SUBJ: INFORMATION DOMINANCE CORPS FITNESS REPORT OFFICER SUMMARY GROUPS

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Schlag wrote:- but that could also turn into being an awesome bridge watchstander (which is what my first SIWO onboard DDG did).

Nothing wrong with being an awesome bridge watchstander during your surface tour, as long as it isn't at the expense of your division, or the ship's cryptologic mission.

As far as AQD's go, most of the criteria is pretty cut and dry: complete a CRC tour, get a SWO pin, qualify BWC, etc.

BL: If you think you earned one, send the detailer the supporting paperwork and he'll get it into your record. 90% of my AQD's were added to my record after I started the process.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:04 am

I saw some guys with EW AQDs on their record. Do you have an idea of how they got those? I suspect they may have been prior CTTs, unless a gig as a sub DSO and/or being the EWO on a surface PCS gig is enough (both jobs emphasize EW over a lot of other priorities).

One thing to remember about your PCS afloat tour... you're the only division officer on board that ship who owns THREE warfare areas (EW, CRY, and INT). Couple that with your SSO and Security Manager duties, as well as your qualifications for SWO/watchstanding and you're a busy guy/gal. Cryptology mission is important, but you have a TON of priorities to juggle on any given day, and the fact of life on board a small boy is the cryptology mission is often a secondary or tertiary thing.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 am

Sum1 wrote:I saw some guys with EW AQDs on their record. Do you have an idea of how they got those?

Do you know which ones they were specifically?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am

Sum1 wrote:Cryptology mission is important, but you have a TON of priorities to juggle on any given day, and the fact of life on board a small boy is the cryptology mission is often a secondary or tertiary thing.

Have to wonder if the community has it's priorities right. Maybe it is time to drop the SWO pin in order to maintain focus on the warfare area. After all, there is an IDWO pin to get first.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 am

PCS afloat is a second or third tour gig for most who do it (except for maybe LDOs and CWOs), so they will all already have the IDWO pin at that point. Although, even our enlisted CTs do their ESWS before we allow them to work on the EIDWS.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Have to wonder if the community has it's priorities right. Maybe it is time to drop the SWO pin in order to maintain focus on the warfare area. After all, there is an IDWO pin to get first.

This would require the community to restrict us from qualifying, sort of like they do with Intel Officers. Not really sure what we would gain with that. And restricting qualification wouldn't necessarily lead to better cryptology at sea.

Every ship is different, as is every ship's CO. Their expectations and needs may require an IW Officer to be one of the ship's OOD's. Qualifying OOD and SWO is also professionally rewarding. I learned a ton about surface warfare, and ultimately leadership and responsibility, earning mine.

In the end their are better ways to ensure the cryptologic mission is accomplished. Taking away an opportunity to qualify SWO isn't one of them.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

There are other opportunities we've lost within the community as we move to refocus our community away from IO and back towards EW, SIGINT, and Cyber... for example, the loss of Regional Studies at NPS, officer billets at MHS and other places, etc. I value the experience I'm gaining with leadership and time management, but could easily argue that a tour doing sub or surface DIRSUP gives an IWO the perspective necessary to be a better cryptologist for the fleet. A SWO pin isn't necessary for it. At SIWC we're taught that if you're in SSES your Chief and/or division is failing, and that you should stay out of there unless absolutely necessary. Right now we are, indeed, on board to be a baby SWO, which means we're out of the real IWO game for two or three years. I know 3M better than I ever thought I would, but I just found out a couple weeks ago that a particular target apparently has an entire new class of naval vessel. If I was somewhere else or focused on IWO stuff I probably would have known about that much, much sooner. I'd love to find out more about it, but I'm too busy.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Pwlk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:35 am

Here's another few questions.

As we make ourselves more 'IDC' instead of 'Restricted' at what career milestones are we truly co-located, learning from, (and now) competing with the other communities in the IDC?

Also, is there ever a formal 'IDC' course that all members at similar career marks of the IDC attend together?

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 am

Pwlk wrote:
Also, is there ever a formal 'IDC' course that all members at similar career marks of the IDC attend together?

There is the mid career course, which is for LCDRs. There is also the IDSLS, which is O6s, some O5s. An Officer and Enlisted Accessions course is in development.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Pwlk wrote:As we make ourselves more 'IDC' instead of 'Restricted' at what career milestones are we truly co-located, learning from, (and now) competing with the other communities in the IDC?

Any tour that isn't a NIOC. PCS afloat, Afloat Staff, Numbered Fleet Staff, NCF, 10F/FCC, etc. These all have opportunities to be ranked against other members of the IDC.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Information Dominance Corps