NPQ'd nuke interested in redesignating to IW

NPQ'd nuke interested in redesignating to IW

Postby tj1371x » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:23 pm

So it's been a few months since I got medically NPQ'd from nuke school and I'll be sending in a redesignation package to a POCR board probably around JAN/FEB timeframe when my medical paperwork comes back from BUMED. I'm really interested in transferring to IW, and have been since I was a midshipman. I ended up getting picked up for subs during ROTC, but it didn't seem to work out for me (I'm still a first year ENS).

I'm asking what my chances would look like for getting picked up by the IW community around that timeframe in 2014?
I reached out to the IW community manager, but he said they're not allowed to discuss quotas, and didn't have a lot of advice for me in general. Unfortunately I don't have a degree in anything computer related. I graduated with a 3.9 GPA in a tier 2 science major, and I'm a prior enlisted Marine with experience working EW systems against the IED threat in Iraq. Those are about the only things I have going for me aside from some solid LORs and my awards from my enlisted time (including combat awards). My number two pick on the wish list is Intel, but I feel like either of those designators is hard to get I imagine, especially with all the downsizing going on. Any advice or input? Thanks!

tj1371x
Registered Member

Re: NPQ'd nuke interested in redesignating to IW

Postby arvizo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I would be surprised if anyone could tell you your chances because there are so many factors. However, the more designators you list, the better your chances. If you're considering IW and Intel, then IP should be another logical option.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Return to Lateral Transfer