Command Qualification Board

Anything not covered elsewhere

Command Qualification Board

Postby Mjölnir » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 pm

I recently completed my Command Qualification Board and wanted to post my take on the event etc.

-The board is the last step in the process, know if you are ready for the board before you request one from your CO.

Before the Board:

-It won't be a secret who the board members will be, if possible request a block of their time to sit down with them before your board. Ask them questions about their time in command. Reach out to other post command officers and get their thoughts on command.

-Talk to the / a CMC. What is his relationship / responsibility to the CO? What is his advice?

-I drafted a brief memo that detailed my eligibility for command -- items containted in OPNAVINST 1412.6 para 4: that I am an 1810, date of my IWO qual, status on my O4 milestone tour (currently in it), date of rank (must be permanent O4 or senior). It may not be necessary but seemed to be appreciated.

The Board itself:

-Why you want command. Do you want O5 command, 06 command, yes to all?

-NJP authority. Do you have blanket 'one size fits all' policy for various offenses? Have you glanced at the Manual for Courts Martial? How do you handle the same offense committed by a junior Sailor and an officer?

-Have you thought about your Command Philosophy?

-What are your best strengths & worst weaknesses? How will this help you in Command?

-Is there a difference between an O5 CO, an OIC and an O6 N2/J2?

-There was a brief scenario, basically the worst day ever in command. How do you parse out tasks, manage time and prioritize things.

[Edit]: What are your plans if you are not selected for command?

The follow up after we were done was very positive. For the most part, there are no right or wrong answers (well, some answers could be REALLY wrong) but they wanted a feel for how I thought, my perceptions / philosophy on leadership etc. There were no zingers or stump the chump items.

Last edited by Mjölnir on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Re: Command Qualification Board

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Great info! I had a very similar experience.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:52 am

Fantastic info! Thank you for posting.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby HH-60H » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:20 pm

I agree with everyone else, this is great info. Thanks for sharing.

HH-60H
Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous