Women on Subs

Women on Subs

Postby webmaster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:52 am

[B][font=Arial]Academy Women to Become 1st Submariners[/font][/B]

[font=Arial][B]February 26, 2010[/font][/B]
[font=Arial]American Forces Press Service[/font][font=Arial]|[/font][font=Arial]by Lisa Daniel[/font]
[font=Arial]Female Sailors will begin serving on submarines by the end of next year, with Naval Academy graduates leading the way, Navy leaders told a Senate committee. [/font]
[font=Arial]Navy Secretary Ray Mabus told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Navy is in a good position to move forward with integrating women onto submarines. [/font]
[font=Arial]"We think we learned a lot about integrating women in the services years ago, and those lessons are relevant today," Mabus said. Those lessons, he said, include having a "critical mass" of female candidates, having senior women to serve as mentors, and having submarines that don't require modifications: the SSBN ballistic missile and SSGN guided-missile subs. [/font]
[font=Arial]Finally, Mabus said, "We have the lesson learned to make sure any questions are answered, ... and we're very open and transparent on how we'll do this. We think this is a great idea that will enhance our warfighting capabilities." [/font]
[font=Arial]Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates notified Congress on Feb. 19 of the intended change to Navy policy. Mabus had pushed for the change since taking office in May. Adm. Gary Roughead, chief of naval operations, endorsed the change, saying in a statement released in September that his experience commanding a mixed-gender surface-combatant ship makes him "very comfortable" integrating women into the submarine force. The Navy changed its policy to allow women to serve on combatant ships in 1993. [/font]
[font=Arial]"We have a great plan, and we're ready to go for the first women to come aboard in late 2011," Roughead told the Senate committee yesterday. In a prepared statement to the committee, he said the change would enable the submarine force "to leverage the tremendous talent and potential of our female officers and enlisted personnel." [/font]
[font=Arial]Besides the incoming officers from the academy, the first women submariners will include female supply corps officers at the department head level, Roughead said. The change will be phased in over time to include enlisted female Sailors on the SSBN and SSGNs, he said. Women will be added to the Navy's SSN fast-attack submarines after necessary modifications can be determined, he said. [/font]
[font=Arial]"This initiative has my personal attention, and I will continue to keep you informed as we integrate these highly motivated and capable officers into our submarine force," Roughead told the committee.[/font]
[font=Arial]? Copyright 2010 American Forces Press Service. All rights reserved[/font]

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

As a former submariner

Postby TomahawkChop » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 pm

When asked about whether I thought this would be a problem, I told everyone that most submariners won't care about women on submarines, but they in fact will be livid over the smoking ban!

TomahawkChop
Registered Member

Postby deadlymonkey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:42 pm

TomahawkChop wrote:When asked about whether I thought this would be a problem, I told everyone that most submariners won't care about women on submarines, but they in fact will be livid over the smoking ban!

Only thing I think they would care about was having heads blocked off on a fast attack. So much room on a boomer to kick back and relax that it wouldnt be an issue.

deadlymonkey
Registered Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 pm

From the Canadians.

In 2003, a sonar operator and NCI operator became the first two women to serve as trained submariners aboard HMCS WINDSOR. Today there are four female submariners serving aboard VICTORIA class submarines and others undergoing training; all are noncommissioned members (NCMs). Although one female Maritime Officer did complete the Basic Submarine Qualification course, she did not complete the sea phase of training in order to receive her dolphins.

Interviews with female submariners about their experience serving in submarines reveals common themes: all are mature, experienced sailors who simply wish to be considered one of the crew, and do not want to be singled out because they are women. They are very professional and dedicated to their careers, and work hard to gain the respect of their male peers for their skills as submariners, not specifically as female submariners.

I suspect their American sisters will do as well.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm

I wonder how long it will take before the first submarine CO is fired for fraternization? :cool:

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 pm

It's already occurred - with male Sailors. So, this is just another opportunity.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:22 pm

1610MATROS wrote:It's already occurred - with male Sailors. So, this is just another opportunity.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:20 pm

COMEVIL wrote:I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Oh no...time for the DADT training. :D I had my 2 hour session the other day.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 pm

webmaster wrote:Oh no...time for the DADT training. :D I had my 2 hour session the other day.

I prefer to practice DKDC...Don't know, don't care.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:09 pm

COMEVIL wrote:I prefer to practice DKDC...Don't know, don't care.

I'm with you there.

Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Next

Return to Surface/Submarine Nuke Power