FY-14 O-4 Selection Board

FY-14 O-4 Selection Board

Postby Twidget » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 pm

The board was scheduled to convene on 02 Apr, so the membership and convening order should be published soon. Hopefully the selection rate improves this year.

Good luck to everyone!

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby Twidget » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 pm

The membership, precept, and convening order have been posted.

The selection percentage for IW is down 5% from last year to 70%. Within the IDC, the selection percentage for Intel is 75%, Oceanography 82%, and IP is 90%.

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby Arkad » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Twidget wrote:The membership, precept, and convening order have been posted.

The selection percentage for IW is down 5% from last year to 70%. Within the IDC, the selection percentage for Intel is 75%, Oceanography 82%, and IP is 90%.

Can anyone beside the OCM share thoughts on why there might be such a disparity across the IDC?

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Twidget » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

For the benefit of some of the junior folks who might not have the background, I'll throw a couple of things out to get the conversation started.

The main thing to know, as far as I've been told, is that promotions are driven by vacancies. If people at the next higher paygrade aren't retiring or separating, then the quotas just won't be there in the same numbers.

A few more people remaining in makes a huge difference in communities as small as ours.

We also have an incredibly "prior-heavy" designator, and one which is also filled with lateral transfers. I believe that this contributes to higher retention of JOs than many other designates. Arkad or IWOCM please correct me if my presumption is wrong. I also believe that this makes us more likely to experience bottlenecks during periods of economic uncertainty. I don't know the retention numbers, so this is pure speculation.

Am I totally off-base, or missing something else important? I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about the matter, and I know we'll get some expert opinion response.

Twidget

Postby arvizo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:13 am

IP seems to have a lot of prior Enlisted as well. And until recently, there was no way to directly commission as an IP, meaning most IPs have several years of service when they become IPs. So given these items, why would IP selection be 20% higher than IW? IP has had many years recently with 90% and above selection to LCDR.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:23 am

arvizo wrote:IP seems to have a lot of prior Enlisted as well. And until recently, there was no way to directly commission as an IP, meaning most IPs have several years of service when they become IPs. So given these items, why would IP selection be 20% higher than IW? IP has had many years recently with 90% and above selection to LCDR.

Part of the reason that you see the max of DOPMA is because there has been growth in IP control grades.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:14 am

Twidget wrote:We also have an incredibly "prior-heavy" designator, and one which is also filled with lateral transfers. I believe that this contributes to higher retention of JOs than many other designates. Arkad or IWOCM please correct me if my presumption is wrong. I also believe that this makes us more likely to experience bottlenecks during periods of economic uncertainty. I don't know the retention numbers, so this is pure speculation.

I've heard our prior-heavy environment described as a reason why many jobs in the O-4+ grades were, in the past, actually vacant. We had too many O-4 and above gigs and not enough officers to fill them. Now, from this point on I'm just guessing, but I imagine it's possible a billet review was done and some of the fluff was cut. How many billets recently out there for O-3+ are purposefully being left vacant for the near future?

I know I'm in the process of selecting orders and there doesn't seem to be much out there if you want to do something other than a Big Four or fleet staff.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Pwlk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Information Warfare (IW) Community Considerations
Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the core missions of electronic warfare, computer network operations, and signals intelligence is the foundation of Navy Information Warfare. Information Warfare officers should have balanced professional experience, to include demonstrated leadership, Navy and Joint operational proficiency and qualifications, and technical expertise. Proven and sustained superior performance in documented positions of leadership and in difficult, challenging, and arduous operational assignments is the ultimate test of readiness for promotion.

Information Dominance Corps (IDC) Community Considerations
a. The IDC was established in 2009 in recognition of Information Dominance as a modern warfighting discipline. Comprising officers of the Oceanography (180X), Information Warfare (181X), Information Professional (182X), and Naval Intelligence (183X) communities and the Space Cadre, the IDC was created to more effectively and collaboratively lead and manage the cadre of officers, enlisted, and civilian professional who possess extensive skills in information-intensive specialties.
b. The Navy needs officers who are agile, flexible, and fully capable of leading across the range of functions associated with the IDC. This must be considered when evaluating officers within IDC communities. Evaluate the officer's potential to be an IDC leader, as a priority. Attributes and milestones within communities are secondary to this consideration. As such, board members should view an officer's performance in leadership assignments as an indicator of his or her ability to lead diverse organizations across the range of IDC missions and functions.

Retyped to make searchable.

The second paragraph of the IDC consideration is new for FY14.

IDC considerations outweigh specific community considerations? Interested in hearing a specific example of this.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:02 am

Pwlk wrote:IDC considerations outweigh specific community considerations? Interested in hearing a specific example of this.

Without having any proof, I feel as though this is mitigation for lateral transfers.

That said, what would be a milestone to complete prior to O-3? I feel like the only two cards that need punching are IDWO qualification and cryptologic experience at-sea (DIRSUP, PCS Afloat, etc.).

That said, for lateral transfers the timing wouldn't necessarily work out to permit an operational tour prior to screening for O-4.

Again, I'm just spitballing, would appreciate any insight from those with more experience. I'm certainly interested in the answer though as a lat transfer myself.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 am

Just had a minute to let everything sink in; it's very telling that the URL selection rate has dropped to statutory limit of 70% for the second year in a row. While we might grumble about the small zones/low selection in our community, I don't think we have that much to be upset about because everyone is drinking from the same straw at this point.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner