JPME Phase 1

Anything not covered elsewhere

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:23 am

If you can get orders to complete JPME Phase I at the Naval War College I would highly recommend doing so. It is only a year, yet the experience can't be beat. Access to some incredible knowledge, guest speakers, military and civilian, from around the world, and the opportunity to interact with a services and all designators. Not to mention some very interesting Advanced Research Programs. BL: If you have the chance to go there as a student, take it!

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

A different view

Postby LIVINGIW » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:40 pm

I will take a different view than COMEVIL...
If you can get to NPS as a JO, take it. Get your technical Masters degree and complete JPME I.
Then as an O5, when you have some more time under your belt, get to NWC (or ICAF, Natl WC, other service WC, etc) for the senior course (w/ JPME II credit).
Best of both worlds... get your technical background while you need it... then get your bigger level thinking when you are ready to go on to other staff jobs....

But that said, if they only offer you NWC and not NPS, take it.

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Would the timeline for taking JPME I at NWC be the same as the timeline JOs normally head to NPS?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:I will take a different view than COMEVIL...
If you can get to NPS as a JO, take it. Get your technical Masters degree and complete JPME I.
Then as an O5, when you have some more time under your belt, get to NWC (or ICAF, Natl WC, other service WC, etc) for the senior course (w/ JPME II credit).
Best of both worlds... get your technical background while you need it... then get your bigger level thinking when you are ready to go on to other staff jobs....

But that said, if they only offer you NWC and not NPS, take it.

Ooops! Not comparing those at all, but the topic was JPME, hence my advice.

Not to mention, I am simply not smart enough for a degree at NPS :D

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 am

Yep. As you know, you can knock out JPME I while at NPS. Some programs have it as part of the core courses... others you have to overload.

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

In case you need the links

Postby TomahawkChop » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Since I didn't see the registration links, I've got a blog post here with the links to register for the program:

http://navygrade36bureaucrat.blogspot.com/2013/01/jpme-phase-1-via-distance-education.html

I completed JPME Phase I while I was deployed to Bahrain. It took 8 months for me, and wasn't too bad. I definitely learned a lot, and the NWC course was very well structured and straight forward. I did the CD course, and it worked out well (JS7 was entered on my electronic record without me having to do anything).

I'm also in a distance EE masters program from NPS. I wish I would have started it sooner, mainly so I could extend it out over more than one tour. More than one class a semester is killer, so I recommend starting early. Definitely make a degree plan if you want to do the distance masters. It's possible, just a bigger project than other distance masters, since it's a fairly tough program.

Personally, I hate California, so I really didn't want to go to NPS, hence the distance degree. FYI, you get the 5300L subspecialty enroute if you complete one of the certificate course sets.

http://navygrade36bureaucrat.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-nps-certificates-do-matter.html

TomahawkChop
Registered Member

Postby ColdNavy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 am

TomahawkChop wrote:Since I didn't see the registration links, I've got a blog post here with the links to register for the program:

http://navygrade36bureaucrat.blogspot.com/2013/01/jpme-phase-1-via-distance-education.html

I completed JPME Phase I while I was deployed to Bahrain. It took 8 months for me, and wasn't too bad. I definitely learned a lot, and the NWC course was very well structured and straight forward. I did the CD course, and it worked out well (JS7 was entered on my electronic record without me having to do anything).

I'm also in a distance EE masters program from NPS. I wish I would have started it sooner, mainly so I could extend it out over more than one tour. More than one class a semester is killer, so I recommend starting early. Definitely make a degree plan if you want to do the distance masters. It's possible, just a bigger project than other distance masters, since it's a fairly tough program.

Personally, I hate California, so I really didn't want to go to NPS, hence the distance degree. FYI, you get the 5300L subspecialty enroute if you complete one of the certificate course sets.

http://navygrade36bureaucrat.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-nps-certificates-do-matter.html

Good to hear the CD version went well. I just received my books today and took a few minutes to go through the overview. Having just completed my Masters (which seemed to have covered a lot of the same stuff), hopefully I can just knock this out and get it over with.

ColdNavy
Registered Member

Re: JPME Phase 1

Postby Sum1 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 am

Going to bump an older thread because it's most relevant...

I have two questions for the group:

1) Does anyone have any experience doing the web-enabled JPME coursework? What was your experience like? Pros/cons?

2) Does anyone know of any JOs that our community sent to NWC to complete JPME I, and what does the timing of that normally look like?

I realized recently that as I rotate off to my next job, there's a good chance I'll be in zone for LCDR as I'm leaving. At the very least, I'll be in zone the year after that. I'm in a situation where I'd like to have JPME on my record for the selection board (which would require doing it web-based), but I would also like to have the NWC masters degree at some point. NPS is looking like less and less of an option for me based on my APC and career timing. The normal advice I get is to wait on NWC until I hit the senior course as a O-5, but with my enlisted service that isn't a guarantee.

So, if someone with knowledge of recent selection boards and whether not having JPME I disadvantaged anyone could chime in with a little friendly advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks much.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Tommy Boy » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am

I did the web enabled USMC Command and Staff Course for JPME Phase I and I recommend it. I took the USMC version to learn something new vice taking the Navy course. The course work has paid off, I'm currently wrapping up 10 months of in-residence work here at the Air War College completing JPME Phase II. I was ready to go when a seat in residence opened up for Phase II.

Cons: course work takes two years. You do have to buy 2 books during the course but they are inexpensive. The General's War and The American Way of War
Pros: I took the course while I was stationed in the UK and was the only sailor in a class full of Marines. The USMC assigned me to a seminar based in Hawaii so assignments were due by midnight Sunday Hawaii time so living in the UK I had extra time to complete the assignments. Small class size 8-10 students in seminar. All of the course materials are electronic so it makes studying much easier for me. No boxes of books shipped to your house.

Course follows regular class schedule so time off for Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Class starts on Mondays where you take a five question quiz and post responses to the questions of the week. Tuesdays-Wednesdays you respond to fellow classmates posts and instructor questions. Week starts over. Normally you write one paper per semester. My seminar was made up of Marines from all over the world, Australia, Germany, Nigeria, etc. Support from Hawaii was great! Super instructors who you spend the entire two years working with. USMC partnered with the University of Oklahoma to transfer 15 hours towards a Masters if you need one at the completion of the program. I took advantage of the Master's degree transfer option as well. Classes usually form up in late August.

Link for more info on the course.
https://www.tecom.usmc.mil/cdet/SitePages/csc.aspx

Tommy Boy
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Tommy Boy wrote:I did the web enabled USMC Command and Staff Course for JPME Phase I and I recommend it. I took the USMC version to learn something new vice taking the Navy course. The course work has paid off, I'm currently wrapping up 10 months of in-residence work here at the Air War College completing JPME Phase II. I was ready to go when a seat in residence opened up for Phase II.

Cons: course work takes two years. You do have to buy 2 books during the course but they are inexpensive. The General's War and The American Way of War
Pros: I took the course while I was stationed in the UK and was the only sailor in a class full of Marines. The USMC assigned me to a seminar based in Hawaii so assignments were due by midnight Sunday Hawaii time so living in the UK I had extra time to complete the assignments. Small class size 8-10 students in seminar. All of the course materials are electronic so it makes studying much easier for me. No boxes of books shipped to your house.

Course follows regular class schedule so time off for Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Class starts on Mondays where you take a five question quiz and post responses to the questions of the week. Tuesdays-Wednesdays you respond to fellow classmates posts and instructor questions. Week starts over. Normally you write one paper per semester. My seminar was made up of Marines from all over the world, Australia, Germany, Nigeria, etc. Support from Hawaii was great! Super instructors who you spend the entire two years working with. USMC partnered with the University of Oklahoma to transfer 15 hours towards a Masters if you need one at the completion of the program. I took advantage of the Master's degree transfer option as well. Classes usually form up in late August.

Link for more info on the course.
https://www.tecom.usmc.mil/cdet/SitePages/csc.aspx

Concur with this. I did the same. It was well worth it.

webmaster
Administrator

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous