Lat Xfer, Where Next

Lat Xfer, Where Next

Postby iwarrior » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:08 am

I just got picked up for IW on the June Lat Xfer board. I am a SWO LT with 4 years in. I'm wondering what types of billets people would consider for their first tour in IW. I know that the traditional path is to go to a big NIOC and then potentially to sea on something, but how set in stone is that and would there be benefit to changing the order around? I'm not really optimistic about the notion of doing DirSup, and would probably be trying to get into something else. Am I going to have to do a pre-O-4 sea tour, and could I knock that out now on a big deck then go to a major site or is that too unconventional?

iwarrior
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 am

I anticipate the responses you'll get will say something along these lines:

"Since you're new to the community it behooves you to go to a site where you can do the IWO qual, the IDC pin qualification, become familiar with the community, and build your technical expertise before you head to a big deck where you're 1 of 1 on your own."

Because of your background as a SWO I don't know if you'll get sent back to sea again until that big deck or CRC tour (in other words, I'd hope you wouldn't have to do any DIRSUP).

Take all that with a grain of salt as it's the IW community according to a LTJG heading into his operational tour after doing the DIRSUP/Big NIOC thing.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:59 am

I wouldn't worry about a sea tour having been a prior SWO.

For your first tour you should go somewhere where you can get your IW and IDC qualifications, i.e. a big NIOC.

Find another tour after that where you can rank / break out among your IW peers.

Work on your Masters or JPME Phase 1 in you spare time if you can.

PM me if you want more detailed info or to simply discuss the community.

b/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby unlikelyconvert » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 pm

I would go the opposite route and get your sea tour behind you. You will learn the systems and with your SWO background, really be able to concentrate on leading cryptologic and intel (sometimes IP) Sailors. Nothing beats deckplate leadership...And maybe you could follow 7th FLEET lead and be the first USS to get your Sailors EIDWS/IDWO certified afloat on something other than a staff.
NIOCs will always be there. Your operational afloat opportunities decrease rapidly as you move up the food chain.

The world cries out for such: he is needed, & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unlikelyconvert
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Sum1 wrote:I anticipate the responses you'll get will say something along these lines:

"Since you're new to the community it behooves you to go to a site where you can do the IWO qual, the IDC pin qualification, become familiar with the community, and build your technical expertise before you head to a big deck where you're 1 of 1 on your own."

Because of your background as a SWO I don't know if you'll get sent back to sea again until that big deck or CRC tour (in other words, I'd hope you wouldn't have to do any DIRSUP).

Take all that with a grain of salt as it's the IW community according to a LTJG heading into his operational tour after doing the DIRSUP/Big NIOC thing.

You need to go to a NIOC first. I did a similar path and just finished up my CRC tour. DIRSUP can't hurt you but it's more inportant for you to see the other stuff right now. Detox a bit from the SWO community and enjoy some shore duty.:D

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby CNO Guy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 pm

As a matter of practice all first tour IWOs will go to one of the big four NIOCs. If you really want to discuss deviations from that you should talk to the detailer or the IW OCM who may (stress the may here, but it is doubtful), entertain a deviation from that based on your past experience in your previous community.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Return to Lateral Transfer