Block 40 Recommendation

Block 40 Recommendation

Postby Sum1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Good morning,

I was hoping to get some advice regarding the oft-overlooked Block 40 on our Navy FITREPs.

Has anyone received any recent advice from a peer/mentor about what to put in Block 40 post-O-4 MS? O-4 Leadership, War College, and fellowship/scholarship opportunities are obvious choices. What should someone look to have on a FITREP if they're already going to be O-4 MS complete and War College is on the horizon? I feel a little dirty putting another "cushy" recommendation as the second choice (LEGISLATIVE FELLOWS, POL-MIL, etc.) if the next time it's relevant I'm coming off a year in Newport. Do people ever recommend calling out specific locations/positions (e.g. JOINT STAFF, PENTAGON, FLAG AIDE)?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Re: Block 40 Recommendation

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Sum1 wrote:Good morning,

I was hoping to get some advice regarding the oft-overlooked Block 40 on our Navy FITREPs.

Has anyone received any recent advice from a peer/mentor about what to put in Block 40 post-O-4 MS? O-4 Leadership, War College, and fellowship/scholarship opportunities are obvious choices. What should someone look to have on a FITREP if they're already going to be O-4 MS complete and War College is on the horizon? I feel a little dirty putting another "cushy" recommendation as the second choice (LEGISLATIVE FELLOWS, POL-MIL, etc.) if the next time it's relevant I'm coming off a year in Newport. Do people ever recommend calling out specific locations/positions (e.g. JOINT STAFF, PENTAGON, FLAG AIDE)?

Just looked back at all my FITREPS, starting with LT:

CSG CRC, Detailer / NSW, Detailer / Special Programs, Detailer / XO, Detailer / Command, Joint Staff / CO, Joint / Command, CDR Milestone / Command, Flag EA.

Those in bold are jobs I have actually held, or are penciled in to go to next.

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby jay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 pm

COMEVIL, thank you for posting your examples, this will be helpful in the future.

I've come to an interesting problem, I was selected on the xfer board and my fitrep is due soon. Since I haven't officially been released from my current community (Don't foresee it happening before fitrep is due), should I just continue with the standard Block 40 entries?

jay
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:34 pm

jay wrote:COMEVIL, thank you for posting your examples, this will be helpful in the future.

I've come to an interesting problem, I was selected on the xfer board and my fitrep is due soon. Since I haven't officially been released from my current community (Don't foresee it happening before fitrep is due), should I just continue with the standard Block 40 entries?

I honestly wouldn't sweat it until your first observed FITREP as an 1810.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 pm

COMEVIL wrote:

CSG CRC, Detailer / NSW, Detailer / Special Programs, Detailer / XO, Detailer / Command, Joint Staff / CO, Joint / Command, CDR Milestone / Command, Flag EA.

v/r

COMEVIL

I appreciate the perspective. Thank you! I'm going to have to spend a little more time thinking about it, especially since this might be the last observed regular FITREP in a little while. The next will be a transfer, and then a NOB at NWC to follow.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Sum1 wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:

v/r

COMEVIL

I appreciate the perspective. Thank you! I'm going to have to spend a little more time thinking about it, especially since this might be the last observed regular FITREP in a little while. The next will be a transfer, and then a NOB at NWC to follow.

If you are already going to LCDR Milestone I would add XO/OIC at a minimum.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Sum1 wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:

v/r

COMEVIL

If you are already going to LCDR Milestone I would add XO/OIC at a minimum.

Kind of a weird situation. I can discuss more SEPCOR. The Air Force O-5 supervisor was hung up over the fact that in his service they wouldn't change the Block 40-type recommendations until I was complete or in the billet. So, for example, his take was my FITREP should keep saying WAR COLLEGE until I was actually there. Believe he had a discussion with the Navy LCDR down the hall or the CDR who reviews all Navy FITREPs, so he's backed off of that.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner