JPME Phase 1

Anything not covered elsewhere

JPME Phase 1

Postby O-4's hate me » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:51 am

Anyone at Ft Meade working on JPME Phase 1? Any suggestions on how to get started or how long it takes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:33 am

O-4's hate me wrote:Anyone at Ft Meade working on JPME Phase 1? Any suggestions on how to get started or how long it takes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Go see Tom McGarry. He has the information you need.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby ShakaHI » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 am

O-4's hate me wrote:Anyone at Ft Meade working on JPME Phase 1? Any suggestions on how to get started or how long it takes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure if you've found the info you need, but I started the JPME Phase I curriculum at Ft. Meade. Classes last approx. 8 mos (Aug-May). There are 3 classes, but NWC will allow you to double up after taking the first class and doing well. The class requiring the most prep work between sessions is Strategy and War (used to be Strategy & Policy). It's a history class on steroids, so plan on reading a ton of stuff. I recommend you take this class first and then if you're ambitious take NSDM and JMO together the next year. I took 3 classes in 3 years and felt that was about my speed. Each class meets once per week. The material taught each week is synched nation-wide, so if you are TAD to a fleet concentration area, you may be able to take the class while away from home. I did this several times during my first class and it both saved me from missing valuable discussion/instruction, but also from the executive summaries (read "penalty papers") levied when a class is missed. Also, if you get deployed (depending on how long is left in your class), the instructors will work with you so you don't have to withdraw from the class. I was able to finish the end of two classes from deployment (Iraq and Westpac). One other thing. You have to apply to the program each year, but don't expect to get your approval/acceptance until almost before class begins. For all 3 classes, I didn't find out I got in until just a couple of weeks before class began. In one case, my letter got mailed to my home of record (parent's house) and I almost found out too late.
I highly recommend this program.

ShakaHI
Registered Member

Thanks

Postby O-4's hate me » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 am

Hey, thanks HI! Never got a response from the POC above.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

JPME vs Grad Ed

Postby IW OCM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:03 am

Given the situation most of you find yourself (e.g. competing requirements and limited time) in both your personal and professional lives, we are very interested in learning more about individual priorities and perceptions.

Which is a higher priority JPME or a Masters Degree and why?

As always, your input is valued and is being heard (and acted upon). Thanks for making two way dialogue a priority!!

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:39 am

I'm at NPS and I am finishing up both. For me, there is no contest. The Master's degree is far more important than JPME, as it is a much more significant accomplishment than just doing the requirements prescribed by the Navy. I like the JPME courses just fine, but they are all centered on how to be a great staff officer. While that is important, it isn't aything i have control over and it doesn't motivate me nearly as much as the Master's degree. Besides, when I am no longer in the Navy (and we all will one day leave the service whether we like it or not), I will probably find it difficult to leverage my JPME. just my 2 cents.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby IW OCM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:13 am

Yoshi - Thanks for the response.

Focus of the question is really about those not fortunate enough to go to NPS. Truth is everyone at NPS should leave with both. For those not at NPS, how would you answer the following...

Do I spend my "off-time" pursuing a Master's Degree or JPME? JQO is important and Phase I is becoming a pre-req to senior service war college, while advanced education continues to be highly encouraged. I can't do it all, so how should I be spending my evenings?

Please do not read into the question, as there is no hidden agenda...

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:27 am

Unfortunately I just completed an IA and have PCS afloat looming in about a year, so I will likely delay both. I suppose that JPME needs to be the higher priority as it seems to have reached more of a "requirement" status.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

JPME vs IW MSSE

Postby TASmith » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 am

Some of the gentlemen in the 595 IW Curric are overloading and getting the JPME courses done. The required courses are NOT programmed into the degree track, but I haven't heard too much complaining about the extra workload.

TASmith
Registered Member

Postby swsouza » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Being that I am currently in the IW curriculum, I have found that I need to direct most of my time towards completing my degree requirements vice trying to get the JPME courses done - not saying that I won't try to knock out JPME. With recent changes to our curriculum, we only get one elective for the entire program. This obviously means we need to overload to get the JPME. For some - it's an easy thing to do - but for others (myself included), the course work is enough (at least if they want to get a decent GPA). If I were in one of the easier curriculums (i.e., MBA, NSA, etc...) then there would be no issues knocking out the JPME. Somebody remind me - do those guys have class more than three days a week?
That's my two cents.

swsouza
Registered Member

Next

Return to Miscellaneous