JPME Phase 1

Anything not covered elsewhere

Postby Twidget » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 pm

swsouza wrote:This obviously means we need to overload to get the JPME. For some - it's an easy thing to do - but for others (myself included), the course work is enough (at least if they want to get a decent GPA). If I were in one of the easier curriculums (i.e., MBA, NSA, etc...) then there would be no issues knocking out the JPME. Somebody remind me - do those guys have class more than three days a week?
That's my two cents.

I don't think they do. I hate seeing my neighbors all hanging out and chatting every day when I'm getting out of class and getting ready to chain myself to my desk after dinner.

I absolutely do not agree that everyone leaving NPS can complete their degree AND JPME. This is probably true in general, but IWOs are almost all in rigorous programs leave little room for electives within their major, let alone additional JPME courses.

For those of you who don't know, unless you come to NPS with a BS in EE, you must complete the undergraduate equivalent courses in EE while working toward a masters. If you combine that with the required courses for some of the EE degree tracks (Communications), there is no time to do JPME.

Luckily, I came with at least a handful of courses that counted towards my BSEE, and I decided early on that the Comms track and I did not have a bright future together, so I'm able to get my JPME.

That's not the case for everyone and I think it's an unfairly broad assumption to say that everyone should leave NPS with JPME I.

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby Sum1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:48 am

Sorry to bump a really old post about JPME Phase I, but I had a question question I figured I'd post here while I go to the source (NWC) at the same time.

So it's common knowledge that the CD ROM version of JPME Phase I doesn't count towards the awarding of a masters degree from NWC. In order to meet the criteria you need to complete the courses in residence or at one of the fleet concentration areas in actual class.

My question is does anyone know if its possible to complete JPME Phase I via CD ROM while on sea duty or remote location (requirement to do it this way) now, get the AQD/credit for completion, but then retake the classes for graduate credit later on once assignments bring you to an area where that's possible?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:10 am

Don't know anything about the CD-ROM course, but I did some investigating on the Web Enabled Course. Each course is 4 credits that are accredited by the regional agency (forget the name) and I know for a fact that University of MD: University College (UMUC) and Salve Regina will take the credits at face value, no questions asked.

Both will take up to 18 credits, so if you knock out the core and then take some web-electives (which you can after knocking out the core, you just do it on a space-a basis) then you get 18 free credits.

I was planning on going that route and then using TA to pick up the slack for the remaining credits.

RUMINT has also told me that the Web Enabled and CD-ROM courses are essentially interchangable. That is, if you start one and need to go to another format for whatever reason it's a fairly seemless transition. Sounds too good to be true in my opinion, but who knows.

Know that probably doesn't answer your question directly, but figured it could help.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 am

As far as retaking the courses at a fleet concentration area later, I think you would be out of luck. HOWEVER, you would have the option to attend a senior war college, earn JPME phase II, and earn a Master's degree from NWC or the like sometime down the road in your O5/O6 days...

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

IW OCM wrote:Yoshi - Thanks for the response.

Do I spend my "off-time" pursuing a Master's Degree or JPME? JQO is important and Phase I is becoming a pre-req to senior service war college, while advanced education continues to be highly encouraged. I can't do it all, so how should I be spending my evenings?

I found this thread while researching JPME Phase I.

I did not attend NPS. I started my Master's just after finishing my Bachelor's Degree and was already pushing through the Master's when I was promoted to O2. For me, while figuring I would be around long enough to be an O3 and compete for O4 (based on prior enlisted service), I was interested in JPME as an O2, but it wasn't an option due to rank/experience requirements. I did not pursue JPME as an O3 on a DDG since 22 of 26 months was spent progressing through OOD, SUWC, AAWC, SWO and TAO. Now that I have just rotated from the DDG, I am following a couple of mentor's advice and starting JPME Phase I.

While not ‘required’ to obtain a Master's Degree, I like to learn and since the JPME option wasn't available I completed the Master's first. Was it more of a priority? Not really, it is just what was available to feed the desire to learn. I have heard that graduate education is desired (probably not an implied requirement at the O3 to O4 gate) and I somewhat wish there was more availability of the opportunity to obtain graduate education. I requested to attend NPS for my second then third duty stations but due to the lack of availability my path so far has been: DIRSUP (SUB), DIRSUP (AIR), PCS to a DDG.

Graduate Education or JPME wasn't an option so I went with the next priority job I wanted to do. It seems to have worked out well career-wise and I guess "do what you like, do it well and all things will work out" has actually worked -- so far.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby ColdNavy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am

Having just recently completed my Masters Degree, I decided on moving forward and begin the JPME Phase I. To ensure it?s done before I PCS (June 2014), I decided on the CD Rom based version. After sending the NWC several fact finding questions, this seems to be the best fit for me.
What I learned was:

- The CD Rom based version does not transfer over for Masters Degree Credit
- It holds the same weight as the Online, fleet seminar and NWC/NPS versions

I was told the CD Rom based version can be a bit of a pain at times, but very doable, especially if under a time constraint. I should receive the books and CD?s in the next few weeks? I will post about my experience just in case anyone else is contemplating the CD Rom version?

ColdNavy
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 am

Did they say anything about the online version giving credit for future completion of the NWC Masters? All the online documentation I see says it doesn't, but I've been told anecdotally that it does now.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 am

Sum1 wrote:Did they say anything about the online version giving credit for future completion of the NWC Masters? All the online documentation I see says it doesn't, but I've been told anecdotally that it does now.

If you are interested in the NWC master, I would check with them and not believe any anecdotal advice. NWC has to maintain its academic accreditation and I am not sure they are looking at the CD version to meet its accreditation standards. In anycase, they are the ones who would know - the horses mouth, if you will.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 am

Wasn't talking about the CD version, but your point is pretty much the same. I'll check with them.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby ColdNavy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:20 am

Sum1 wrote:Did they say anything about the online version giving credit for future completion of the NWC Masters? All the online documentation I see says it doesn't, but I've been told anecdotally that it does now.

To be honest, I didn?t ask. I was just interested in the CD Rom version. Sorry?.

ColdNavy
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous