Training/Course Information

Re: Training/Course Information

Postby VQ Bubba » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:26 pm

My understanding is that it is up to the gaining command whether or not they accept the IWBC PQS completion...it's not a hard-and-fast "thou shalt honor the PQS" like what I saw in aviation.

That is what I saw at NIOC Hawaii (now dated by a few years) and what I believe to the be the case at NIOC MD...though its possible I may be mis-interpreting what is actually taking place.

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:58 pm

VQ Bubba wrote:Ok...here is what I think our training continuum looks like, once this course comes on-line. I don't have the latest in front of me and I'm likely missing a great deal, so would appreciate any and all corrections:

USNA / OCS / ROTC time
IWBC: 8 (?) weeks long (no PQS impact; basic introduction to Information Warfare topics)
IDBC: 3 weeks long (no PQS impact; basic introduction to IDC and DIVO life)
First Tour:
0-18 Months qualification to IWO (100/200/300 PQS accomplished via local NIOC training dept)
TBD Months to qualify DSO (if required/applicable)
0-36 Months qualification time to IDWO (100/200/300 PQS accomplished via local NIOC training dept)
As required:
SERE / Aft Observer Training / Aviation Physiology Training
Afloat Collection Manager Course
Cryptologic Resource Coordinator course
Upon promotion to LCDR (ish)
Information Dominance Corps Mid-Career Course (no PQS impact; advanced introduction to IDC)
Upon promotion to CDR (ish)
Information Dominance Corps Senior Leadership Symposium (no PQS impact; senior-level socialization)
Upon selection for XO/CO
PXO/PCO training
Upon selection as DIWC
????

The goal...once we get this current version corrected...is to then work through we would want to see in place...IE where we want to spend our precious resources and training/instruction. We can talk about OPNAV or IDFOR making decisions in a vacuum...perhaps we can provide some pressurization.

I suspect the IDBC is probably not slotted at the right time...but it's hard to state that without a full understanding of what training we really have...and what course of instruction is included.

Notice, as well, that I've left out any Cyber-specific training...completely out of ignorance, to be honest.

I think you capture this pretty well.

I think in general we don't get much in the way of 1810 basic or advanced training. Not sure why that is the case but it seems like it has been since as long as I can remember. Given that we are such a technical community it stands to reason that we should attend more training than most. Compare us to another community (aviation, SWO) and I think you'd find we are lacking.

Can you post, side by side, the same for an NFO?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Best "training" was 2 years in Monterey.

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby egriff25 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:53 pm

VQ Bubba wrote:My understanding is that it is up to the gaining command whether or not they accept the IWBC PQS completion...it's not a hard-and-fast "thou shalt honor the PQS" like what I saw in aviation.

That is what I saw at NIOC Hawaii (now dated by a few years) and what I believe to the be the case at NIOC MD...though its possible I may be mis-interpreting what is actually taking place.

They accepted mine here a NIOC MD, I attended IWBC last July.

egriff25
Registered Member

Postby malich87 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Does anyone know what the current IWOQP consists of for those who are already OIDWS & sub qualified? Particularly at Ft. Gordon? Is there a high likely hood of flying overseas during the initial iwoqp, or does that usually follow completion? Thanks.

malich87
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Information Dominance Corps