Years ACS ALNAV

Years ACS ALNAV

Postby yoshi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

ALNAV 057/11 reduces ACS requirement from 10 years to 8 years for retirement. I noted 1810 and 644X were not eligible for this. I am curious to see this as we presently have more LCDRs than LTs (per Aug 2011 IWOL), and the flow points are moving right quite significantly. I'm not really interested in the reasoning we aren't eligible, but am more interested to learn the perspective of the other communities and how this will affect their numbers. Anyone have a solid handle on this one? Thanks.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby unlikelyconvert » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 am

They did say that the non-eligible desigs would be considered on a case-by-case basis. Was excited when I saw the message...then I read para 4.

unlikelyconvert
Experienced Member

Postby greenie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:58 am

Heck, I would like to hear why 1810s are not eligible. Yoshi made a few points about the state of the designator. We have the promotion zones slashed, selection rates adjusted and we don't automatically qualify for the early release in this drawdown? This likely falls in the same "who knows" category as Intel Officers receiving commitment bonuses and the Cryptologists not. But it appears quite a few other designators didn't go for this open marketed approach to cutting end strength and allows for a bit of a "Let's wait and see how many bites we get" approach.

greenie
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 am

Similar to how we don't have any year groups eligible to lat transfer out of the community (iirc).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:02 am

We do let people lat transfer out of the community and IWOs are eligible for many special programs (i.e. recent selection for WH Fellowship). If you truly are interested in knowing the WHY behind recent community management actions, please contact the IW OCM (901-874-3123). He is happy to share insights. Or, we can speculate and complain without the benefit of an informed opinion. As the recently shared Foundational Principles articulated, "Community Management is a Team Sport." Our responsibility is to seek to understand, share what we know/observe, and provide insights from our unique vantage points. This thread is getting further away from embracing that principle.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 pm

My comment was strictly regarding lat transfers. IW officers serving or applying to serve in special programs are another conversation entirely.

R 092015Z FEB 11

FM CNO WASHINGTON DC

TO AL NAVADMIN
NAVADMIN

INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC

BT
UNCLAS
PASS TO ALL OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
NAVADMIN 050/11

MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/FEB//

SUBJ/JUNE 2011 ACTIVE DUTY OFFICER LATERAL TRANSFER-REDESIGNATION
BOARD//

6. THE FOLLOWING DATA PROVIDES POTENTIAL CANDIDATES AN INDICATION OF
EXISTING LATERAL TRANSFER-REDESIGNATION OPPORTUNITIES.
A. DESIGNATORS INDICATED ARE AUTHORIZING A LIMITED NUMBER OF ACTIVE
DUTY OFFICERS TO TRANSFER FROM THEIR CURRENT COMMUNITY.
EACH YG IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE PRIOR TO THE BOARD CONVENING:
COMMUNITY/DESIGNATOR AVAILABLE YG
(S) NOTES
SURFACE WARFARE (111X) 09 AND SENIOR A B
SUBMARINE (112X) 06 AND SENIOR B C
EOD (114X) 06-03
PILOT (131X) 04 AND SENIOR D
NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER (132X) 04 AND SENIOR D
AEROSPACE MAINTENANCE (152X) 07-03
JAG (250X) 06-00 E
SUPPLY (310X) 07-05, 01-99
LIMITED DUTY (6XXX) F
B. REQUESTS FOR TRANSFER FROM COMMUNITIES NOT LISTED IN PARA
6A (INCLUDING ALL LDO DESIGNATORS) ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED AND HANDLED
ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS.

I was referring to the paragraph above. I did, however, not recall paragraph 6.B, which referred to limited number/case-by-case lat transfers out for communities not listed. Thanks for encouraging me to look up the message and correct myself.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby greenie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:05 am

Arkad wrote:If you truly are interested in knowing the WHY behind recent community management actions, please contact the IW OCM (901-874-3123). He is happy to share insights. Or, we can speculate and complain without the benefit of an informed opinion. As the recently shared Foundational Principles articulated, "Community Management is a Team Sport." Our responsibility is to seek to understand, share what we know/observe, and provide insights from our unique vantage points. This thread is getting further away from embracing that principle.

In the spirit of the document mentioned and this site, I think that anyone that posts a comment or views items on this forum are informally;
-seeking to understand
-sharing knowledge and observances (percieved, notional, or reality), and
-(attempts to) provide insight from varied vantage points
..and the masses usually provide the guidance sought

In the past the IWOCM has been happy to share those insights and encouraged inquiries on this forum (...and I kind of thought thats why this area was established) but it seems when something gets inquired upon folks, more often than not, get directed to dialing a phone number for a one-on-one conversation. I guess that is one way to get responses out to the "Team".....but it gets a little further away from this broader means of sharing and informing. Since it usually is true that if one person asks the question there likely quite a few others wondering the same thing, especially if they are visiting and viewing forums like this.

Has this area of the forum now become a non-preffered method of informing the masses?

greenie
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 am

Here's the response that should be given to your comment above:

Following that one-on-one conversation, the newly informed officer should take it upon themselves to help push that information out to his or her peers. As part of the Team, he's taking the initiative to seek out the information he wants from the source (in this case, the IW CM), assimilate it, and then utilize his network to become a positive advocate/drive the info to where it needs to go. Everyone on the team has a stake, and because the IW CM happens to be the only one with a first-hand "insider" view of the subject doesn't mean we should sit back and wait for him to push the info to us.

I've been called cynical before, but I can't see any reason why the above couldn't or shouldn't work. I gave my 2 cents based upon a NAVADMIN I read (which normally is authoritative enough) rather than peeling back another layer of the "onion" that is community management and detailing. I will try to avoid making that mistake again.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Lats Out, Special Programs, etc.

Postby IW OCM » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 am

As Arkad said, I'm happy to talk to folks, so feel free to call. I do my best to make time for this site as well, but it doesn't always happen.

Some of the frustration here comes when folks state conclusions based on flawed analysis or misinformation. Instead, I recommend asking the "Why" first from those in the know, and then helping to spread the word. Propagation of bum gouge doesn't help.

There have been a couple nested issues here, so I'll try to hit a couple:

- Special programs, fellowships, etc: Folks are encouraged to apply for programs for which our community is eligible. Since timing is such an important factor, it is vital to consult your "Personal Board of Directors" to discuss the pros and cons associated with participation. Having personally seen a couple selection boards, I can attest to the importance of great (not good) FITREPs in key jobs....sustained superior performance is not a catch phrase...it is the standard by which you will be judged.

- Early retirement and lateral transfer OUT- Community managers typically only pull "levers" like early retirement and/or lateral transfer out in situations where overmanning exists. Beware mixing your manpower terms (i.e. selection rate, opportunity rate, promotion zones) when you don't truly understand the interdependence...it just confuses everyone. The IW Community is not at 100% manning at any paygrade (yet), thus it does not behoove to let folks out. The standard caveats of "case by case basis" and "there's a waiver for nearly everything" apply. Know that for lateral transfers, the process isn't designed to let individuals in or out....it is designed to open or close entire year groups based on the manning level.

If you would like for me to talk to your Wardroom about the many and varied Community Management goings on, I recommend you talk to your Chain about setting up an unclass VTC with me in the coming months/year...I enjoy training the Wardroom...it's one of the job's perks.

Hope that helps.

V/r,

IW OCM
901-874-3123

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner