STEM Degrees

Re: STEM Degrees

Postby Mjölnir » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:53 pm

yoshi wrote:We could talk all day about whether or not it makes sense (a worthy exchange of ideas/debate), but the most important factor isn't what is best for the community. The most important factor is what's best for you and the choices available to obtain it.

From a blunt, maybe cold but honest point of view ... the Community needs to do what is best for the Community, and I understand that will short some people, possibly me. I get it, it is nothing personal, its business.

yoshi wrote:The community has been pretty honest with what it wants via precepts and other information. And, there has been (very) palpable urgency in leadership's actions to get it. The community isn't sending a subtle message. It's broadcasting directly. No matter my opinion of the content, I personally appreciate the candor used by the community in communicating intentions.

My only issue here is that while the Community (the Navy too) is sending the STEM message (loud and clear) they are not articulating nor am I aware of any effort on a way to solve the problems of a lack of quotas to get folks STEM degrees & that more than a few of the officers in the 10-15 years of commissioned service category followed the "just get a grad degree" advice and do not have STEM degrees. Many of these officers are not substandard officers, they followed the advice of the community leadership/detailers when they were LTjgs and LTs, now that they are LCDRs and CDRs they are now off the desired track because the route changed 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to an opportunity for command.

Personally, I want to command ... I at the very least want to compete for it and not be a second tier candidate because of the STEM degree issue. I don't know nor really think that the STEM degree outweighs "sustained superior performance" ... yet. I don't think anything will replace superior performance, but if all things are equal and a discriminator must be found between two candidates ... then based on the precept verbiage I would expect the STEM degree to be a potential tie-breaker. It is hard to not notice the language in those precepts and be concerned that I will make the decision to work on a third grad degree on 'my own time' or accept that I may just not be a 'true' candidate for command under this new direction.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Edit: I realized that upon rereading my post it is just a bunch of whining... so I'm editing it out. My bad.

I love my job and am looking forward to getting back to a place where I might lead some Sailors, but I'm not super excited about being stuck in windowless rooms with computers for the rest of my career in order to be relevant and compete for milestones/command. The subsurface/afloat/NSW/CRC/DIWC track was exciting, and for a while seemed like a viable way to command. Now from this tenuous single O-5 milestone/command selection board data point and the addition of the STEM language in the board precepts/orders there's concern a shift might be happening. We'll see what happens. If there's a grand plan the communication of that plan might be a little wanting.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:42 pm

I wrote the post but I'll never get a STEM degree. It is what it is... Timing might keep me safe. I think most in my peer group don't have them anyway, so competition won't be so keen. I'll find out next Spring.

If I were a young JO, however...time to start thinking about how to get to NPS.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:03 pm

COMEVIL wrote:I wrote the post but I'll never get a STEM degree. It is what it is... Timing might keep me safe. I think most in my peer group don't have them anyway, so competition won't be so keen. I'll find out next Spring.

If I were a young JO, however...time to start thinking about how to get to NPS.

What if you are an old JO ;) ... I kid ... I kid.

I have always recommended to folks to jump on NPS if they can get it. Better to let the Navy pay you to be a student than to be doing your job (likely a challenging job), manage your personal life & sanity and now get a grad degree on top of that.

I'll be honest, if the Navy (or a remarkably awesome CO) said to me "you may be getting the short end of the stick by this paradigm shift, I am going to give you a year PTAD (or 1/2 days etc.) go get a STEM degree." I would pay for it out of pocket with no gripes. I understand not everyone has that kind of financial flexibility, but I think the option your OP about a career-intermission (of course with an associated obligated service time afterward) should be something that our Community manager & leadership should seriously consider for those of us whose timing may / will be impacted. The 'own time / own dime' route is really dependent on so many factors (work load, home life/situation, proximity to a University that you can attend in the evenings etc.) that it could be near impossible.

The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.
Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner