New CAPTs

New CAPTs

Postby CNO Guy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:26 pm

So logged in today after not visiting the site for the last 30+ days expecting to see some dialogue on the recently published CAPT select list, only to see none so figured I might as well start it off.

For those who didn't see the list here it is:

Special Duty Officer (Oceanography)
Smith Neil Tyler 0003 Sterbis Christopher Ja 0001
Towle Wendy Alison 0004 Vincent Dominick A 0002
Special Duty Officer (Information Warfare)
Babcock Jason B 0007 Caroland James L 0001
Count Patrick A 0006 Davis Joel Dudley 0011
Dupre Joseph E 0004 Franklin Clarence Jr 0010
Mole Kurtis Arthur 0008 Noles Danny L 0003
Oubre Donovan I 0005 Rios Cesar Guilebaldo 0009
Slattery Christopher P 0002
Special Duty Officer (Information Professional)
Andrews Nicholas Emanu 0012 Burley Rodney Jay 0003
Correia Joaquin S 0009 Davis George D III 0002
Gainer Andrew D 0001 Gateau James B 0011
Grady Jody Howard 0007 Hand Bobby L Jr 0008
Hofheinz Damen O 0004 Kruk Edward Allen 0006
Roberts Shawn A 0005 Tionquiao Vincent Sant 0010
Special Duty Officer (Intelligence)
Ahn Sowon Silas 0009 Corey Andrew N 0004
Hight Robert Frank Jr 0008 Jakuboski Jeffrey John 0006
Kentch Sean R 0002 Means Madelene E 0003
Scarcelli James F 0007 Snell Benjamin Aaron 0005
Stephenson Henry Alan 0010 Whaley Scott R 0001
Whittinghill Craig Mat 0011

Specifically interested in the thoughts on the IW side of the house simply due to familiarity with the individuals and after reflecting on the list over the weekend, I can't help but think the board got it almost 100% right. Clearly the getting it right is a simple matter of opinion, but in general am pleased with the list.

So let me pose some rhetorical questions and encourage the collective to share thier thoughts as well:

Do those selected reflect our current community values?

We had some above zone selections, each one of them take away opportunity from those in zone, did we get it right?

Who on the list of those selected best represents what you aspire to be as a professional?

With each selection list there are those who were not selected, they sometimes tell as important of a story as those who were; so, who should our next year's above zone selects be?

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Re: New CAPTs

Postby Sum1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 am

Only name I even recognize is CAPT (SEL) Franklin, and that's because he was the detailer. Never worked with or had any experience with other selects.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:45 pm

There is some homework required prior to having this discussion - the Precept and Convening Order. These alone guide the board in making their decisions.

Link to the precept is below...

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyofficer/Documents/FY-16%20SECNAV%20CORE%20PRECEPT.pdf

For some reason the link to the convening order has been removed.

Active O-5 Line Convening order is linked below for example only...

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyofficer/05line/Documents/FY-16/FY-16%20AO5L%20CONVENING%20ORDER.pdf

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Sat May 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I have worked with or in close proximity to 9 of the 1810's ... all are solid individuals.

CNO Guy wrote:Do those selected reflect our current community values?

IMO, yes. I see a good mix of backgrounds and skill sets that represent what 'we' as a community are doing (or have done) and where we are going.

CNO Guy wrote:We had some above zone selections, each one of them take away opportunity from those in zone, did we get it right?

If an above zone selectee is the best & fully qualified for that year, then yes. Same would go for a below zone selectee (not likely for CAPT but just saying.)

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue May 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Board convening order is back online...

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyofficer/06line/Documents/FY-16/FY-16%20AO6L%20CONVENING%20ORDER_Web.pdf

Important to read the entire document, but the section specific to IW CAPT selection starts on page 14.

Note the delineation between fully qualified and best qualified (paras c and d).

As an AREC (not for this board) I watched board members comb through this guidance and look for specific examples in each member's records.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Tue May 05, 2015 7:03 pm

It is hard not to note that the "best qualified officers" will have achieved advanced education in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics ... which is disheartening for those who did not get a chance to attend NPS.

I hate to keep pounding away at that point, but have heard various reasons why some people started getting denied a the opportunity; while not speaking for anyone else I will use only my personal stats:

AQD: I have an AQD to attend the technical programs at NPS.
PRD timing: My PRD lined up with the curriculum start dates at least twice.
Experience: My first and second tours were DIRSUP, my third was PCS afloat ... so I had gathered some fleet experience.
Record that indicated quality performance: if my record was good enough to select to O4 early, it should be good enough for me to attend NPS.

I was told various reasons I wasn't getting orders to NPS:
"we don't send second tour JO's" -- which wasn't true.
"you have a lot of prior time, you could just retire after the payback" -- true enough, despite me voicing that wasn't my intent.
"you have now gotten a degree on your own time, so we need to save that slot for someone who needs a degree" -- :/

If going and getting a post graduate STEM education is going to be a factor, then it should be offered to everyone that meets the criteria and not use age, prior enlisted time etc. as discriminators in NPS quotas. What I see happening is a self fulfilling philosophy that priors with 10 years or more of service are retiring prior to competing for command, so why bother ... the other side of that being that the system is filtering out a lot of those priors who decide to retire because they aren't getting the same opportunities as their peers.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue May 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Here are the stats...

1810 Board Statistics:
Board Target Opportunity: 50%
IWs in Zone: 22
IWs Selected: 11 (9 IZ/2 AZ)
IW IZ Opportunity: 41%

High level analysis:
5/11 had or are in Commander Command (4 or remaining 7 had or were in XO/OIC tour)
10/11 had or are in Command Milestone (1 remaining was a CO)
6/11 are JQO
11/11 completed JPME phase I
10/11 completed or are in JPME phase II
10/11 had or are in a JDAL tour (1 remaining under orders to a JDAL billet)
11/11 completed Master's program (6/11 STEM)
2/11 hold acquisition qualifications
3/11 hold cyber qualifications

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Stalwart,

So what do you think of the IW community taking the same approach as the METOC community requiring a STEM Masters as a prereq for O4 selection?

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Tue May 05, 2015 7:32 pm

CNO Guy wrote:Stalwart,

So what do you think of the IW community taking the same approach as the METOC community requiring a STEM Masters as a prereq for O4 selection?

I think if that is taken into account via accession (only accept candidates with STEM degrees) and opportunity (allow everyone without a STEM degree the chance to get one ... at least everyone who is 'competitive') at the JO level ... so be it.

Where I have a problem is arbitrary opportunities that some get & others don't. When trying to analyze why there is a disparity based on published criteria I can't ... so I am left to speculate.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Tue May 05, 2015 7:39 pm

COMEVIL wrote:Here are the stats...

1810 Board Statistics:
Board Target Opportunity: 50%
IWs in Zone: 22
IWs Selected: 11 (9 IZ/2 AZ)
IW IZ Opportunity: 41%

High level analysis:
5/11 had or are in Commander Command (4 or remaining 7 had or were in XO/OIC tour)
10/11 had or are in Command Milestone (1 remaining was a CO)
6/11 are JQO
11/11 completed JPME phase I
10/11 completed or are in JPME phase II
10/11 had or are in a JDAL tour (1 remaining under orders to a JDAL billet)
11/11 completed Master's program (6/11 STEM)
2/11 hold acquisition qualifications
3/11 hold cyber qualifications

Am trying to make sure I read that correctly, so the 1 CDR who didn't have a CDR Milestone was a CDR CO?

BT BT

Thanks for the stats ... very good data.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Information Dominance Corps