Navy Announces Disestablishment of SEAL LDO Designator

Navy Announces Disestablishment of SEAL LDO Designator

Postby 1610MATROS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:13 pm

We'll see more of the communities doing this in the coming months.

Story Number: NNS120117-11 Release Date: 1/17/2012

From Navy Personnel Command Public Affairs

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) -- Navy has announced the phase-out of the SEAL Limited Duty Officer (LDO) designator, officials said Jan. 17.

According to NAVADMIN 017/12 the disestablishment will create efficiencies while increasing war fighting capability through integration of existing officers into the naval special warfare enterprise.

Under a phasing plan announced in the message, disestablishment will occur in two phases.

During the first phase, current SEAL LDOs may convert to the SEAL unrestricted line officer designator based on defined criteria. Some SEAL LDOs may continue to serve in the LDO capacity until retirement if that date fits within billet conversion timelines. Implementation will be managed by the SEAL officer community manager.

In the second phase, beginning in fiscal year 2013, Navy will begin converting SEAL LDO billets to SEAL chief warrant officer billets or SEAL unrestricted line officer billets. Billet conversion will occur through fiscal year 2017.

SEAL LDOs may contact the SEAL officer community manager and SEAL officer detailer for individual career counseling to ensure the best possible individual decision for career success while integrating their skill sets into the naval special warfare community.

For more information, read the message at the NPC website at or call the NPC Customer Service Center at 1-866-U-ASK-NPC (1-866-827-5672).

For more information, visit,, or

For more news from Navy Personnel Command, visit

Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm

1610MATROS wrote:We'll see more of the communities doing this in the coming months.

Are IW LDO's sticking around?

Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 am

I wonder how they would do it though - I've heard talk of converting LDO billets to CWO on the surface side, but I'm unsure of how much you would save by doing this. LDO pay isn't much different than CWO pay. Big difference is CWO's continue to get longevity pay through 30yrs whereas anything below O-4 is capped at 20yrs. On top of that, since you have to be a Chief to apply for CWO, it will mean people are more senior in applying for those billets (which means you pay more for them). I just see it as being nothing more than a numbers game that ends up costing us more in the long run.

If you combine designators, I see that becoming a nightmare. I know they've talked about merging STO's and EMO's on the surface side. That'd be pretty rough. But could you imagine just having an IDC LDO? I'd hate to be there when a 15yr prior AG is assigned PCS Afloat on a CG :eek:

I just don't know how much you could play around with it without having a catastrophic effect - much less the unintended 2nd and 3rd order effects.

Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:08 am

COMEVIL wrote:Are IW LDO's sticking around?

There are plans to off ramp LDOs into IW, but that is across the IDC. lDOs are not going anywhere, just moving them into the officer communities when they get senior.

Posted via Mobile Device

Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner