FY-17 Zone Message

Re: FY-17 Zone Message

Postby arvizo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:11 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:SUM1- Out of curiosity, what STEM program are you pursuing?

STALWART/All,
I was fortunate to attend NPS, but was debating the NDU Govt Information Leadership program. Fully funded for active duty military. No TA needed... Not STEM in traditional sense of the hard sciences, but could be an option to other online/part time programs. It is an MS degree program and you can specialize in Cyber security, Cyber Leadership, and others. Check out the NDU icollege website if interested...

I have no first hand knowledge of the program, just the fact it exists. Some course offerings look pretty interesting...

I'm currently in my 4th NDU course towards the Chief Information Officer certificate program. They offer a variety of certificates (Cyber Security, Cyber Leadership, IT Program Management, etc.) and you can continue with any of them towards a Master's in Government Information Leadership. The requirements were reduced a couple years ago so now it only takes six courses for a certificate program and 12 courses for the Master's.

Active duty must be O4 or above to enroll. Apparently they don't do waivers. The courses aren't very demanding, but you'll get out of them what you put in. The topics and readings have been interesting to me and help keep me current on cybersecurity issues. Additionally, I've been able to use the courses for my annual Continuing Professional Education requirements for CISSP and CEH.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:11 pm

arvizo wrote:
LIVINGIW wrote:SUM1- Out of curiosity, what STEM program are you pursuing?

STALWART/All,
I was fortunate to attend NPS, but was debating the NDU Govt Information Leadership program. Fully funded for active duty military. No TA needed... Not STEM in traditional sense of the hard sciences, but could be an option to other online/part time programs. It is an MS degree program and you can specialize in Cyber security, Cyber Leadership, and others. Check out the NDU icollege website if interested...

I have no first hand knowledge of the program, just the fact it exists. Some course offerings look pretty interesting...

I'm currently in my 4th NDU course towards the Chief Information Officer certificate program. They offer a variety of certificates (Cyber Security, Cyber Leadership, IT Program Management, etc.) and you can continue with any of them towards a Master's in Government Information Leadership. The requirements were reduced a couple years ago so now it only takes six courses for a certificate program and 12 courses for the Master's.

Active duty must be O4 or above to enroll. Apparently they don't do waivers. The courses aren't very demanding, but you'll get out of them what you put in. The topics and readings have been interesting to me and help keep me current on cybersecurity issues. Additionally, I've been able to use the courses for my annual Continuing Professional Education requirements for CISSP and CEH.

Are these online?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Yes, all the courses I've taken have been entirely online (Distance Learning, as the school calls them). They do have in-residence courses, but I don't know the process for getting into those.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Most appealing parts of that program is the cost, the fact it is all online, and the specializations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:26 pm

CDR board has adjourned. Expect results to be out on Friday.

:D

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:32 pm

COMEVIL wrote:CDR board has adjourned. Expect results to be out on Friday.

Queue this thread turning into a ghost town until July/August.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:31 pm

COMEVIL wrote:CDR board has adjourned. Expect results to be out on Friday.

Friday, 26 August.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:39 pm

No way. We still have to talk about the CO for the LCDR board when it comes out... Then all the fun of dissecting the O6 and O5 results...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 am

LIVINGIW wrote:No way. We still have to talk about the CO for the LCDR board when it comes out... Then all the fun of dissecting the O6 and O5 results...

"Deciphering" the O6 and O5 results, you mean! We ARE, after all, about to become Cryptologic (Warfare) Officers, again, right?

It's true though... I forgot about the convening order discussion(s) that tend to happen this time of the year around here. I'm very interested to see how the LCDR order might differ from last year.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby ga10 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:20 am

But the most important question has not yet been asked: Are we going to get our FITREPs back in time for the LCDR board? :D

ga10
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner