Conversations on Leadership

Anything not covered elsewhere

Postby Arkad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:03 am

What a great initiative. Imagine how much better we all would be if more of us took such initiative to do the same. Our weekly wardroom meetings at my last command had a very similar flavor. Can you please share some of the conversation about alcohol? Would love to hear what others in this forum think about the same subject.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Conversations on Leadership

Postby atn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:19 am

There was a decent amount of discussion on the topic of alcohol, and a good bit of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing. I say that because there was an admission that alcohol tends to remain a part of the culture (civilian and Naval). Some of the follow-up questions included (paraphrasing):

Do you (as CO) allow alcohol at the command holiday party or picnic?

For a DUI arrest, do you administer the same punishment (i.e. NJP) for an E-5 as an O-2 (both twenty-somethings from the same societal background)? (One point of view here was that an E-5's career is likely to recover from NJP, not so much for the officer...this segued into the higher standard to which officers should be held).

It seems there is a delicate balance between treating folks as adults until other evidence presents itself, and simply removing the stumbling block where it doesn't need to be present.

For good or ill, alcohol is a legal part of our culture. I do not, however, believe alcohol is a necessary ingredient to have fun at a 2-3 hour command function. There are plenty of other off-duty opportunities to imbibe if one chooses to do so. The stakes appear to be getting higher for incidents involving alcohol, so it might be time to re-evaluate it's place. I too am interested in other viewpoints on this one.

atn
Experienced Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Great opening discussions. Keep it going.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 pm

atn wrote:For good or ill, alcohol is a legal part of our culture. I do not, however, believe alcohol is a necessary ingredient to have fun at a 2-3 hour command function. There are plenty of other off-duty opportunities to imbibe if one chooses to do so. The stakes appear to be getting higher for incidents involving alcohol, so it might be time to re-evaluate it's place. I too am interested in other viewpoints on this one.

Is it too the point that alcohol has been demonized and is the problem. If one decides to have beer at a function, people will (and do) ask if there is a problem, why they need it, etc.

It should be that the behavior is the issue, and the "drunk like a sailor" mentality has to change.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Mentorship

Postby Arkad » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Enjoyed this guest post from one of our own. What are your thoughts on Mentorship? Do you have a mentor? Do you have any proteges? If the answer isn't an emphatic "yes" to both, you are doing something wrong!

Arkad
Experienced Member

Operate Forward

Postby Arkad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:33 am

How are you Operating Forward?

http://www.pwlk.net/blog/operate-forward/

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I know many people in this forum our FB averse, but as I continue to experiment with ways to facilitate conversation, give us things about which to think, and communicate with interested parties my latest experiment can be found at:

https://www.facebook.com/SeansBlog

No pressure, no obligation, just another attempt at helping us to raise the bar. Naturally, the focus is on leadership development. I am starting to populate a twitter an linked in account with some of the same postings in case you are more comfortable on those nets.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous