IW Name Change

Re: IW Name Change

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 am

Stalwart wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:
Romeocorpen wrote:CWO X2 (my new license plate idea)

Would that be in place of your current TSWIFT plates?

I thought it was BELIEBR

That one is on his Mazda Miata.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Incidentally, I had never heard of Navy Live until this thread.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:49 pm

I spoke with a senior 1810 LCDR who had seen the emblem but not the full letter and thought we were "Cryptology Officers" (based on the emblem) rather than "Cryptologic Warfare Officers." I had to show her the full text and point out the new CWO name. She hadn't seen the email or Navy Live article, and doesn't participate in the HYPO blog or here. This is not an atypical situation, and is why its my humble opinion that a NAVADMIN would have been the appropriate vehicle to get the word out with press releases and blogs filling a supporting, complementary communication role.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Sum1 wrote:I spoke with a senior 1810 LCDR who had seen the emblem but not the full letter and thought we were "Cryptology Officers" (based on the emblem) rather than "Cryptologic Warfare Officers." I had to show her the full text and point out the new CWO name. She hadn't seen the email or Navy Live article, and doesn't participate in the HYPO blog or here. This is not an atypical situation, and is why its my humble opinion that a NAVADMIN would have been the appropriate vehicle to get the word out with press releases and blogs filling a supporting, complementary communication role.

Because everyone reads every NAVADMIN... ;)

Honestly, think about that statement in 2016. We need to send a record message to get the word out. The audience is online. Your senior 1810 LCDR is the exception to the rule.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:16 am

COMEVIL wrote:
Sum1 wrote:I spoke with a senior 1810 LCDR who had seen the emblem but not the full letter and thought we were "Cryptology Officers" (based on the emblem) rather than "Cryptologic Warfare Officers." I had to show her the full text and point out the new CWO name. She hadn't seen the email or Navy Live article, and doesn't participate in the HYPO blog or here. This is not an atypical situation, and is why its my humble opinion that a NAVADMIN would have been the appropriate vehicle to get the word out with press releases and blogs filling a supporting, complementary communication role.

Honestly, think about that statement in 2016. We need to send a record message to get the word out. The audience is online. Your senior 1810 LCDR is the exception to the rule.

Very true, but the online audience isn't online everywhere at the same time. We run into this with strategic level and operational planning when we're talking about social media and similar all the time. Despite what we say, mirror imaging still happens, and here is one example. Just because you are in a particular space online doesn't mean the audience you're attempting to communicate with necessarily is. I still think ONE location for the passing of official information (NAVADMIN) with amplification occurring in multiple spaces (FB, Twitter, Blog, etc.) pointing back to the official communication and providing whatever other additional info should be the key engagement tool.

An added bonus to a NAVADMIN is a year from now when someone is trying to go back and find out about the name change they don't have to try to scroll back over a year of Facebook posts, Tweets, or Navy blog. They go to the NPC webpage, click on message library, and do a quick "find." Done. The information is consolidated and available immediately in a logical place.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 am

COMEVIL wrote:

Ships at sea coordinate a lot of stuff over chat - but at the end of the day, there are certain things like DivTacs that can only happen after receiving a proper FLTTAC radio order. Think about that statement in 2016.

If you don't read NAVADMIN/Message Traffic then you're wrong. It doesn't matter that it's a system that is pretty much the same since WW2 or that it's 2016. The day that I have to add Station HYPO, Facebook, Twitter, or any other social blog/media to my daily required read list is the day I turn in my bars.

There are tried and true (and while probably archaic) means of communication for a reason. I think that leadership is remise if we do not use them to diseminate important information; particularly of a claimency-wide nature.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:01 am

Schlag wrote: "...that can only happen after receiving a proper FLTTAC radio order."

I kind of hate you for reminding me about FLT TAC.

:)

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Schlag wrote: If you don't read NAVADMIN/Message Traffic then you're wrong. It doesn't matter that it's a system that is pretty much the same since WW2 or that it's 2016. The day that I have to add Station HYPO, Facebook, Twitter, or any other social blog/media to my daily required read list is the day I turn in my bars.

I guess you will be in good company with that senior 1810 LCDR. That is OK. Some folks will evolve, push forward, and drive change. Others will not.

Enjoy sending your correspondence around the command in a shotgun envelope.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:48 pm

COMEVIL wrote:
Schlag wrote: If you don't read NAVADMIN/Message Traffic then you're wrong. It doesn't matter that it's a system that is pretty much the same since WW2 or that it's 2016. The day that I have to add Station HYPO, Facebook, Twitter, or any other social blog/media to my daily required read list is the day I turn in my bars.

I guess you will be in good company with that senior 1810 LCDR. That is OK. Some folks will evolve, push forward, and drive change. Others will not.

Enjoy sending your correspondence around the command in a shotgun envelope.

Next Combatant Command Instruction I write will be released via it's official Facebook page. I'll expect the staff to understand it and adhere to the responsibilities two years from now because they should have been online and participating in the form of communication chosen for them at that very moment. No matter that in 24 hours it was buried under three other posts/articles, and in a week essentially gone.

Do you send the CO a facebook message when you need him to sign or review something?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Now it's official:

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military ... /81862142/

In all seriousness, I would expect a NAVADMIN from OPNAV N2N6 to make the announcement formally though timeline for that happening is completely unknown. That being said, we should be celebrating the fact that leadership is communicating via a wider means than email and record message rather than overly criticizing...after all, we have been clamoring for better communication for years and now that there is the slightest momentum in that direction, we don't want to spook them away like timid game we have tracked tirelessly!

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner