"Navy nominates officer to take over for hamstrung 3-star"

"Navy nominates officer to take over for hamstrung 3-star"

Postby Schlag » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 am

RADM Train has just been nominated by Secretary Mabus to succeed VADM Branch as the OPNAV N2/N6. Per the article, it looks like her nomination won't clear the Senate until the new Senate is sworn in.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/mili ... /19537939/

What makes this interesting is the article alluded to the fact that SECNAV would withdraw her nomination if VADM Branch has his accesses restored prior to confirmation. Also interesting to finally see an IDC lead OPNAV N2/N6.

No word as to whether someone will succeed RDML Loveless at this time.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Re: "Navy nominates officer to take over for hamstrung 3-sta

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 pm

About time...and an 1830 to boot. Interesting.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Thankfully! I don't think it was good for Branch or for IDC to have things drag on as long as they have. I am dumbfounded it took them this long; there was clearly never an alternative to this outcome. This article indicated the complexity of the situation by referring to the Justice Department investigation (not a simple Navy or DoD investigatory matter, but an FBI/criminal type probe). Hard to see how reinstatement could have come in time to be of practical value to Branch, IDC, or the Navy. I respect Branch for his willingness to go big, make changes, and really TRY to improve things as he saw them. He really put effort into making changes.

Respectability may be the biggest contribution Train can make. She seems a little less dynamic than Branch, and going from Commander, ONI (a CAPT command just a few years ago, no?) to N2/N6, DNI, IDC leader is a gigantic leap, maybe the biggest leap an IDC 2 star could make when going to 3 stars. However, she has an intel background, plenty of beltway experience, and, hey, she has a clearance. There shouldn't be any surprises, controversy, or disruptions during her tenure. I am VERY curious to see the future direction of the IDC.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:29 pm

yoshi wrote:...going from Commander, ONI (a CAPT command just a few years ago, no?) to N2/N6, DNI, IDC leader is a gigantic leap,

She is actually dual hatted. She is also the head of the National Maritime Intelligence Integration Office - which has always been a Flag Officer. Also, it was acknowledged that ONI lead by an O6 was not always the perfect solution - there were issues. But to give her credit, she was J2 Joint Staff and has considerable manpower experience, something none of the recent N2N6s have had.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:52 am

Interesting that no nomination has been made, according to the Senate website <<http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/one_item_and_teasers/nom_cmten.htm>>.

Also, nothing listed on the Defense.gov page.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if this announcement was a way to appease those asking the tough questions about VADM Branch, with no real intent to follow through... :rolleyes:

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:12 pm

I think the original article indicated the appointment was likely to be confirmed by the incoming Congress. If true, I wouldn't expect it to hit committee until January. At this point, I think the train has left the station. Unfortunately and unfairly, the year long wait with no clearance (with no apparent impact) and this announcement generate skepticism of IDC utility in the minds of some. I think the announcement may have been a response, but I do expect follow through to occur.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Still no nomination for RADM Train? Interesting....

In the Committee on Armed Services

Jan 07, 15 PN25 Army
The following named officer for appointment to the grade indicated in
the United States Army under title 10, U.S.C., section 624:
Bryan K. Anderson, to be Major

Jan 07, 15 PN24 Air Force
The following named officers for appointment in the United States Air
Force to the grade indicated under title 10, U.S.C., section 624:
Colonel Tony D. Bauernfeind, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Vincent K. Becklund, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Steven J. Bleymaier, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Richard A. Coe, to be Brigadier General
Colonel William T. Cooley, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Barry R. Cornish, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Christopher E. Craige, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Andrew A. Croft, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Allan E. Day, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Trent H. Edwards, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Andrew J. Gebara, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Gerald V. Goodfellow, to be Brigadier General
Colonel John R. Gordy II, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Stacey T. Hawkins, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Cameron G. Holt, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Kevin A. Huyck, to be Brigadier General
Colonel James A. Jacobson, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Darren V. James, to be Brigadier General
Colonel David J. Julazadeh, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Kevin B. Kennedy, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Chad T. Manske, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Michael A. Minihan, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Wayne R. Monteith, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Daniel J. Orcutt, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Lenny J. Richoux, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Carl E. Schaefer, to be Brigadier General
Colonel John E. Shaw, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Brad M. Sullivan, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Billy D. Thompson, to be Brigadier General
Colonel Paul A. Welch, to be Brigadier General
Colonel William P. West, to be Brigadier General

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Ran across a DV slide in a brief and Branch is listed as the DCNO for ID and the Director of Naval Intel. So, no follow through so far.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:31 pm

yoshi wrote:Ran across a DV slide in a brief and Branch is listed as the DCNO for ID and the Director of Naval Intel. So, no follow through so far.

Sadly, I truly believe the announcement was made to keep pressure off an organization that has allowed a Flag Officer without a clearance to continue to serve in a position which requires access to classified more than most others. I suspect they are hedging their bets in hopes that the investigation is concluded soon and VADM Branch is not charged with a crime. Still, would they give anyone other than a Flag Officer the benefit of the doubt? I highly doubt it. And they wonder why there is a lack of trust in our senior leadership.....

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Your analysis could correct, but it may just be a time factor. It would be pretty disappointing if things continued to drag on for another year. In any case, it calls into question the criticality of the position, I think. Is it a 'nice to have' or 'can't get by without it' 3 star position? I do think we will see something within the next couple of months. I find it hard to believe they would make an announcement on the matter and then just let it hang for more than a few months.

No, I don't think anyone other than a Flag Officer would receive the benefit of the doubt. It does have the potential to affect the level of trust in senior leadership, and for good reason. However fair or unfair things may be to VADM Branch, I'm not sure how senior leadership maintains continued confidence in his ability to lead (?). The stigma and perception of the role as unnecessary would require several more years to repair, certainly more years than he likely would remain in the position.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Information Dominance Corps