Core Disciplines (SIGINT - Cyber - EW)

Which 1810 dicipline is most important in your opinion?

SIGINT
91%
Cyber
9%
EW
No votes

Total votes : 11

Core Disciplines (SIGINT - Cyber - EW)

Postby CNO Guy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Since it has gone silent here on the InfoWarriors, thought I would pose a question in the form of a short Poll: Which of our core disciplines is the most important?

Hopefully there are more than 10 responses.

Last edited by CNO Guy on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Re: Core Disciplines (SINGINT - Cyber - EW)

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:31 am

Spelling is the most important discipline... :eek:

Seriously, why no 4th option? A combo of the 3? They are all interdependent?

A certain venn diagram comes to mind.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Meh, spelling :D

Thought about a few other options for a 4th choice, but decided to keep it strictly with the foundational principles....if a 4th choice of "combination" was provided it would likely be the only choice to receive any votes.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:13 pm

CNO Guy wrote:Meh, spelling :D

Thought about a few other options for a 4th choice, but decided to keep it strictly with the foundational principles....if a 4th choice of "combination" was provided it would likely be the only choice to receive any votes.

No vote from me, then.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." -- Neil Peart

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Yes, you choose to not let your opinion count by not sharing it or voting in this case...I'll just chalk it up as an undeclared vote for SIGINT =)

Might take the same tactic in the presidential election if things keep going the way they are.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:40 pm

CNO Guy wrote:Yes, you choose to not let your opinion count by not sharing it or voting in this case...I'll just chalk it up as an undeclared vote for SIGINT =)

Might take the same tactic in the presidential election if things keep going the way they are.

I am of that opinion that they are all interconnected/mutually beneficial. There is a reason those 3 areas are our core mission sets --- they all depend on each other in order to be fully effective. None can be done in a vacuum.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:25 pm

I found myself conflicted, and ended up voting for what I thought 'should be' most important to the 1810 Wardroom at large. That said, no answer is incorrect:

What is most important for I&W / intent? Probably SIGINT.

What is most important to the CO of a DDG? Probably EW.

What is most important to build our capability at (where are we the most behind)? Probably Cyber.

What is most important if you misspell SIGINT? Knowing that your heart will go on.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Stalwart wrote:What is most important if you misspell SIGINT? Knowing that your heart will go on.
I like it, but will have the song stuck in my head all day now!

Ok, perhaps I should have included several options beyond the three to include permutations of grouping 2...too late now, can't edit the original. Maybe I should delete and start over and chalk it up as a lesson learned...

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Re: Core Disciplines (SIGINT - Cyber - EW)

Postby yoshi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:40 pm

I'm glad you only provided the three choices. Whether we are aware or not, the community makes hard choices every day which take from one of these three disciplines and give to one or more of the others. There's talk of convergence and evolution which would eliminate the barrier between these discreet disciplines. While certainly possible, it is by no means sufficiently realized or ubiquitous to utilize as the philosophical underpinning for future plans. Yet, we have demonstrated a proclivity over the past decade to project our philosophy (see Information Warfare community, the FIOC CONOPs, NUCO, distributed operations and other abortions) in a way which doesn't directly address the priorities of the Commanders we are supposed to support. Tough to figure if we are or are not wrapping future reality around what we'd like to see rather than what is happening. The point is - we can't hold hostage making tough choices/practical decision making because we'd like to believe one or more disciplines can't exist without the other. The fact is, while they are very complementary, each discipline can - and does - exist separately from the others. Considering the types of adversaries we face and the universally understood risk of exploitation inherent across the entire EM, it makes sense that each discipline will continue to exist separately.

Separately, I'm beginning to think we've reached the point where cyber and SIGINT/EW must split into separate efforts/communities. Given how we are structured/our numbers/$/etc, I don't see how we can take the necessary steps in either area to efficiently move forward. We do have occasion where we MUST be able to decide between the two and that makes many very uncomfortable, even though it shouldn't. There is no sacred cow and no sacred process which must include or conflate disciplines together (other than maybe TOA, flag poles, etc). Cyber is vital for cyber mission teams - SIGINT/EW, not at all. SIGINT/EW is vital for ships; cyber (1810/CT type cyber - not to be confused with DODIN OPs), not at all. Understanding where authorities lie, CYBERCOM (as a possible full COCOM), and each discipline: there are far more reasons to support intelligent division of what is now an excessively large and overly general job jar. That specialization (cyber and SIGINT/EW), latitude, and focus would allow each resulting community to make better headway independently than our one combined community is capable of making today.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner