Big Changes to NOOCS Manual & CWO AQD

Big Changes to NOOCS Manual & CWO AQD

Postby Schlag » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 am

In case you missed it, there's been a recent revision to the NOOCS Manual that has disestablished the BI2 and BO1 AQD. Skillsets represented by these AQD have been broken down ino a more specific designator.

Formerly BI2 is now:
  • BIA for Air DSO/SPECEVAL experience (min. 300 flight hours)
  • BIS for Surface DSO experience (min. 210 days underway to include training) or completion of Surface PCS Afloat Tour
  • BIU for Subsurface DSO experience (min. 210 days underway to include training)
  • BIW for TIO/Special Warfare Support experience (min. 15 month tour)

Formerly BO1 is now:
  • BOC for Cyber Capabilities Development experience
  • BOD for DCO (CPT) experience
  • BOO for OCO (CMT/NMT) experience
  • In all cases, offiers must have 12 consequtive months or 24 aggregate months of experience to qualify

Primary adjudicator of this (and pretty much any other AQD) is NAVIFOR. Officers who believe they qualify for these AQDs must be nominated by their CO or designated representative. Once nominated, you will then send your nomination and any supporting documentation (qual letters, school graduation, etc.) to NAVIFOR for final adjudication. Once adjudicated, NAVIFOR will then pass to PERS-472 for annotation in your record.

In speaking with the Detailer, it sounds like PERS-472 is going to grandfather current holders of the BI2 and BO1 AQD. This is a manual process that involves pulling everyone's FITREPs for appropriate documentation so it will probably take a lot of time to do.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Re: Big Changes to NOOCS Manual & CWO AQD

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Schlag wrote:In case you missed it, there's been a recent revision to the NOOCS Manual that has disestablished the BI2 and BO1 AQD. Skillsets represented by these AQD have been broken down ino a more specific designator.

Formerly BI2 is now:
  • BIA for Air DSO/SPECEVAL experience (min. 300 flight hours)
  • BIS for Surface DSO experience (min. 210 days underway to include training) or completion of Surface PCS Afloat Tour
  • BIU for Subsurface DSO experience (min. 210 days underway to include training)
  • BIW for TIO/Special Warfare Support experience (min. 15 month tour)

Formerly BO1 is now:
  • BOC for Cyber Capabilities Development experience
  • BOD for DCO (CPT) experience
  • BOO for OCO (CMT/NMT) experience
  • In all cases, offiers must have 12 consequtive months or 24 aggregate months of experience to qualify

Sigh. I wonder what value this will add. Will we use this information for talent management or career planning? Or is this just another way to add to a never ending list of nearly meaningless AQDs?

Primary adjudicator of this (and pretty much any other AQD) is NAVIFOR. Officers who believe they qualify for these AQDs must be nominated by their CO or designated representative. Once nominated, you will then send your nomination and any supporting documentation (qual letters, school graduation, etc.) to NAVIFOR for final adjudication. Once adjudicated, NAVIFOR will then pass to PERS-472 for annotation in your record.

In speaking with the Detailer, it sounds like PERS-472 is going to grandfather current holders of the BI2 and BO1 AQD. This is a manual process that involves pulling everyone's FITREPs for appropriate documentation so it will probably take a lot of time to do.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:33 pm

COMEVIL wrote:Sigh. I wonder what value this will add. Will we use this information for talent management or career planning? Or is this just another way to add to a never ending list of nearly meaningless AQDs?

Unsure, but I'm not too sure that the original intent for BI2 was to codify what type of DSO experience you had. Rather, I think the intent was to make sure that you were a "Real" DSO if you were going to get the credit. Codifying the type of experience then became a target of opportunity; especially since you'd have to set some sort of experience requirement for each DSO domain.

As for cyber, it kind of makes sense, but I am curious if this means you get stovepiped into OCO, DCO, or capabilities development.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I wonder if how experience at USCYBERCOM, FCC etc. vice time at an NMT, CPT or CMT will align with the BOx series?

I was a Battle Captain on the in the JOC for 24 months, pretty extensive DCO and OCO mission set but being that it was at the 4 star staff I don't see that -- based on the current available verbiage not sure that I would be eligible.

BT BT

Looks like I will qualify for BIA, BIS and BIU ... I am almost BIU'd out.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:07 pm

Stalwart wrote:... I am almost BIU'd out.

And this is my point. At least for board purposes, only a select few AQDs appear to matter (in my experience). Those include Milestone, Leadership, and Command Screening. Not sure how we will leverage all of these others, if we will at all. Maybe some of our friends in Millington can enlighten us.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:41 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Stalwart wrote:... I am almost BIU'd out.

And this is my point. At least for board purposes, only a select few AQDs appear to matter (in my experience). Those include Milestone, Leadership, and Command Screening. Not sure how we will leverage all of these others, if we will at all. Maybe some of our friends in Millington can enlighten us.

I imagine part of the purpose is to be able to track, cross reference or conduct a quick data pull on the number of officers who have {fill in the blank] type of experience. For the most part, I think you are right in that for boards etc. (First one being for O4) I don't think briefing that someone was a Sub DSO or SPECEVAL gives special 'oomf' than just briefing "fleet experience" etc.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby cleansparks1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:21 pm

I don't see much value in an AQD for tracking purposes if we are relying on Officers to self-submit. There are already TIWO-AIR/SURFACE/SUBSURFACE/SPECWAR and Cyber Capability Development NOBCs. These new AQDs seem mostly pointless.

cleansparks1
Registered Member

Postby Schlag » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't want to speak for the Detailers/OCM, but again, I don't think the "real" intent was to document what flavor of DSO you were.

I think the true intention was to draw a line in the sand for how long you needed to do the DSO job to get credit for it.

I've been at a Big 4 for a while and I've seen DSO that have done the deed their entire 3 year tour (sustained ITEMPO of 50%+ throughout). I've also seen DSO that spent 12-18 months on a watchfloor getting their basic quals, finally hit their shop, get qualified, maybe do a (short) deployment, and then short tour to NPS. Should both of them get DSO credit?

Breaking apart DSO AQD into separate domains was probably an unintended consequence of having to set clear expectations for each DSO domain of what is and what is not DSO credit.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:34 am

Schlag wrote:I don't want to speak for the Detailers/OCM, but again, I don't think the "real" intent was to document what flavor of DSO you were.

I think the true intention was to draw a line in the sand for how long you needed to do the DSO job to get credit for it.

I've been at a Big 4 for a while and I've seen DSO that have done the deed their entire 3 year tour (sustained ITEMPO of 50%+ throughout). I've also seen DSO that spent 12-18 months on a watchfloor getting their basic quals, finally hit their shop, get qualified, maybe do a (short) deployment, and then short tour to NPS. Should both of them get DSO credit?

Breaking apart DSO AQD into separate domains was probably an unintended consequence of having to set clear expectations for each DSO domain of what is and what is not DSO credit.

That may be it. I have seen what you describe unfortunately - some DSO's deploying heavily (my personal ITEMPO on my first tour was over 70% of the 33 months I was a Sub DSO) and others who are deployed far less (under 30%) but still "successfully completed the tour".

Granted, sometimes the reason for a DSO (or an officer in a DSO billet) not getting significant time underway is a conscious decision of the CO, sometimes it is tied to the ability of the officer to get qualified, sometimes it is a lull in requirements / capability (something I saw happen to more than one female DSO when a supported unit could not accommodate a female augmentee), sometimes it is a Lemony Snicketty series of unfortunate events beyond the officer's control.

I would wonder, what does crossing that "line in the sand" and getting "DSO credit" actually 'get' someone? Is (should) a package be briefed differently for an officer who goes to a DSO billet but does not accumulate enough underway time to get the AQD? If the officer accumulates time underway and gets a concurrent FITREP or two etc. but does not get the AQD is that still considered successful completion of the tour? If that nuance is not briefed or tracked, what is the difference between an officer with and an officer without the AQD?

Whatever the AQD is intended or used for ... I am going to get a flish made up and do something fun with it ... who's in it with me? The more we order the cheaper the cost ;)

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Few quick points to this discussion:

NOBCs are attached to a billet to identify ideal fill for the detailers
- are automatically added to a record based on billets filled
- assumes you work in the job the billet is aligned to for the duration....clearly that doesn't happen in most cases
- detailers are not beholding to fill to the NOBC skills identified on a particular billet
- don't overly influence boards b/c they don't accurately capture experience

AQDs are used to track experience of an individual based on documented performance
- can be attached to billets, but we as CWs rarely use them that way
- normally awarded when members contact detailer

As already discussed, the reason behind the more discrete AQDs was twofold:
1 - provides ability to quickly query for particular skillsets later (case and point is the detailer determining who is suited to fill Sub DSO pos'n on C10F staff or Joint Cyber Planner pos'ns)
2 - provides more standard application of awarding a given AQD...prevents single ride Sub DSO's from being seen the same as 12 ride Sub DSO's (same applies for other DIRSUP or Cyber disciplines)

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner