Command Leadership Screening

Command Leadership Screening

Postby webmaster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 am

Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 15:24
Subject: Commander Operational Leadership Screening

IW Leaders:

I'm pleased to announce the establishment of the IWO Community's first "Commander (O5) Operational Leadership Screening Board" (formal term for Milestone) which will occur in conjunction with the annual IDC Commander and Captain Command Screening Board, September 2011. This screening is an evolutionary step in the formal screening processes I first instituted two years ago.

Once screened for Operational Leadership, each officer will be assigned an Additional Qualification Designator (AQD), and become eligible to serve in one of 24 Strike Group, Numbered Fleet, and Fleet Commander assignments. Successful screening will also make officers eligible for Commander Command screening, nomination for other Commander Leadership assignments (i.e., Executive Officer of O6 Command, NIOC/FIOC Department Head, and specific Joint Duty Assignments). Officers will be assigned an AQD upon completion of Operational Leadership tour.

The screening process will be built to a "three-look" model commencing in the year of selection to O-5, and ending as each Commander becomes eligible for Commander Command screening. I will also sign correspondence codifying the list of screened IW command, operational leadership (Milestone), and Joint billets, which will be maintained and managed by our Millington team. Commanders who are currently serving in, or have completed, the selected billets described above will be considered to have successfully screened for Operational Leadership, and will be assigned the appropriate AQDs.

This initial "Milestone Screen" will ensure that all CDRs and FY-12 CDR selectees have the opportunity to screen (all CDR's who have not yet screened for O6 promotion). Specifics of this board panel, and a list of eligibles is forthcoming, and will be posted to the NPC webpage by 29 July.

The planning process leading to this Course of Action was lengthy and well-studied by a team composed of our people at NPC and BUPERS (Detailers, OCM) and a representative panel of Captain COs. It enjoys the full support of our IW Flag Officers.

Additionally, based on the need to place experienced Captains in command, and to allow our distribution system to react to and fund an executable command slate, we have adjusted the year of first eligibility for CAPT CMD screening one year to the right. This will allow Captains to complete an initial 24-36 month tour in grade prior to assuming O6/Major Command. The junior Pay Year Group (PYG) to be considered at the Sep 2011 Board will be PYG 10, with CAPT Carson as the junior being considered. CAPT Barksdale will be the senior considered.

Please direct questions to Captain Boogren and our detailing team.
Have a great weekend. Best, EHD

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby VQ Bubba » Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I just struck out looking at various old e-mails and the AQD list I could find seems a bit dated...anyone know what the AQD is for the O-5 Operational Milestone screening?

Google -fu is weak this AM.

Many thanks...

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Milestone OSR Codes

Postby jakeman66 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:03 pm

There are a few different codes used (monitor the NOOCS manual for updates) http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/noc/NOOCSVol1/Pages/default.aspx :

Command Screening Results (CSR) code is a five digit code used in the comments block of your OSR to identify that you have successfully been screened.

Successfully completing a milestone tour will get you an AQD (currently, they are):
GB1 LCDR MILESTONE
Officer who has completed a LCDR IP/IW/INTEL Sea Milestone Tour.
Commander, Naval Network Warfare Command

GB2 CDR MILESTONE
Officer who has completed a CDR IP/IW/INTEL Sea Milestone Tour.

GB3 CAPT MILESTONE
Officer who has completed a CAPT IP/IW/INTEL Sea Milestone Tour.

BI4 Qualified Operational Commander
(a) Completed a tour as Commanding Officer of a Navy Information Operations Command (NIOC), OR (b) Served as a Director of IO/IW/CYBER at a major or joint staff.

jakeman66
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Successfully completing a milestone tour will get you an AQD (currently, they are):

GB1 LCDR MILESTONE
Officer who has completed a LCDR IP/IW/INTEL Sea Milestone Tour.

What is the process for adding this to your record?

Do you have to wait until the tour is complete?

And how do you define "successfully" regarding completion? (joking.....)

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby jakeman66 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:51 pm

COMEVIL wrote:What is the process for adding this to your record?

Do you have to wait until the tour is complete?COMEVIL

The detailers should apply the AQD to your record when orders are cut "after" your milestone tour. Of course and as with all else, it is incumbent upon the individual to ensure their record is up to date. If after your milestone tour is complete and the AQD has not been entered, call your detailer to request they add it.

Cheers.

jakeman66
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Tue May 08, 2012 5:59 pm

jakeman66, thanks for the info.

COMEVIL, I just sent a note to my Detailer to get GB1 for the tour I recently departed and he said it should appear in my record by next week.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner