific names, when no one knows who they are? tell me, were those two QIO who went to command first, second, or third community choices? what if the first, second, or remaining QIO for whatever reason couldn't/wouldn't go to command - would they have left it unfilled? No, they would have worked their way all the way down through all remaining officers; it's common sense. QIO absolutely IS the remaining command qualified officers the community likes well enough (i.e., an order of merit list), nothing more.

Those two "QIO" officers who went to command this year would have gone to command whether QIO was in an instruction or not, and it wold have been the same people. We've done this for years without an instruction. I think the attempt is to be more transparent about a a process which isn't transparent. If one wants transparency, a better way is to generate an IWC-wide OML for all officers from results of the milestone and command screening board (made either completely public or known only to the detailer and the officer. We're doing it in sections now already (screen, bank, the rest); we just only see screen and bank. An OML would help both the community and the officers understand in what capacity, and to some extent for how much longer, they can expect/should be prepared to serve. Also, it would be way more efficient with executive time, since the detailer would have an OML and wouldn't need to confer back and forth with candidate, community leader, next candidate, community leader, etc. Believe we should OML promotion boards, as well, and promote accordingly (something i believe Navy is now able to, and may, partially do).

As for two COs being QIO this year - perhaps we can logically infer needed changes, if we are going to continue with this clumsy process. Maybe we should put more in the bank, and/or take steps to improve slating viability of officers
  • 0

yoshi
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:10 am
Reputation: 19

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Sum1 wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:
yoshi wrote:QIO shouldn't even be in the instruction. It doesn't mean anything, other than an available body with correct timing.


It does mean something and apparently needs to be there.

Two officers that went to command this year were QIO.

The list includes specific names, not just anyone who wasn't selected. Maybe the title is misleading but the process has purpose.

We used to not publish those in the bank. That has since changed. While I am not sure why we couldn't/shouldn't publish those designated QIO, the process still has purpose.


Why not just increase the size of the bank and do away with the confusing and nebulous QIO thing?


Because we are screening opportunity ---- everyone screened is supposed to get assigned ---- vice just marking people qualified. If you get banked, you should still expect to go to command eventually. But there aren't unlimited opportunities, and problems do arise (after selected). So the QIO list is the plan B. I see nothing wrong with this. The key is running the numbers right so they don't have to use a QIO.
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby Sum1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:07 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Sum1 wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:
It does mean something and apparently needs to be there.

Two officers that went to command this year were QIO.

The list includes specific names, not just anyone who wasn't selected. Maybe the title is misleading but the process has purpose.

We used to not publish those in the bank. That has since changed. While I am not sure why we couldn't/shouldn't publish those designated QIO, the process still has purpose.


Why not just increase the size of the bank and do away with the confusing and nebulous QIO thing?


Because we are screening opportunity ---- everyone screened is supposed to get assigned ---- vice just marking people qualified. If you get banked, you should still expect to go to command eventually. But there aren't unlimited opportunities, and problems do arise (after selected). So the QIO list is the plan B. I see nothing wrong with this. The key is running the numbers right so they don't have to use a QIO.


So are you saying the screening to O-5/O-6 Command is somehow different from the screening to O-4 XO/OIC jobs? Because the O-4 XO/OIC screening specifically screens to a bank to avoid the exact situation we're sort of discussing here. Are you sure you're correct in stating that the screenings are done to opportunity?
  • 0

Sum1
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:43 am
Reputation: 15

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

Sum1 wrote:So are you saying the screening to O-5/O-6 Command is somehow different from the screening to O-4 XO/OIC jobs? Because the O-4 XO/OIC screening specifically screens to a bank to avoid the exact situation we're sort of discussing here. Are you sure you're correct in stating that the screenings are done to opportunity?


I have no experience with the XO/OIC board, although that is a brand new process. They screen a ton of IWCs (last year anyway) but many never go. For command, though, it is screen to opportunity.
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:17 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Sum1 wrote:So are you saying the screening to O-5/O-6 Command is somehow different from the screening to O-4 XO/OIC jobs? Because the O-4 XO/OIC screening specifically screens to a bank to avoid the exact situation we're sort of discussing here. Are you sure you're correct in stating that the screenings are done to opportunity?


I have no experience with the XO/OIC board, although that is a brand new process. They screen a ton of IWCs (last year anyway) but many never go. For command, though, it is screen to opportunity.


Reading the precept from this board. Looks like I could be wrong on screen to opportunity.
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: Command/Milestone Results

Postby navyguy2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:39 am

With all that said, I think the bottom line is...You want O5 Command then you better have XO/OIC experience! Not sure this was the norm in the past but it seems to be now.
  • 0

navyguy2
Registered Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:37 am
Reputation: 0

Previous

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron