Right and wrong

Anything not covered elsewhere

Right and wrong

Postby Mjölnir » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:52 am

So ... was recently told that I have an incredible reputation for technical and tactical knowledge and getting things done but that I may see right and wrong too plainly and be a bit too 'by the book' to work directly with senior folks.

Kind of wondering if that is really a bad thing.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Re: Right and wrong

Postby Sum1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:03 am

If I was told that I see right and wrong too plainly I would avoid whoever told me that, lest I end up in jail. Having seen what happens at a combatant command (and I'm sure anyone at CYBERCOM could also attest to this), not being extremely careful about authorities and (*gasp*) right and wrong could land your boss on the carpet in front of Congress.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:22 am

Stalwart wrote:So ... was recently told that I have an incredible reputation for technical and tactical knowledge and getting things done but that I may see right and wrong too plainly and be a bit too 'by the book' to work directly with senior folks.

This could be a reference to letter of the law versus spirit of the law. Which type are you?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Stalwart wrote:So ... was recently told that I have an incredible reputation for technical and tactical knowledge and getting things done but that I may see right and wrong too plainly and be a bit too 'by the book' to work directly with senior folks.

This could be a reference to letter of the law versus spirit of the law. Which type are you?

It really is dependent on the situation. For the most part I adhere the intent / spirit of a rule or law. I am very familiar with situations where bending or breaking a rule may be required.

While onboard a DDG, the Captain was very clear about if he gave us an order or direction that violated regulations or procedural compliance, to make a log entry and he would sign it (he did it twice with me personally with no heartache.) In some scenarios: professional ethics, security of classified information, inventories etc. (the kind of things that could really foul a career and I would bet a paycheck was what was being referenced), if your boss is going to take your career into their hands but not back it up with a record that they did so, I prefer to stick to the letter of the law.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:34 am

You are who you are. No need to try and adapt to become what others want. If you're a by the book type, then stick with it. Many succeed. If you're a commander's intent type, then stick with it. The real trouble is if you become unpredictable by trying to conform to what you believe someone else wants you to be.

My guess is that leaders know if you're 'letter of the law' or 'commander's intent', and can adapt orders correspondingly. Unpredictable becomes unreliable, and I see no value there.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Return to Miscellaneous