Approval to merge all IDC communities

Postby Sum1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Arkad wrote:Many people (primarily seniors) are uncomfortable with the anonymity of this forum, not to mention that this one is open to anyone. The other is limited to Community Members. I see your points and both sites have merit. I am for whatever helps us realize a culture of honest, robust, and transparent dialogue that allows us to make meaningful progress. Unfortunately, most won't participate in either forum.

That's fair. Do you know more specifically what aspects of the anonymity concerns the senior leadership? The bulk of this site is open to anyone, but there are private forums that require(d) you to request access. I read a little today on the cryptocore site about the concern regarding putting the bulk of the site behind private access, so that the front end seems dead. Also, I looked around and couldn't find anything specifically regarding the rule of registering on the site with your full real name/ID.

Edit: For what it's worth I think it's a great idea, and I like the collaborative environment you and the other site founders are trying to foster. I, for one, continue to have lots of detailing/career management questions that I don't always want to bug the detailers with. I sometimes throw those questions up here because I know there's a good cross-section of experience floating around here and the community is helpful and professional. I suppose I could ask those same questions on the cybercore site, but I'm not sure I would until the community is more established, particularly because I don't think the Admiral wants to hear me talk about PEP duty or my desire to ride some Aussie subs.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:12 am

Sum1 wrote:That's fair. Do you know more specifically what aspects of the anonymity concerns the senior leadership? The bulk of this site is open to anyone, but there are private forums that require(d) you to request access. I read a little today on the cryptocore site about the concern regarding putting the bulk of the site behind private access, so that the front end seems dead. Also, I looked around and couldn't find anything specifically regarding the rule of registering on the site with your full real name/ID.

Edit: For what it's worth I think it's a great idea, and I like the collaborative environment you and the other site founders are trying to foster. I, for one, continue to have lots of detailing/career management questions that I don't always want to bug the detailers with. I sometimes throw those questions up here because I know there's a good cross-section of experience floating around here and the community is helpful and professional. I suppose I could ask those same questions on the cybercore site, but I'm not sure I would until the community is more established, particularly because I don't think the Admiral wants to hear me talk about PEP duty or my desire to ride some Aussie subs.

This site was built for JOs by JOs originally. My desire is to foster open and honest discussion. I can understand the security concerns. I share them. It's hard to vet everyone and most times it comes down to a judgment call on the part of the moderators. I echo Arkad that we have to have frank discussion be it here, our Wardrooms and Chief's Mess, or another web forum.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Sleeper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:50 am

In striking down a state statute prohibiting the distribution of campaign literature that does not indicate the name and address of those responsible for its issuance, the [Supreme] Court employed broad language touting the role of anonymous communications: anonymity "exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation -- and their ideas from suppression -- at the hand of an intolerant society."

http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol2/issue1/anon.html

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby Pwlk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 am

Sleeper wrote:In striking down a state statute prohibiting the distribution of campaign literature that does not indicate the name and address of those responsible for its issuance, the [Supreme] Court employed broad language touting the role of anonymous communications: anonymity "exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation -- and their ideas from suppression -- at the hand of an intolerant society."

http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol2/issue1/anon.html

No one will argue the legalities of anonymity, but what are the benefits of anonymity for this specific community in a web forum? Are we afraid to be disruptive thinkers?

I would imagine that we actually have rather few truly anonymous contributors to this forum as it stands.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Pwlk wrote:No one will argue the legalities of anonymity, but what are the benefits of anonymity for this specific community in a web forum? Are we afraid to be disruptive thinkers?

One of the key principles of brainstorming sessions is that there are no bad ideas. People should feel free to throw out half-baked, unpolished thoughts without being judged, because even a wildly off-base concept might have the kernel of a really good idea.

On this somewhat-anonymous* board, I enjoy the freedom to unleash my own half-baked and sometimes impassioned ideas for the group to pick apart and critique without scuttlebutt getting around to my CO that he's depriving a village of its idiot.

*The fact that community leadership considers this anonymous to the extent that they want to set up their own playing field is encouraging.

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Pwlk wrote:No one will argue the legalities of anonymity, but what are the benefits of anonymity for this specific community in a web forum? Are we afraid to be disruptive thinkers?

I would imagine that we actually have rather few truly anonymous contributors to this forum as it stands.

I think both sites have their benefits. Some people simply won't provide their input, unless they are protected by anonymity. Others feel comfortable sharing their thoughts with their name attached. A blend of both is beneficial to the community as a whole.

That said, I would encourage every IW Officer and CT on this site to join Cryptocore. Whether you plan to share your ideas or not, membership to the site is your ticket to collaborate.

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't spend much time on this site and I sure haven't made the time to figure out who anyone is. I'd say I know who four of you are because you have made it known to me. Those four all have since done something significant about the opportunities they identified. Those four care enough to put their name behind their good ideas, opinions, and areas for concern. Those four have created actual partnerships as a result of this forum.

I enjoy reading many of the threads and it helps me to understand the concerns of some people. What attribution does is allow us to identify who wants to do something about the issue. I maintain a list of people who I consider to be a part of "The Coalition of the Doing". These are the people who are tired of talking and demonstrate that they are willing to be a part of the solution. The four people to whom I alluded are on that short list. Anonymity has its place and I use it when needed. The problem is that I don't want to be a part of a team that operates anonymously. I want to be a part of a team that demonstrates collective ownership in all that we do. That values each member of the team and what he/she brings to the table so much that we all choose to be both attributional and non-judgmental.

For those of you who might not know, Arkad = Sean Heritage.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Arkad wrote:For those of you who might not know, Arkad = Sean Heritage.

In the spirit of attribution, COMEVIL = Chuck Hall.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

I feel like this is the part of the movie where the grimy exterior wall is crumbling, revealing the shiny, extravagant structure beneath.

I still kind of like my (semi-)anonymity here, but I'll use the real name on cybercore. I'm 1 of 1, so I have no worries upsetting the delicate balance!

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:30 am

O-4's hate me wrote:My LPO: "Hey sir, I was looking on this forum for information on the EIDWS pin, and this 'O-4's hate me' guy sounds like you."

So webmaster, is there an easy way to change my name, or should I just start censoring my posts when I'm bad-mouthing CTM1s?

Anonymity in any environment is not my strong suit.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner