Pilot to IP/IW

Pilot to IP/IW

Postby NavalAviator » Mon May 30, 2016 12:26 am

Pilot coming up on MSR considering LAT transfer for a myriad of reasons that I will not bore you with. Questions:
1. Are IP/IW all lat transfers, or do they have direct accession?
2. What is each communities size (JO's/Dept Heads). What are the promotion numbers looking like?
3. How many do they take in from each cycle. (I know these numbers are on bupers somewhere, but painful to find)
4. Are letters of recommendation from the receiving community better for getting picked up rather than letters of recommendation from your releasing community?
5. Is there any truth to the rumor that whatever options you put as your second and third choice during lat transfer that those communities will not even look at your package. (heard that from an HR guy)
6. What are the odds of getting picked up for lat transfer on the first vs. second time around.

Thanks in advance for all helpful responses. Cheers and a great Memorial Day weekend.

NavalAviator
Registered Member

Re: Pilot to IP/IW

Postby CNO Guy » Tue May 31, 2016 1:36 pm

1. Are IP/IW all lat transfers, or do they have direct accession?

- Both have direct accessions, with CW (previously IW) having more accessions and IP generally having more lateral transfers.

2. What is each communities size (JO's/Dept Heads). What are the promotion numbers looking like?

- The CW community is ~1100 Officers and the IP community is ~700 Officers. Promotion opportunity for both communities to LCDR is tracking slightly higher than the Navy norms.

3. How many do they take in from each cycle. (I know these numbers are on bupers somewhere, but painful to find)

- CW last year took 10 Lateral transfers and IP took 38 Lateral transfers; however, these numbers will change next year with the new FY17 accession plan, likely signed out in ~OCT timeframe. You can also look at the LOI and convening orders to the lateral transfer boards with community info at: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/b ... tatus.aspx

4. Are letters of recommendation from the receiving community better for getting picked up rather than letters of recommendation from your releasing community?

- LORs are good, but read the convening order for what the given community is looking for, e.g. education and operational experience.

5. Is there any truth to the rumor that whatever options you put as your second and third choice during lat transfer that those communities will not even look at your package. (heard that from an HR guy)

- Not true, but there is likely truth to a community wanting to pick up individuals who want their particular community first.

6. What are the odds of getting picked up for lat transfer on the first vs. second time around.

- Depends on number of applications, number of quotas for your community(ies) of choice, and the strength of your application.

For Lateral Transfer questions you should reach out to the Officer Community Manager (OCM) for the communities you are considering and talk through your circumstances for some advice. Their contact info can be found here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/o ... fault.aspx

Best of luck as you look to pursue different career options beyond aviation!

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby NavalAviator » Tue May 31, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. There are many more aviators, even though most won't admit it, with the same questions.

NavalAviator
Registered Member

Postby NFO2IW2016 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:06 am

NavalAviator wrote:Thanks for the reply. There are many more aviators, even though most won't admit it, with the same questions.

Hey NavalAviator, I am hearing some good things coming out of the IWC communities lately, especially from aviators. Is there a good number of lat transfers coming out from the aviation side up farther down the road from where I'm at? (Attrite at the TRAWING level.)

From what I've heard from a helo bubba, CW was a career saver seeing as it's exploding with opportunity. I was just wondering if you have heard similar things. Thanks.

NFO2IW2016
Registered Member

Postby NavalAviator » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 am

There's no good way to answer that. First, your situation is far different than those who winged and finished out their 6/8 year MSR. Not a dig on anyone who attrite's or DOR's, but it's the truth. Ironically, it's easier for people who attrite to lat transfer than people who winged, and for various reasons choose a different path down the road. You're in a good position if you are an Academy or ROTC guy because the Navy wants to get some payback for their investment in you, meaning they are inclined to send you somewhere. The reason you are hearing good things from aviators who transferred to the IWC community is because they are the ones that got picked up for a lat transfer, which probably saved their career and/or is helping them get to retirement. However, for each bubba that got picked up, dozens of people 2XFOS'ed and were sent packing. If you want to see the actual numbers of who transferred to what community when, just check out the link in the reply to my initial post. As far as the CW/IWC community exploding with opportunity, this is statistically true when you compare the abysmal promotion rates of the aviation community to IWC (or any other community for that matter). Though, in true Navy fashion, PERSCOM will over recruit for the IWC community because cyber is all the rage right now, and eventually that community will be closed out and facing the same problem the aviation community is facing now. My advice- get in while they are accepting applicants!!!

NavalAviator
Registered Member

Postby NFO2IW2016 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 am

NavalAviator wrote:There's no good way to answer that. First, your situation is far different than those who winged and finished out their 6/8 year MSR. Not a dig on anyone who attrite's or DOR's, but it's the truth. Ironically, it's easier for people who attrite to lat transfer than people who winged, and for various reasons choose a different path down the road. You're in a good position if you are an Academy or ROTC guy because the Navy wants to get some payback for their investment in you, meaning they are inclined to send you somewhere. The reason you are hearing good things from aviators who transferred to the IWC community is because they are the ones that got picked up for a lat transfer, which probably saved their career and/or is helping them get to retirement. However, for each bubba that got picked up, dozens of people 2XFOS'ed and were sent packing. If you want to see the actual numbers of who transferred to what community when, just check out the link in the reply to my initial post. As far as the CW/IWC community exploding with opportunity, this is statistically true when you compare the abysmal promotion rates of the aviation community to IWC (or any other community for that matter). Though, in true Navy fashion, PERSCOM will over recruit for the IWC community because cyber is all the rage right now, and eventually that community will be closed out and facing the same problem the aviation community is facing now. My advice- get in while they are accepting applicants!!!

Lots of good information to grab and take in. I did not mean to confuse you, but I have actually been picked up for CW as per last weeks POCR results, so... I'm in! I was just trying to see if you have heard similar things from where you are at about coming to the dark side :cool: best of luck to you!

NFO2IW2016
Registered Member

Postby NavalAviator » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:08 am

I haven't heard anything bad, so that's good. I have friends all over the IDC community, and they seem to be happy. Every community has its own things they do not like, but that's just how it is. Good luck in your new career.

NavalAviator
Registered Member

Postby CNO Guy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 pm

NavalAviator wrote:...Though, in true Navy fashion, PERSCOM will over recruit for the IWC community because cyber is all the rage right now, and eventually that community will be closed out and facing the same problem the aviation community is facing now...

While the latter portion of this statement may be true at some point in the future it's not now, and the first part about over recruiting for Cyber simply isn't so. The IP community has been allowed to "over recruit" or over access slightly due to some ongoing community restructuring efforts; however, that ends in FY17 and the rest of the IWC is consistently not allowed to over access with several other smaller RL & Staff communities in order to allow the larger URL communities to do so. That is in no way an emotional response to the statement, it's simply the truth. This is due in large part to compensate for losses during the robust URL training/qualification pipelines as was mentioned earlier in this thread and results in the smaller RL & Staff communities being able to recoup some of the talent where it makes sense via the Probationary Officer Continuation & Redesignation (POCR) Board process to overcome their accession shortfalls.

Lateral Transfer (separate from POCR) remains competitive for the IWC communities due to a few things:
1 - There is a lot of interest in what we do
2 - Our business is growing where the rest of the Navy is not, and in some cases shrinking
3 - Not all officers are allowed to consider IWC at commissioning, ROTC & USNA specifically
4 - The IWC/Staff LDO Off Ramp has forced all LT LDO's to pursue lateral transfer to their Sister RL/Staff designator if they wish to serve beyond LT (much more to this topic, but won't hijack the thread)
5 - Officers often hit career impediments in their parent designator (DH/XO screening, milestone/command screening, etc.) and seek to do well elsewhere

Won't continue the list, but suffice it to say, that there is a lot of competition for various reasons to Lateral Transfer into IWC designators. At the end of the day this is a good thing for the IWC as we draw talent into our ranks and afford deserving officers a chance to continue service.

Again, if you are interested in Lateral Transferring you need to reach out to your current OCM (to get an OUT quota) and the OCM that represents the community you are interested in (to determine IN quota opportunity). Talking through individual circumstances helps the OCMs gain an appreciation for what Year Groups they should be expecting to apply during upcoming boards and gives the members a better appreciation of expectations and competition. I talk to interested Lateral Transfer applicants (as well as POCR candidates) daily so don't feel as though you are imposing in any way.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby jay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:57 pm

CNO Guy wrote:Lateral Transfer (separate from POCR) remains competitive for the IWC communities due to a few things:
1 - There is a lot of interest in what we do
2 - Our business is growing where the rest of the Navy is not, and in some cases shrinking
3 - Not all officers are allowed to consider IWC at commissioning, ROTC & USNA specifically
4 - The IWC/Staff LDO Off Ramp has forced all LT LDO's to pursue lateral transfer to their Sister RL/Staff designator if they wish to serve beyond LT (much more to this topic, but won't hijack the thread)
5 - Officers often hit career impediments in their parent designator (DH/XO screening, milestone/command screening, etc.) and seek to do well elsewhere

This was a great breakdown of the challenges. Thank you.

jay
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:19 am

CNO Guy wrote:3 - Not all officers are allowed to consider IWC at commissioning, ROTC & USNA specifically

I thought that had changed. Or is that still in the works for USNA?

HH-60H
Administrator

Next

Return to Lateral Transfer