direct engagement with one of the IDC's finest.

Postby Schlag » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Unsure that Twitter is the best forum to exchange ideas. What happened to Point Papers and other tools used by a Naval Officer?

Albeit, I'm nothing more than a lowly O-3 and sometimes lament that my opinion is rarely asked for and never cared about. But that's more out of venting than anything else. When I really need to get something done, I've always found that Point Papers and other well written Memos are the best way to create action.

That's not to take away from tools such as this forum. But I definitely think there's a place for everything and see this as a forum akin to Sailor Bob.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Senior leader in the IDC using twitter - pretty cool. Anything of real value being added to the conversation - so far, not so much. It is not the medium, it is not it is used that makes it worthwhile.

Maybe this is a good way to let folks know about significant changes that will impact us all - the requirement for Command Qualification, for example, or the discussion on changing officer summary groups, or changes to the IT or CT rate as it relates to cyber....

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Pwlk » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm

COMEVIL wrote:Because honestly, Twitter strikes me as a bit gimmicky. 140 characters via a social media outlet I don't even currently follow. It isn't about the medium, it is about the message.

Twitter populates RSS feeds which allow anyone to follow regardless of owning a Twitter account.

COMEVIL wrote:Our IW leadership has had access to the community for years via email, website, record message traffic, and now social media. Yet rarely do we hear from them with regards to (1) where we are and (2) where we are going as an IW/CT community.

Agree, this forum is already established, would be great to see a larger presence here. We have some, but could do so much more! I don't think it is a conscious decision to not partake in conversations here, though.

What makes AirWarriors so successful? More social as well as professional?

COMEVIL wrote:No, it doesn't need to be a blog, or even on an unclassified network. Send a record message or mass email quarterly; or hold a town meeting or a fireside chat. Like I said, the medium doesn't matter. The message matters.

Schlag wrote:Unsure that Twitter is the best forum to exchange ideas. What happened to Point Papers and other tools used by a Naval Officer?

Wolfpack wrote:Senior leader in the IDC using twitter - pretty cool. Anything of real value being added to the conversation - so far, not so much. It is not the medium, it is not it is used that makes it worthwhile.

Twitter can be utilized in three main ways in my eyes
  • Push links
  • Conversation
  • BLUF

One of those requires more than just the individual with the Twitter account, though. A 140 character reply isn't too much to ask. (drinking my own advice is my own challenge, though)

Obviously I'm a supporter of conversations being held over Twitter. No it is not the fix-all solution to communication, but at least it is a step forward. Why is Twitter so popular? It requires you to be short (unlike this post), to the point and makes your message available to everyone. Can't go wrong with that.

Good conversation :-)

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 pm

VQ Bubba wrote:I've been out of the loop a bit while enjoying my government-funded education and computing on a .edu account...for guys like me and for newbies...what are the current official, quasi-official, and grass roots outlets/ports for community communication?

From my memory, I think the following are in operation:

1. Informationwarriors.net (natch)
2. Facebook IDC Self-synchronization
3. Facebook Information Warfare Officer Community Past, Present, and Future
4. Cryptocore
5. Sean Heritage's Blog
6. I like the Cut of his Jib (aka Mike Lambert's blog)
7. RADM Leigher's Twitter feed
8. C10F's site...CAC-enabled

I'm not sure of the currency of some of these...and I'm sure there are others that I've not included.

I think it would be worthwhile to create a sticky with these resources...thoughts?

This is a good list. What do you mean by creating a sticky?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Pwlk wrote:Obviously I'm a supporter of conversations being held over Twitter. No it is not the fix-all solution to communication, but at least it is a step forward. Why is Twitter so popular? It requires you to be short (unlike this post), to the point and makes your message available to everyone. Can't go wrong with that.

Good conversation :-)

Like I said previously, I am not so concerned about the medium, but rather the message.

With all these venues why don't the IW Flag Officers reach out to the community? Why do we hear about things like command qualifications and IDC peer rankings by word of mouth? Why can't we here where we are and where we are going as a community from the leadership directly?

Sending an email to a select few senior officers is not enough. The IW/CT community needs engagement with their leadership.

This is an easy problem to address.

We are anxiously waiting, and ready to assist.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby HH-60H » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm

COMEVIL wrote:This is a good list. What do you mean by creating a sticky?

It means "sticking it" to the top of the forum, which I just did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HH-60H
Administrator

Previous

Return to Information Dominance Corps