Postby Arkad » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Hope this inspires some discussion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2TDPs8jGA

Arkad
Experienced Member

Re: Talk on Leadership

Postby Schlag » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Sir,

Wanted to let things marinade a bit before replying; but I did have a few questions about your presentation.

How can cooperative leadership be applied to the "Big 4"? This is a question that was in the back of my mind throughout the presentation because it a unique challenge that our community needs to wrestle with (at least from where I'm sitting at one of the Big 4). With a big command and the challenge of what I like to call distributed leadership, how can cooperative leadership be effectively employed without diluting the overall message or leading to a breakdown of military order and discipline?

Also, when you were talking about PO Murphy and success through failure I was curious what the definition of failure was. From where I was (but then again, I was only listening to the presentation, I wasn't living through the preparation and execution of the conference) the entire experience struck me more as a learning experience and a developmental opportunity as opposed to success through failure. I guess I'm just curious what the definition of failure is. I think this is something that we as a Naval Service need to discuss because too often are we afraid of failure and fear the "Zero-Defect Navy". I think John Paul Jones put it best WRT Naval Officers:

"...he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate, though at the same time, he should be quick and unfailing to distinguish error from malice, thoughtfulness from incompetency, and well meant shortcomings from heedless or stupid blunde"

Finally, when it came to 360 evaluation, I've always been leery of the principle because I'm afraid that it may inspire leaders who "dive down low" and try to be popular people instead of effective leaders. I guess the case study that always hangs in my head is the CAPT Honors Movie Night. Sure he was respected, but was he respected as a leader or was he respected as someone that was cool? I have no doubt that there were people that respected him as a leader, but his actions at least left that question in the back of your mind whether it truly was respect or if it was more popularity because he was "cool". At any rate, my question about the 360 evaluation is did you make the results of such an evaluation available to the member or did you keep it in confidence when it came to debriefing the member? Was it simply a "rank-and-stack" evaluation or did it go into strengths and weaknesses? How receptive was the member to the feedback if they received it?

As you can tell, I certainly found the presentation thought provoking - thanks for making it available!

Very respectfully,
-Schlag

Schlag
Experienced Member

Re: Talk on Leadership

Postby ga10 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Can we expedite the dress blue hoody through the uniform board, please?

ga10
Registered Member

Return to Miscellaneous