Stalwart wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:Here are the stats...

1810 Board Statistics:
Board Target Opportunity: 50%
IWs in Zone: 22
IWs Selected: 11 (9 IZ/2 AZ)
IW IZ Opportunity: 41%

High level analysis:
5/11 had or are in Commander Command (4 or remaining 7 had or were in XO/OIC tour)
10/11 had or are in Command Milestone (1 remaining was a CO)
6/11 are JQO
11/11 completed JPME phase I
10/11 completed or are in JPME phase II
10/11 had or are in a JDAL tour (1 remaining under orders to a JDAL billet)
11/11 completed Master's program (6/11 STEM)
2/11 hold acquisition qualifications
3/11 hold cyber qualifications

Am trying to make sure I read that correctly, so the 1 CDR who didn't have a CDR Milestone was a CDR CO?

BT BT

Thanks for the stats ... very good data.

Correct. He went to CMD first and is going to Milestone next.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Re: New CAPTs

Postby Sum1 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Interesting that O-5 Command isn't a Commander Milestone.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed May 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Sum1 wrote:Interesting that O-5 Command isn't a Commander Milestone.

Two separate categories really. You only have to successfully screen for milestone to be considered for command. Most will go to milestone first, but not all.

As far as timing, your first screen for milestone is the same year the results come out. Your first screening for command is a year later, and dependent on a successful milestone screen that year or the year prior.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Thu May 07, 2015 4:14 am

A little confused here with above comments, Are we saying a CAPT select who was in Command as an O-5 is heading to an O-5 milestone billet next? If so, not sure I understand why, given CAPTs versus O-6 billets. We do have a lot of milestones at the O5 level, seemingly just about one for everybody, but I'd think we would look to fill the O6 billets with the newly selected CAPTs.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu May 07, 2015 11:18 am

yoshi wrote:A little confused here with above comments, Are we saying a CAPT select who was in Command as an O-5 is heading to an O-5 milestone billet next? If so, not sure I understand why, given CAPTs versus O-6 billets. We do have a lot of milestones at the O5 level, seemingly just about one for everybody, but I'd think we would look to fill the O6 billets with the newly selected CAPTs.

I don't think that is the case. There is still time after to fill selection and prior to advancement. They could have been in command when the board met and are already in a milestone now.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Thu May 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Interesting. Certainly time to fill another O-5 billet between selection and pinning, no doubt about that. Seems a little OBE at that point, though, and I think we could get more out of our CAPT selects if we used them in that way rather than as an O-5 for a 7th year. I personally prefer working for an organization/people keen on and invested in developing its personnel - a new challenge, an increasing level of responsibility, something commensurate with the selected rank. There has to be some rigor to the billet process, I understand that, but how difficult/pivotal/important is a milestone billet (or any other O5 billet) for someone who is selected to CAPT? Granted, in this case its only one person, so not a huge sample size. There are also a couple of O4 examples where folks IZ will be detaching right after the list is out. Should be interesting to see whether its to an O5 or O4 job.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Thu May 14, 2015 5:22 am

yoshi wrote:There are also a couple of O4 examples where folks IZ will be detaching right after the list is out. Should be interesting to see whether its to an O5 or O4 job.

I would imagine that you can't negotiate for an O5 job if you are not at least selected ... just being IZ is likely not enough (what if you aren't selected?) That said, if you go to a job that you negotiate for as an O4, select just prior to or just after detaching you could spend 16 months (if you don't promote until the following September) as an O5 select in an O4 job; I guess one thing we should be looking at is if it would it make sense to move that officer out of that job as soon as possible (24 months) to get them into an O5 job (commensurate with their grade.)

But, to be fair and honest, we are far from billet purity and in many cases the billet name isn't exactly what we are doing. ie: I am in a joint command, in a Future Ops billet but working as a Battle Captain. I am in an O4 billet, I am the only O4 Battle Captain (the other 4 are O5's), and I am the only one not in a JDAL billet. So, I am doing an O5 job, I think I am performing well but I am not at all doing the job the Navy has me here to do (I am doing the job the Command assigned me to do.) While doing my job, I am the only one not automatically getting Joint Credit, in talking to the Joint Matters office I likely won't get Service Endorsement on my self-nomination -- but am doing the exact job others are getting the credit for ...

Maybe we could migrate away from the billet description a little bit and concentrate on how people deliver in those billets ...

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:26 am

Stalwart wrote:
yoshi wrote:But, to be fair and honest, we are far from billet purity and in many cases the billet name isn't exactly what we are doing. ie: I am in a joint command, in a Future Ops billet but working as a Battle Captain. I am in an O4 billet, I am the only O4 Battle Captain (the other 4 are O5's), and I am the only one not in a JDAL billet. So, I am doing an O5 job, I think I am performing well but I am not at all doing the job the Navy has me here to do (I am doing the job the Command assigned me to do.) While doing my job, I am the only one not automatically getting Joint Credit, in talking to the Joint Matters office I likely won't get Service Endorsement on my self-nomination -- but am doing the exact job others are getting the credit for ...

Maybe we could migrate away from the billet description a little bit and concentrate on how people deliver in those billets ...

We're hijacking this thread a bit, but I'm in a very similar situation. I'm an O-3 billeted to a COCOM J39 working in the Current Operations branch. Because the billet is coded for an O-3 it's not on the JDAL and not considered Joint. I run two separate COCOM-wide programs with responsibilities to all of our service components and operational units in theater, am the SME and do all the planning for two different IRCs (only one in the J39 that does that) and represent the J39 in multiple OPTs and working groups. I'm basically working in the capacity of an O-4 and even, as I've been told by my boss, an O-5 staff officer. I thought I had a good chance at getting joint credit through the experience application program, but if what you're saying is true, then maybe I need to rethink that.

One of the IWOs here is in an O-4 milestone billet related to ISR, but she's the deputy lead for intelligence support to IO. I'm not sure how much ISR planning she's doing in that capacity.

Takeaway is I think we have room for improvement at defining billet requirements and everything else that entails. This will become even more important when/if the announced removal of year groups happens.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Information Dominance Corps