direct engagement with one of the IDC's finest.

direct engagement with one of the IDC's finest.

Postby Tommy Boy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 am

Those of us interested in leading WITH RADM Leigher ought to follow this feed. Direct engagement with one of the IDC's finest Thought Leaders is only a few keystrokes away...
https://twitter.com/billleigher

Tommy Boy
Experienced Member

Postby Pwlk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Hope to see feeds like this focus more towards candid conversation and less towards disseminating links. Might be time I dust off my Twitter account.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm not sure that 140 unclassified characters comprise the best channel for broadcasting Deep Thoughts about Information Dominance (hey, that sounds like a great name for a band!). While useful for staying up-to-date on the lifestyles and political opinions of your favorite reality TV stars, Twitter hasn't contributed much in the realm of Socratic debate.

But it is always entertaining to see senior leaders and political figures abbreviating Tweets like an 11-year-old Justin Bieber fan. :D

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby bubblehead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Tommy Boy wrote:Thought Leaders

:confused:

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby OmegaMan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:00 pm

"Thought leader" might not be the best choice of words. Upon reading that, the following quote from 1984 immediately came to mind:

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face -- forever"

OmegaMan

Postby Pwlk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Sleeper wrote:I'm not sure that 140 unclassified characters comprise the best channel for broadcasting Deep Thoughts about Information Dominance

Agreed, but not all communication needs to be paragraphs after paragraphs of deep thoughts. A lot can be said in very few words.

Sleeper wrote:But it is always entertaining to see senior leaders and political figures abbreviating Tweets like an 11-year-old Justin Bieber fan. :D

Could not agree more! But just as when any military member writes candidly about their military life and humanizes the military, a senior military leader can speak candidly (to include shorthand to fit 140 characters) and humanize senior leadership.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:00 am

He should be following all of our Twitter feeds. Rarely do new, innovative ideas come from Flag Officers.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby das » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm

What Is A Thought Leader?

Honestly, a little surprised at the reaction. This is a good thing, guys, and RADM Leigher is an innovator. The conversation is a two-way street, and he's following me and others who follow him on Twitter...

Visit Information Warfare Community Self Synchronization on Facebook, Twitter, and at IWCsync.org!
das
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 pm

das wrote:What Is A Thought Leader?

Honestly, a little surprised at the reaction. This is a good thing, guys, and RADM Leigher is an innovator. The conversation is a two-way street, and he's following me and others who follow him on Twitter...

Because honestly, Twitter strikes me as a bit gimmicky. 140 characters via a social media outlet I don't even currently follow. It isn't about the medium, it is about the message. Our IW leadership has had access to the community for years via email, website, record message traffic, and now social media. Yet rarely do we hear from them with regards to (1) where we are and (2) where we are going as an IW/CT community.

When Admiral Harvey was FFC he had an UNCLAS blog where he would provide insightful information as to the status of the fleet. He was also present on Sailorbob and would comment, as himself, on occasion. Admiral Stavridis has a blog on the EUCOM site, as does the new CNO. While there has been talk of IW Flag Officers doing the same, I have been hearing that for years to no avail.

By way of analogy, as an afloat CRC I held a fireside chat twice a week with all ships assigned to my tasking authority. I used this time to remind them of my expectations, praise them for what they are doing right, and give them guidance to correct any issues. This was also an opportunity for them to ask questions of me and provide feedback and suggestions. While this was engagement on a small scale, it is a fitting example for the community at large.

No, it doesn't need to be a blog, or even on an unclassified network. Send a record message or mass email quarterly; or hold a town meeting or a fireside chat. Like I said, the medium doesn't matter. The message matters.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby VQ Bubba » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I've been out of the loop a bit while enjoying my government-funded education and computing on a .edu account...for guys like me and for newbies...what are the current official, quasi-official, and grass roots outlets/ports for community communication?

From my memory, I think the following are in operation:

1. Informationwarriors.net (natch)
2. Facebook IDC Self-synchronization
3. Facebook Information Warfare Officer Community Past, Present, and Future
4. Cryptocore
5. Sean Heritage's Blog
6. I like the Cut of his Jib (aka Mike Lambert's blog)
7. RADM Leigher's Twitter feed
8. C10F's site...CAC-enabled

I'm not sure of the currency of some of these...and I'm sure there are others that I've not included.

I think it would be worthwhile to create a sticky with these resources...thoughts?

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Information Dominance Corps