Navy trying to force me to retire after my PRD

Navy trying to force me to retire after my PRD

Postby Jahosefat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 am

So I promoted to LCDR last September. I am now over 20 years ov service and my PRD is March ‘19. I planned on staying in until at least my PRD but family situations have me needing to retire at least at my PRD if not a month or 2 sooner. I tried to talk to my Detailer today and was told that since I promoted, I would not be allowed to retire until sept 2019, 6 months past my PRD. She cited Navadmin 288/17 which cancels TIG and NLG waivers for retirement. This was done after I promoted, now I am forced to stay 6 months longer than anticipated. Can they do this? I thought the TIG requirement was only to retire at that grade, not obliserv. I already have a job lined up and now I’m not sure what to do.

Jahosefat
Registered Member

Re: Navy trying to force me to retire after my PRD

Postby Sum1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:57 am

This isn't helpful because I don't have an answer to your question, but the question itself is of interest because I might fall into this same exact category in 3-5 years. I also thought the TIG requirement was just to retire at that grade and not a specific OBLISERV situation.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Your answers are below, but I'm guessing you already know. Good luck.

https://doni.documentservices.dla.mil/D ... 811.3A.pdf

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Jahosefat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Sum1 wrote:This isn't helpful because I don't have an answer to your question, but the question itself is of interest because I might fall into this same exact category in 3-5 years. I also thought the TIG requirement was just to retire at that grade and not a specific OBLISERV situation.

I’m being told that it is now OBLISERV which directly contradicts what I was told prior to accepting promotion as well as OPNAV 1811.3A

Jahosefat
Registered Member

Postby Jahosefat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:36 am

So it seems I am screwed. They are saying the 1811.3a doesn’t explicitly say obliserv but it means obliserv. Also that the navadmin doesn’t say there are no NLG waivers but the spirit of the message is that no NLG waivers will be granted. So just a heads up for anyone coming up on the same situation. No TIG or NLG waivers are being granted, even for hardships they are 99% disapproved according to PERS.

So thank you for your 20+ years of service.

Jahosefat
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:44 am

Jahosefat wrote:So it seems I am screwed. They are saying the 1811.3a doesn’t explicitly say obliserv but it means obliserv. Also that the navadmin doesn’t say there are no NLG waivers but the spirit of the message is that no NLG waivers will be granted. So just a heads up for anyone coming up on the same situation. No TIG or NLG waivers are being granted, even for hardships they are 99% disapproved according to PERS.

So thank you for your 20+ years of service.

Well, I suppose you could ask the President for a waiver.

If the Navy didn't want you to have that as an option then they shouldn't have put it in there :)

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby cleansparks » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:35 pm

That's in line with the Force Shaping Lever Chart on the NPC website. It is "NO" across the board right now:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/o ... ivers.aspx

cleansparks
Registered Member

Postby Jahosefat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:44 am

Yep, sucks there was such a drastic shift in policy after I promoted.

Jahosefat
Registered Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner