NPS Programs

Postby Schlag » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:31 am

Would this coincide with us becoming URL? :eek:

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:06 am

Schlag wrote:Would this coincide with us becoming URL? :eek:

Not sure, but I do know that I never saw the URL thing in a brief or powerpoint... I did see the extended initial tour thing in numerous forms. Whether or not it's still a possibility or how serious it was isn't a question I can answer.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 am

My apologies, I think I picked the wrong icon for some tongue and cheek humor. But as it turns out I think I should check my email more often.... just saw the IDC Sync sent out an email regarding that very issue.

Looks like it's put off, for now...

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm

OneShot wrote:Arvizo,

That's awesome. Was getting your Masters in CS at NPS just as difficult as you expected or more/less?

It was what I expected. I had a much more relevant educational background than most of the military students, so some were really struggling. My undergrad is Computer Engineering. Some military students had absolutely no knowledge of programming. The civilian students had excellent educational backgrounds.

The CS program at NPS is unique in that it actually starts students with the basics of CS. It's like a BS and MS combined. Students can opt to test of classes in order to take more advanced classes. I graduated in 2007, so things may have changed. I've heard there's a push to get the Masters programs at NPS down to 18 months, which means they would obviously have to cut out quite a bit from the 24 month program I did.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby OneShot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Very very interesting. I have a BS in Computer Science, so if I ever get accepted I would most likely be pursuing a MS in CS at NPS. A year and a half for a MS in CS sounds absolutely delightful. I don't think it would be too challenging for me considering my background.

OneShot
Registered Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Different tracks within the CS program will dictate level of challenge, as will your choice of thesis topic. And like anything, much easier to get a B than an A...
Additionally, I know folks that added in a second major (EE, Applied Math), pursued some special programs/fellowships, or worked on additional certificates while there.

BREAK

As far as URL conversion, I saw an interesting brief alligning all IDC folks together for rankings and promotion boards... the fun continues... URL here we come,

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:As far as URL conversion, I saw an interesting brief alligning all IDC folks together for rankings and promotion boards... the fun continues... URL here we come,

Email from Vice Admiral Rogers to the community leadership essentially reported that the CNO shot down the idea of IW/IDC moving from RL to the URL (at least for the time being).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Sum1 wrote:Email from Vice Admiral Rogers to the community leadership essentially reported that the CNO shot down the idea of IW/IDC moving from RL to the URL (at least for the time being).

Not quite true.

URL is currently tabled, not shot down, as IDC moves forward.

Exact words were, "He is not convinced, however, that the IDC needs to move into the URL to achieve this goal--we will re-evaluate this initiative (every six months or so) as we move forward."

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 am

COMEVIL wrote:Not quite true.

URL is currently tabled, not shot down, as IDC moves forward.

Exact words were, "He is not convinced, however, that the IDC needs to move into the URL to achieve this goal--we will re-evaluate this initiative (every six months or so) as we move forward."

And it came from VADM Card, not VADM Rogers...

Those of us interested in sharing your thoughts and asking questions regarding the migration to a single community or any other topic where senior leadership actually monitors, please consider establishing an account at the VADM Rogers' commissioned community forum. You must be a member of the IW Community (Officer, enlisted or civilian) and establish an account using your real first and last name.

Community Migration Thread - http://cryptocore.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=77

Arkad
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Graduate Education