How do you define Information Dominance?

How do you define Information Dominance?

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:47 pm

How do you define Information Dominance? Do we have a universal definition? Are we all sending the same message?

http://blog.usni.org/2014/02/13/still-struggling-to-define-information-dominance

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Re: How do you define Information Dominance?

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:38 am

I read the blog, and the writer brings up a lot of great points. I thought it was supreme timing that an individual posted a link on the NIOC Hawaii JOPA facebook page, with a reference to the commonly directed question on IDWO boards "defend the pin." It's an article posted in December 2012 from the CNO, and frankly, I thought it was a pretty good article for articulating the types of things we should be able to do. My frustration is "defend the pin" is a ridiculous thing to ask, and I think it stems from that lack of identity on how we actually "dominate information" (or perhaps how we SHOULD do it).

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedin ... ent-domain

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am

Sum1 wrote:...with a reference to the commonly directed question on IDWO boards "defend the pin."

Is this really a common question on these boards?

Seem pretty ridiculous.....and a supreme waste of time.

The Navy, and its multiple communities, has all sorts of pins, none of which are really necessary IMO. Why should we be any different?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:48 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Sum1 wrote:...with a reference to the commonly directed question on IDWO boards "defend the pin."

Is this really a common question on these boards?

Seem pretty ridiculous.....and a supreme waste of time.

The Navy, and its multiple communities, has all sorts of pins, none of which are really necessary IMO. Why should we be any different?

While PCS afloat I've actually DONE that when a SWO decided to get snarky with me, and its really a very simple argument: "your community only has a pin because it's ego was hurt that subs and aviators had one." Done.

I never had it asked to me in a board (IDWO grandfathered), but folks I still speak with at the NIOC say that's often the question that trips people up the most. And it's no wonder, considering the difficulty even the leadership has defining and qualifying everything. I'm no better... I haven't had time to really ponder the finer nuances of the IW community in a really long time, as my days are spent trying to keep 18 enlisted Sailors and officers out of trouble and smoothly progressing through the FRTP cycle.

edit: To be fair, perhaps leadership DOES have things defined and qualified... but they just aren't doing the best job communicating it down. We have a fundamental communication challenge when it comes to getting info to people who are often 1 of 1 supporting different entities throughout the fleet. NIOCs are easy. The single IWO floating around on a CRUDES, sitting around at ONI, or working alone with foreign partners are much more challenging to get information to.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 am

Sum1 wrote:I read the blog, and the writer brings up a lot of great points. I thought it was supreme timing that an individual posted a link on the NIOC Hawaii JOPA facebook page, with a reference to the commonly directed question on IDWO boards "defend the pin." It's an article posted in December 2012 from the CNO, and frankly, I thought it was a pretty good article for articulating the types of things we should be able to do. My frustration is "defend the pin" is a ridiculous thing to ask, and I think it stems from that lack of identity on how we actually "dominate information" (or perhaps how we SHOULD do it).

Two points:
1. Is the article about Info Dominance or is it about the IDC. While it may look as if I am trying to avoid the discussion, I would argue that achieving information dominance if hard to define. What the IDC is, however, I think is less of an issue to define. I would argue not to let yourself be drawn into the discussion. But, what is the Navy's definition of Information Dominance? - the operational advantage gained from fully integrating the Navy's information functions, capabilities and recourse to optimize decision making and maximizing war fighting effects. From our own strategy.
The IDC was created in order to bring together those non-platform defined communities who work, live, brief information, from taking raw data and making it useful to the war fighter, whoever he/she may be. These are my words, but derived from IDC strategies.

2. Defend the pin. Possibly the stupidest question ever. If an officer is at an idwo board and is unable articulate why the IDC exist, the value of bringing the communities together, and how working together the communities provide the Navy more war fighting capability, than every senior IDC officer, me included, should be fired. Than I would ask that officer if they read the strategy and what parts they do not understand. We want the pin to mean something, that the community needs to stop its whining and make it mean something. It need to show, daily, what the individual communities bring to the fight, and what the combined capabilities bring. If we cannot do that, than we deserve, no, we should demand the IDC be disbanded, and go our own ways. But, should that happen, I submit the former IDC communities will be but bill-payers to URL communities.

Before I get off my soap box, I hope the officer who wrote the article did so in an effort to get the flags to communicate. I spent three years at OPNAV working IDC efforts. Once I left, I have heard nada from the headshed. I guess this is me saying, stop looking elsewhere for answers, figure it out, read the literature, and move out.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 am

Wolfpack wrote:I guess this is me saying, stop looking elsewhere for answers, figure it out, read the literature, and move out.

Just for my clarification, are you saying that we should just read the stuff put out by leadership (assuming we receive it... big NIOCs, easy... isolated commands where you're a 1 of 1 IWO, not so much) and move forward to handle business? I'm skeptical there's enough literature out there to give an IWO looking for some direction the guidance he or she needs. I do, however, like the opportunity to help define our community's direction. I think anyone can affect that, assuming they are bold enough to express their opinions.

(this could be off topic)

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:39 am

Sum1 wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I guess this is me saying, stop looking elsewhere for answers, figure it out, read the literature, and move out.

Just for my clarification, are you saying that we should just read the stuff put out by leadership (assuming we receive it... big NIOCs, easy... isolated commands where you're a 1 of 1 IWO, not so much) and move forward to handle business? I'm skeptical there's enough literature out there to give an IWO looking for some direction the guidance he or she needs. I do, however, like the opportunity to help define our community's direction. I think anyone can affect that, assuming they are bold enough to express their opinions.

(this could be off topic)

No, but it would be nice if there was more put out. For example, why should I have to read about the IDC TYCOM on LINKEDIN, facebook, or the IDC Synch page?

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 pm

@Wolfpack:
Your point is well taken. For what it's worth and just so you don't have to keep reading linkedin, I offer the following. I don't think there are many cryppies positioned to 'know' the IDTYCOM, consequently there is little info for us to have. NCF, and eventual IDFOR, leadership (Flag Deck and A/COSs) is all non-cryppie. Nothing unfair or intentional with this set up, its a product of the way we reinvested from NNWC/NCF to C10F/FCC. We have senior cryppies at NCF, but not in positions lending full knowledge of the new IDFOR TYCOM. There isn't much to know right now, anyway, as the IET just started and they're still determining what execution will look like. PM if you want to know more about IDFOR TYCOM.

Also, I'd keep in mind the ID TYCOM isn't a cryppie or intel organization. Rather, its a Fleet (USFFC/(CPF) organization). What it "does" it will do from a fleet/organizational perspective, not a community or corps perspective. Thus, its set up and effectiveness in CRY/INTEL/IP/METOC issues across the fleet will likely be a product of who the Commander/leadership is (background), how well they know the traditional Fleet processes, and how well they know the Fleet staff construct (MHQ/MOC), how things work, and where to plug in. I don't see our community reinvesting or realigning in IDFOR - again - to acquire parity with the other ID communities in Fleet MTE, especially as our community grows away from the waterfront (cyber). That type of reinvestment/realignment/placement in the IDFOR TYCOM is more important for METOC and IP communities, as their efforts/futures are more Fleet-related/dependent than ours.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Yoshi,

This contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation, but I have no idea what the hell you just said.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Information Dominance Corps