Orders process for STA-21 candidates upon commissioning

Orders process for STA-21 candidates upon commissioning

Postby IW_Buckeye » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:28 pm

I am inquiring to see if anyone can provide some feedback on how the orders process works or worked for them when commissioning as an IW through the STA-21 program. I am going to graduate and commission this August and trying to plan as far out as possible. Here are some specific questions I have.
1. Will I know where I am going before commissioning and will I have orders prior to?
- I have school age children and want to figure out where they will start the
next school year.

2. Will I go to IWBC right away and is there a schedule for this years courses available anywhere

3. Does past experience/training provide any input on where/what assignment I will get.

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

IW_Buckeye
Registered Member

Postby Syzygy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 pm

STA-21 OCs (and NROTC Mids) currently deal directly with the IW new accessions detailer to negotiate orders prior to commissioning. Get in contact with him soonest to discuss options (iwnewaccessions@navy.mil). He has been very helpful to everyone I?ve spoken to, including myself, and will certainly make the time to answer any questions you may have.

The norm has been to submit your ?order preference sheet? (found on NPC /Pers-47/IW/ general info) ranking your choice of duty stations between the NIOCs in GA, HI, MD, and TX. I can?t speak specifically to the timeline for receiving verbal orders as I?m sure you understand how those things are subject to change but generally we?ve all known our ultimate duty station at least two months out.

Those commissioning in May who I?ve spoken to are attending IWBC late the following month, however it isn?t unheard of to have a two to three month wait before classing up. The eight week courses have run consecutively with one week breaks in between so you can get a rough estimate of when upcoming classes convene.

Syzygy
Registered Member

IWBC CLASS UP

Postby jitter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 am

Syzygy wrote: The eight week courses have run consecutively with one week breaks in between so you can get a rough estimate of when upcoming classes convene.

IWBC is still eight weeks in length but now has 7 classes per year starting every 6 weeks Jan-Oct with the last class for the year finishing right before Thanksgiving. As stated above the new accession detailer can help you out with all your questions.

jitter
Experienced Member

Thanks for the info

Postby IW_Buckeye » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks for the input. I sent an email along with a orders preference sheet to the new accessions detailer last week, so I got that covered. I suppose if I don't hear from him this week I will resend it. I sure he probably has a million emails.. Appreciate the responses.

IW_Buckeye
Registered Member

Postby Syzygy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 am

jitter wrote:IWBC is still eight weeks in length but now has 7 classes per year starting every 6 weeks Jan-Oct with the last class for the year finishing right before Thanksgiving.

Thanks for clarifying for us Jitter.

Syzygy
Registered Member

Return to STA-21