Women on Subs

Postby Sleeper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 am

Sum1 wrote:Good point. Match to you, sir.

Then again, if I remember correctly, their talent was pretty noteworthy in other ways besides but killing.

I'm pretty sure that should be "bug." Paging Dr. Freud...

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby TarHeel98 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Regarding surface ships, it depends. One of the destroyers that I was on did share a head. There were only three women on the ship (including me) out of a crew of near 300, so we just had a sign. If a woman was in, turn it to woman. If it was empty, put to vacant. If a man was in, put to man. Honestly, it was no big deal.

As a woman, it really doesn't matter to me. I have shared bathrooms with men my whole life, both professionally and in my personal life (male family members). To me, this is just a tempest in a tea cup.

Will there be moments of, "I'm so sorry, I didn't pay attention" Yes. But guess, what, we are adults AND we are professionals. I think we will all get past it.

TarHeel98

Postby maj3stic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello All,
Being a submariner, my personal thought is, woman on subs is fine. The problem lies in two areas, one being the how the U.S. views woman and second the way submariners act.
I will address the first by simply saying, woman already exist on foreign submarines. These submarines are smaller than our fast attacks, and yet the women do just fine. The difference is they treat the woman fairly as equals… meaning they all use the same head, birthing is not separated, and they are part of the crew. Here lies the problem, woman in the military are not equal. They are given different weight standards, easier physical requirements, different hair styles, and keeping with the differences, they will be required to have a separate head and birthing. Right off, these woman are going to be treated differently, no matter how you look at it.
The second area is how submariners act. We are a different NAVY…. In an emergency, everyone does a job, regardless if your dress or not, and a lot of guys sleep naked if not very close to being naked. Second thing unique to submariners, we have very different traditions. Traditions where if ever were broadcast would make most of world thing these tin cans are full of gay men. Here are just some common occurrences that have happen on the subs I was on or friends subs:
Guys taking a shower in meal scraps
Guys naked covered up in whip cream
Guys being duct taped to the ceiling (Both dressed and naked)
Wet T-Shirt contest
Guys on board have a tendacy to play a lot with their balls and show them to other guys calling them:
Flying helicopter
Flying squirrel
Bubble Gum
Etc
I mean I really could go on all day but the truth is, its really F-uped on a submarine…. Having females is going to require a HUGE change in the way they due daily business and have fun....

maj3stic
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Surface/Submarine Nuke Power