2014 IDC Command Screening Board Results

2014 IDC Command Screening Board Results

Postby 12345qwert » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:52 am

CONGRATS to those selected in this year's IDC Command/Milestone Screening Board! RESULTS are listed here (CAC enabled): https://mpte.portal.navy.mil/sites/NPC/ ... 2SEP14.pdf

The 1810s are:

IW (1810) O6 Command
SCHEIDT JEFFREY S 1810
JOHNSON JOEY JON 1810
LINTZ WILLIAM A 1810
SCHELB DOUGLAS R1810

IW (1810) O5 Command
ALEXANDER MARK R 1810
DAMSKY ROBERT SIMON 1810
JACOBSON BLAKE G 1810
LASHMET PAUL D 1810
NEWSOME ANDREW T 1810

IW (1810) O5 Milestone
BEJAR ADRIAN Z 1810
BERRIOS JOSE E 1810
BROWN SCOTT T 1810
COWAN FRANK R 1810
DUNN ROBERT T 1810
FINK KALLIE D 1810
ISHIKAWA JOHN M 1810
KEMPISTA LAWRENCE W 1810
KRIPPENDORF TIMOTHY 1810
LAMBETH IRA D 1810
LASSEK KENNETH WELLINGTON 1810
MCDEVITT DAVID L 1810
MELICHAR BRAD D 1810
MILNER SCOTT D 1810
NOBLES CALVIN 1810
ONEILL BERNARD T 1810
PINDER SHARON D 1810
SALAZAR EDUARDO E 1810
SALEHI MICHAEL S 1810
SANDERS JOSHUA J 1810
SMITH CHAD M 1810
SMITH IRVIN DUVAL 1810
WOODRUFF ROBERT A 1810
YUSKO DEBORAH BECK 1810

No feedback on the detailer's site on this year's board (yet), but here's the feedback from last year's board: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/o ... edback.pdf

12345qwert
Registered Member

Re: 2014 IDC Command Screening Board Results

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:41 am

I would highly recommend paying close attention to the feedback from last year's board -- soft break outs, milestone completion, timely command qualification completion, and Command and Flag recommendations in your FITREP. Also, recommend reviewing your own record against the convening order, which is currently available on the BUPERS IDC website.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Definitely go back and look at the feedback from previous years and read the board convening orders -- they will say in plain language what the board is told to look for.

I hate to beat a drum, but did see the following in this year's convening order (for IW O5 Command candidates) "Cross detail IDC experience and Post-graduate Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) degrees are valued."

While it is said that graduate STEM degrees are "valued" and not "required", how well does my MA in History and my MA in Legislative Affairs (that I got on my own time & dime) compete against someone with a MS in Electrical Engineering from NPS? If all things are otherwise equal -- based on that verbiage, is the STEM degree ( the "valued" degree) weighed higher?

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Stalwart wrote:While it is said that graduate STEM degrees are "valued" and not "required", how well does my MA in History and my MA in Legislative Affairs (that I got on my own time & dime) compete against someone with a MS in Electrical Engineering from NPS? If all things are otherwise equal -- based on that verbiage, is the STEM degree ( the "valued" degree) weighed higher?

Would love to know the answer to this, too. I finished a MBA mostly while enlisted and now have been considering post-grad work in International Relations. I tried to get NPS, but was told my APC didn't qualify me for any of our curricula. I'm about to take undergraduate calc and physics on my own, which may be a waste of time at this point, but that's the place I've reached.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:19 pm

Foremost: Accruing knowledge is never a waste ... Period... Degrees, APCs and AQDs aside.

I think in spite of not getting a technical degree an officer can be very competitive based on the criteria I read, am just bothered that our system -- at least in the recent past and at least in my situation seemed to be a bit shadowy. Some of my angst on this is that I tried three times (after my first, second and third tours) to go to NPS, had a high enough AQD to get into a technical program, a PRD that worked to go ... but got various answers on why I was not a candidate. If we are going to have a de facto or unwritten rule; we should just be open and upfront and publish those rules. If I am going to make a decision as an O2 that may close a door to me as an O4 or O5, I want it to be a conscious decision and not an accidental one.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:58 am

I agree acquiring knowledge is never a waste. It's just prioritizing what knowledge to focus on at any given time, given future goals and current desires and considering the cost, that ends up being important. I'd rather be learning the language of the country I'm currently stationed in (free with TA), but instead I'm taking college trig and the calc series (out of pocket because I don't qualify for TA for these courses) in order to qualify to spend more off time doing a graduate-level technical certification through NPS. I'm willing to put the time in, so it's not really that big of a deal, but if I had a family or other things to occupy my time it would be more challenging.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Information Dominance Corps