Moving/Storage for OCS/IWBC

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

Moving/Storage for OCS/IWBC

Postby Fronch » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Here's a stupid question. I'm heading to OCS in August, but I'm a homeowner and trying to figure out what to do with my house and all my stuff. Will the Navy pack/move/store all my stuff during OCS? What about during IWBC?

In general, does anyone have advice for what to do with my house? I'm reluctant to rent, since I've heard horror stories about bad tenants trashing houses. I have enough cash in the back to make mortgage payments for a while, so I was considering just letting the house sit empty while I'm at OCS and then putting it on the market when I get down to Pensacola for IWBC. This assumes, of course, that the Navy will store my stuff while I'm in Florida, hence my question above.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information.

Non-prior 39 year old male
Math Ph.D. (2002)
Pro-Rec Y for IW (20 Feb 2014)
OCS: 31 Aug 2014 (Class 03-15)
Fronch
Registered Member

Re: Moving/Storage for OCS/IWBC

Postby Pwlk » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Your orders to IWBC should be as an intermediate stop enroute to your first command. So yes if you want the Navy will move all your stuff to whichever NIOC you are headed to and store it until you get there.

As for while at OCS, I'm not sure.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:56 pm

They probably won't do anything with your stuff during OCS since there is no guarantee you or anyone else will make it through training. If you're currently enlisted that's another matter. I had to put my stuff in storage and then after OCS they did my packout and moved my stuff.

webmaster
Administrator

Postby Fronch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Yeah, I should have posted an update here when I got the answer from the detailer. The Navy will move me once I graduate, so I'm keeping everything in my house until then, and putting a contingency on the sale (assuming I get an offer by then) that the buyer can't take possession until that happens.

Non-prior 39 year old male
Math Ph.D. (2002)
Pro-Rec Y for IW (20 Feb 2014)
OCS: 31 Aug 2014 (Class 03-15)
Fronch
Registered Member

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare