The Talent Within

The Talent Within

Postby Arkad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 am

ADM Rogers asks that each individual who briefs for the first time share as much about himself/herself as they are comfortable. In doing so, we learn so much about the talent on our team. I ask that you consider sharing of yourself, emulating his example within your workcenter, and making the larger team more aware of the talent that surrounds us. As a kickstarter (pun intended), I share http://www.penancehall.com/meet-our-socks/with you. I will share that one of the individuals in this video is an 1830 and has submitted his resignation letter. This represents the talent that is leaving. Let's identify the talent before it decides to leave so that it doesn't. What talent surrounds you?

Arkad
Experienced Member

Re: The Talent Within

Postby O-4's hate me » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 am

Sir,
First, thank you for re-affirming my decision to wear cowboy boots at every opportunity. I had no idea there was drama surrounding one's choice of dress socks.

More to your point, given the military's pyramid structure, shouldn't we anticipate some level of talent leaving at every interval? And how much effort should be spent trying to retain someone who's intent on leaving? Too often the departing individual's inflated sense of self-worth makes the endeavor more effort that they are worth. And finally, the valuable lesson I learned as a plebe summer detailer: "You can't save them all."

I recommend we maximize the return on investment for our efforts by clarifying the talent worth the effort of keeping.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Concur with much of what you said. Can't and don't want to retain everyone. And as I often tell people who are considering leaving, life is too short to spend it not doing what you want. That said, I see it as our responsibility to give everyone reason to want to stay. Those who want to pursue their passion outside the Navy are welcome to leave (and we should advocate on their behalf as they transition) and those who want to stay, yet contribute little, should be helped to leave.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Keeping talent is always a challange. How do you continue to keep a self starter in as a JO when the system is not totally geared that way - JO career paths are not always set up to recognize those stars, but is a 90% solution for the majority. That is where I think the role of a more senior mentor is crucial. I cannot over emphasis the role an engaged mentor can me. I have found that just asking the question "what is your plan" can be enough to make someone recognize that a bad day/ brief/boss does not mean the only option is getting out. A mentor should help them see there are options that are better suited to their desires.

I agree, we do not want to keep everyone, but we owe them help on their transition (most of the time).

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:50 pm

I tend to ask new people to our watch floor things like "where are you from?" "what do you like doing when you aren't here?" etc.

You can know about the people who share your air without getting overly familiar and remaining professional. Taking a genuine interest in those who work with you (junior & senior) can result in countless dividends ... personally and professionally.

Wolfpack wrote:I agree, we do not want to keep everyone, but we owe them help on their transition (most of the time).

We don't, and to an extent I would say that unless someone is transitioning to the brig, we do owe them a smooth transition, good advice and support as they leave the service. I am saddened to say that I have seen some really good people get the cold shoulder when they make their intent to separate known.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby TarHeel98 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Just a question, rhetorical so no need to post answers, but please do ponder your answer as well as how you think others would do so-are those with decision making authority (people retain or don't retain, not organizations) retaining those who are the best or is the system more inclined to promotion by attrition? Does the system then lend itself to an unhealthy winnowing the higher up one goes in rank? If so, what are the remedies?

TarHeel98

Return to Information Dominance Corps