Conversations on Leadership

Anything not covered elsewhere

Postby Arkad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm

First, I'd like to propose we add a dedicated section to share our experiences, expectations, lessons learned, etc as leaders. In the interim, I offer this link as the initial volley. It is a posting by LT Haag regarding the roles of the CPO and the importance of the relationship between an Division Officer and his/her LCPO.

I hope this gives you reason to both think about and share your viewpoints. I thank Ryan for giving me reason to do just that.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I would like to see this. Would it be done here or via the blogspot link?

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 am

Stalwart wrote:I would like to see this. Would it be done here or via the blogspot link?

I see it as part of this site and pointing to content elsewhere, but clearly this is up to Webmaster. We don't talk about leadership enough as a wardroom and mentorship seems to be an afterthought at best. Folks in Pensacola are finding ways to weave these topics into IWBC with the direct participation of leaders from across the community.

I recently committed to hosting one guest post a month on my blog for a member of the Cryptologic Community. I currently have one lined up for DEC and JAN. Anyone interested in contributing a guest post, please contact me so we can talk about content. Otherwise, I will continue to reach out to the critical thinkers who are brought to my attention.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Though based on the response to this thread, there doesn't seem to be much interest in a leadership conversation, I'll try one more time by sharing this one.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:04 am

Arkad wrote:Though based on the response to this thread, there doesn't seem to be much interest in a leadership conversation, I'll try one more time by sharing this one.

I'm in.

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Arkad wrote:Though based on the response to this thread, there doesn't seem to be much interest in a leadership conversation, I'll try one more time by sharing this one.

The first article is very similar to my experience as a young SWO JO. I had the benefit of others in the goat locker who looked out for me. But, as far as having a discussion on leadership, no one can say its a bad topic. There are so many ways to have it. As you have done, people have included their observations on your blog.

Another topic is about the importance of leadership in your career. If you look at the moves in the IDC, which all communities within are adopting, assuming and excelling in leadership positions is becoming necessary to promote. No more hiding and being happy being one of one. The importance of command is being stressed. Is this right (whole heartily say yes)? But, are we training ourselves to be successful?

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:11 am

Wolfpack wrote:The importance of command is being stressed. Is this right (whole heartily say yes)? But, are we training ourselves to be successful?

Where should this training take place? Mr. Vulcano has been championing an initiative that will allow us to create leadership training opportunities at IWBC. Senior Officers and Senior Enlisted will engage the class starting with the JAN 2013 offering.

I don't see any evidence of leadership training or mentorship for that matter in most of our wardrooms. Do you? What are our JOs reading? What type of involvement is the Command Triad allowing them to have? Are case study's being discussed? Leadership training starts in the workcenter and should be a constant across the command. As MCPON wrote, we need to focus on what we control and we control more than we care to admit. This forum may not be optimal, but it is a viable venue. (rhetorical question) How are you developing those around you?

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 am

Arkad wrote:
I don't see any evidence of leadership training or mentorship for that matter in most of our wardrooms. Do you?

Mentoring is one of those hard things to make work. I am a huge believer and still mentor officers that worked for me over 10 years ago. I would even go so far as to say moved from mentor to sounding board to those who have passed me by. I did/do it, not because I ever had anyone tell me, but because I did not have one and I hated to see those around me screw up like I did. Mandatory programs never seem to work. I have just told those that I have helped - pay it forward, help another.

To me, having another come to me and ask for my thoughts is the best compliment I can ever hope for.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 am

Well said, Wolfpack. I agree with everything you said. The act tat you don't have mentors is demonstrative of our problem. Fortunately, I have benefitted from and continue to appreciate the mentors (both senior and junior to me) in my life. I think you'll like the guest post on my blog (15 DEC), as it is written by an ENS who shares our frustration with the lack of people who truly embrace the role of mentor. Glad to know you are doing your part to change the way things we are. Thank you!

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby atn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 am

Since our staff has post-command folks and prospective CO/XOs, we've begun holding internal bi-weekly leadership seminars (~60 min) to share experiences and insights, and discuss leadership topics of interest. One of the coolest aspects is that the forum is not mandatory, nor was it command-directed. It was self-organized, and continues to be well-attended by seniors and juniors alike.

One of our officers is heading out to command, and so today he shared with us his draft command philosphy. The intent was for the group to benefit from his thought process, and also for the group to constructively critique the draft. It was time very well-spent (I hope he agrees also!).

One of the questions that came up today was "What role will alcohol play at your command (i.e. at command functions)?" This was asked in the context of the gravity of an alcohol-related incident on a command member's career (to include the CO's).

atn
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Miscellaneous