Benefits of IA During Detailing Process

Benefits of IA During Detailing Process

Postby arvizo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 am

NAVADMIN 276/08 states the following:
JUNIOR OFFICERS, RANKS O-1 THROUGH O-3, COMPLETING EITHER AN IAMM OR GSA TOUR FROM SHORE SLATES WILL RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING GUARANTEES UPON THEIR RETURN FROM AN IA DEPLOYMENT:
(1) THE OFFICER WILL BE OFFERED THE FLEET-CONCENTRATION AREA OR HOMEPORT OF THEIR CHOICE.
(2) THE OFFICER WILL BE DETAILED INDEPENDENTLY FROM THE STANDARD COMPETITIVE SLATING PROCESS; ORDERS WILL BE CRAFTED INDIVIDUALLY IN A ONE-ON-ONE CONSTRUCT.
(3) FOR FUTURE SLATES, THE OFFICER WILL RECEIVE IA "SLATING CREDIT," WHICH RANKS AN OFFICER WHO HAS COMPLETED AN IA ASSIGNMENT ABOVE PEERS WITH SIMILAR QUALIFICATIONS/FITNESS REPORTS.
(4) THE OFFICER WILL NOT BE ASSIGNED TO ANOTHER IAMM/GSA DURING THEIR NEXT SHORE TOUR FOLLOWING IA SERVICE, UNLESS THEY ARE A VOLUNTEER.

What locations are considered FCAs or homeports for IWOs?

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 pm

I would think Norfolk and San Diego would be two of them. The IW detailer or IWOCM can tell you for sure.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 pm

1610MATROS wrote:I would think Norfolk and San Diego would be two of them. The IW detailer or IWOCM can tell you for sure.

Yes, those two are definitely FCAs for anyone in the Navy. I'm really wondering if there are any others. It seems to me that Ft. Meade, Gordon, Medina, and Kunia would also be FCAs for us.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Fri May 15, 2009 2:06 pm

As community manager, I think CDR Heritage would play a part in defining those FCAs.

In a way, their message does not make much sense
(2) THE OFFICER WILL BE DETAILED INDEPENDENTLY FROM THE STANDARD COMPETITIVE SLATING PROCESS; ORDERS WILL BE CRAFTED INDIVIDUALLY IN A ONE-ON-ONE CONSTRUCT.

There is not much "standard competitive slating process" at the O1-O3 level. Also, aren't ALL orders "crafted individually in a one-on-one construct?

Basically they are saying that after you complete an IA, you should be able to go where you want. Interestingly, O4s do not get a preference following an IA. They just go into the detailing pool with a promise of the detailer doing 'his best' to meet the LCDR's detailing desires.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat May 16, 2009 9:14 am

Message was written vague enough to apply to all. 1610MATROS effectively simplified it when he said "you should be able to go where you want." That said, detailers will do their best to apply the same to LCDRs and above but do not expect to bypass the slate process for XO, LCDR and above OIC, XO and Fleet jobs. If you are a LT that wants to go to a specific NIOC or a LCDR or above that wants a non-slate job, accomodations will likely be made. That said, your detailer is ground truth and he will be completely transparent with you, so please call. Taking an IA/GSA is a sacrifice and such behavior will continue to be rewarded.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby eswsswo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:22 am

Didn't benefit me...did a year in Iraq and tried my best to take a no-cost PCS from a NIOC to a joint billet at the same geographic location. Detailer would not work with me on it so I dropped papers. I was offered four billets, two of which were sea-duty...coming off a year-long IA. There is a reason that people are getting out so often right now. Our Wardroom has had two LCDR and one LT retirement, and three LT and one LTJG separation requests just in the past few months.

eswsswo
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 am

This same issue is faced by every officer, irrespective of community. SWOs and aviators all experience the same - choice of GSA or some other operational tour many don't want to do. The decision by many to leave is beginning to intensify personnel issues in certain year groups within those communities, as well, particularly SWOs. My buddy recently told me (a SWO) that everyone in his year group will have opportunity for command (according to his detailer).

I used to think officers resigining because they didn't like making a choice between operational tours and other operational tours created problems, as it theoretically produced personnel shortfalls. However, I have come to realize that all they do to solve the problem is simply cut or reclassify the number of billets to ensure the shortage isn't as acute. After all, 80 of 100 billets (for example) filled is far better than 75 of 130. The only thing I wonder about now is where all the work goes when those 30 billets are eliminated. I think there is alot of wiggle room in other communities to trim fat, especially if big Navy and DOD are going to shrink long-term (which seems to be the polticial mood).

The thing I don't like about the 'take it or leave it' attitude in use by some other communities is that it offers no way to ensure the Navy maintains the best officers. Those who are self confident and have a solid plan often don't feel there is adequate incentive for serving beyond their initial requirement. I can't argue, as anyone who has served one tour has done more than their share (IMHO). There are more than a few who stay in primarily because staying is safe and they don't need to do anything more than average in order earn a retirement. The 'good, better, best' promotion system in use ensures we are all equal, with maybe one (two at the most) yearly exception. I think eventually the promotion and personnel systems will have to be overhauled, once we really start trimming the military (if we ever do), vice cutting weapons programs and obvious dead weight we are continuing to address now.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 am

ESWSSWO

Your story needs flag attention. PM me if you need help in telling your story.

Thank you for your service in Iraq.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby BTS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:20 pm

yoshi wrote:...I think eventually the promotion and personnel systems will have to be overhauled, once we really start trimming the military (if we ever do), vice cutting weapons programs and obvious dead weight we are continuing to address now.

Amen. Yet another of the antiquated systems kept well past usefulness. Wouldn't it be nice to see promotion boards based on merit instead of time in grade. At the same time, 20 year LT's (like you see in the UK) might not be a bad thing as well.

BTS
Registered Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner