SNA to IW/Intel

SNA to IW/Intel

Postby jpsno3 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 pm

I am currently an SNA in Primary flight training. Training has been going well so far, however, I am not sure if it is the right fit for me. I am beginning to research into other possible communities in case I do decide to re-designate. I am most interested in IW and Intelligence. Even as a pilot, I would want my mission to revolve around some type of intelligence gathering.

My educational background consists mainly of math, science, and some basic civil and environmental engineering. I have a BS is Marine Science. However, I have read that in order to be competitive they like to see applicants with a background in computer science, political science, international relations, or foreign language. Do you think because I am already in the Navy, that I may have a higher chance of being selected for either community even though I do not have much background in these areas? I know the new fiscal year is fast approaching so that may also help increase my chance of being selected.

Lastly, I am having a hard time making the key distinction between Intelligence and Information Warfare. To me, Intel is more like an analyst position: gather-analyze-and report. IW seems like there is a lot more to it.

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

jpsno3
Registered Member

Re: SNA to IW/Intel

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 pm

jpsno3 wrote:I am currently an SNA in Primary flight training. Training has been going well so far, however, I am not sure if it is the right fit for me. I am beginning to research into other possible communities in case I do decide to re-designate. I am most interested in IW and Intelligence. Even as a pilot, I would want my mission to revolve around some type of intelligence gathering.

My educational background consists mainly of math, science, and some basic civil and environmental engineering. I have a BS is Marine Science. However, I have read that in order to be competitive they like to see applicants with a background in computer science, political science, international relations, or foreign language. Do you think because I am already in the Navy, that I may have a higher chance of being selected for either community even though I do not have much background in these areas? I know the new fiscal year is fast approaching so that may also help increase my chance of being selected.

Lastly, I am having a hard time making the key distinction between Intelligence and Information Warfare. To me, Intel is more like an analyst position: gather-analyze-and report. IW seems like there is a lot more to it.

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

From the Navy's website (bold emphasis is mine):

"Intelligence Officers serve at the forefront of national security as they:

- Supervise the collection, analysis and dissemination of critical information
- Provide intelligence support to US Naval forces and multinational military forces
- Advise executive-level decision makers in US government
- Lead Enlisted personnel in gathering and analyzing mission-sensitive intelligence
- Serve as a key part of the Information Dominance Corps in its mission to gain a deep understanding of the inner workings of adversaries and developing
unmatched knowledge of the battlespace during wartime"

and...

"Conducting psychological operations. Managing the application of cryptography and cryptanalysis. Advising decision makers at all levels. Information Warfare Officers help ensure that America’s Navy capitalizes on the information vulnerabilities of our enemies. Their responsibilities include:

- Deterring and defeating aggression
- Providing warning of intent
- Ensuring freedom of action
- Achieving military objectives in and through cyberspace
- Maximizing the use of sensors, weapons, network communications and control systems
- Being a key part of the Information Dominance Corps in its mission to gain a deep understanding of the inner workings of adversaries and
developing unmatched knowledge of the battlespace during wartime"

If you read nothing but the bold you should get a better understanding of the difference between the two. In many situations, the IW Officer works for the Intelligence Officer (Cryptologic Resource Coordinator working for a CSG N2) with a focus on ensuring Cryptologic/SIGINT requirements are satisfied. IW Officers are also at the forefront of Cyber Warfare.

Regarding your lat/xfer, I would assume (bad word, I know) that an Officer already serving would have an edge on others, given his qualifications, etc. In your case, you sound like a good fit for IW.

Please free free to PM me with any other questions.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby VQ Bubba » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Are you considering re-designation after fulfilling your flight contract...or are you thinking about DOR-ing?

If it's the latter...tread carefully, as the ramifications are huge and how NASC views those who DOR can change quickly from "no big deal, let's see what is behind door #2" to "don't let the Navy door hit you in the buttocks on the way out".

PM if you want to talk it through some more.

Cheers,
Sky-Pig

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:55 pm

jpsno3,

I too would offer some caution on DORing from your initial course of instruction or training pipeline as you will be subject to the Probationary Officer Community Redesignation (POCR) board process. What that really means is that you will compete for one of the limited quotas afforded to the other communities, and depending on circumstances, a DOR could work against your ability to continue Naval service as they can be seen unfavorably.

If you have questions please contact the redesignation office or an instructor/mentor there in Pensacola and ask. If you want to talk to someone on the other end please feel free to PM me and we can chat about your particular case.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Return to Lateral Transfer