O-5 Command Results -- Message to the IW Community?

Re: O-5 Command Results -- Message to the IW Community?

Postby Arkad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:05 pm

I think our objective here should be to help our OCM focus his communication efforts. Our new OCM engages the Flag Deck, shares isights and progress reports regularly, and is very focused on educating the masses. He has even been pondering the merits of a survey to focus our continual improvement efforts (clearly a commitment to follow through on what we learn from the collective is necessary before assessing potential ROI). Let's help all of us out by sharing our confusion, our ideas, our assumptions, and our concerns. So WE can do something about them. I offered nine things earlier in this thread and rest assured that I have shared them well beyond this forum and continue to influence what I can.

I was a panel member at last week's "Athena East Naval Innovation Competition". The room was filled with passionate problem solvers with strong initiative who were taking action. They took their ideas as far as they could on their own and were there to share with others in hopes of getting guidance so they can take the steps and give over current obstacles. It was extremely motivating. We need more of us to engage beyond this forum. We need to do more than share uninformed opinions. We need to be visibly committed to leading. I firmly believe that our biggest void in the IDC is a lack of leaders. I look up, down, and across the IDC when I say that. Those who are truly leading are the exception, we need to make leadership the norm. We can complain about what we see or we can fill the leadership void ourselves. Leaders remove barriers, leaders go first, leaders act! Are you/we leading or are you/we letting ourselves and our Shipmates down as we talk about what we might, could, should do? Let's do IT...let's be leaders!!

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:30 pm

1) Who/what determines the demand signal for our skills - is it us?
2) Understanding the eventuality of 18XX officers (1860) and the IDC idea, shouldn't we broaden the exposure at lower levels (O4/O5) to better prepare officers? (Navy already decided on generalists =IDC).
3) Current cross-detailing (largely to command) seems to follow a "do-no-harm-to-communities'-equities" approach. Does this demonstrate the communities are really "all in" with the IDC idea?
4) If breakage is a concern of cross detailing, how can IDC make sense (only some of the time at certain commands vs all of the time at every command?), particularly with no early broadening?
5) Why do each of the 4 communities continue to maintain pre-IDC manpower paradigms? Each community maintains commands (IW=NIOCs, Intel=ONI commands, OCEAN-O= FLTWEAXCENs, IP= NCTAMS) which are still almost wholly homogenous with respect to the rates and designators serving inside of them. There are exceptions, but they are few. Have we looked at all IDC commands to determine skills required for every billet assigned and identified opportunities to cross breed within the IDC where possible? Is this a feasible option and if not what is the inherent barrier? Why would this be a bad idea? (its been done at FCC, a recently stood-up command, but how about in Mississippi, FID/FIAFs, NIOCs, etc?)
6) Three gravitational forces in our community - Navy, FCC, and IDC. Which is/should be the a priori force influencing our community management? Or, are we simply hitting the pitches as they come (before they hits us)?
7) How has becoming an operational force (all "operational" now) affected/changed what we provide to the regular Navy (non-IDC commanders) in terms of billets/capability? (essentially, how to explain to fleet commanders, when asked)?
8) How does community strategy link to the IDC strategy? Which is predominant, or are they simply separate?

Not sure these aren't already answered somewhere, but these are some of the things about which I wonder. I don't think present w/c/s is sustainable, particularly where the IDC is concerned (has to get figured out - one way or the other - beyond paper and an OPNAV office supporting a 3 star (think utility)). Also, not sure what will happen once FCC turns over, whether it is next year or 7 years from now. That will definitely change the decision calculus. What is best for the community/IDC beyond turnover of FCC and NSA/CYBERCOM? That is where we should be focused, I think, particularly given the (assumption) IDC influence will dominate. Are we, today, building it right for the Navy and the people who will succeed us?

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 am

Love it, Yoshi! Partnering with our friends in Millington to create a Q&A for O4s and below to engage in person with the OCM and JO Detailer very soon. Ironing out the details and will release a record message from "That Command in Suffolk." Hope is to get all available IWOs across the waterfront there to spend up to one entire day. Heck, we may even get some passionate teammates from DC/MD to make a road trip. Goal is not to hash out the same old detailer brief and promotion board stats, but instead to have an honest sensing session (Chatham House Rules) amongst the future of the community. Then meet up with O5s and up for a beverage. Would love to see what interest there is as early as possible. Thoughts?

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Arkad wrote:Love it, Yoshi! Partnering with our friends in Millington to create a Q&A for O4s and below to engage in person with the OCM and JO Detailer very soon. Ironing out the details and will release a record message from "That Command in Suffolk." Hope is to get all available IWOs across the waterfront there to spend up to one entire day. Heck, we may even get some passionate teammates from DC/MD to make a road trip. Goal is not to hash out the same old detailer brief and promotion board stats, but instead to have an honest sensing session (Chatham House Rules) amongst the future of the community. Then meet up with O5s and up for a beverage. Would love to see what interest there is as early as possible. Thoughts?

Please don't limit participation geographically. CRIC is doing the same thing in their effort to redesign the detailing system. (Nothing like a bunch of Norfolk homesteaders planning out the future detailing system.) If at all possible include participation via VTC, etc.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Sounds like a great idea, hoping its not w/in the next 3 weeks, but after November 01. Lots going on, many places over next 25 days.

With respect to the CRIC project, I'm attending that on 20 October @ ODU (IDC Talent Market Detailing Pilot Program Workshop). I think the idea is overdue, as today's detailing process chiefly serves the Navy's Personnel Command, while the gaining command and incoming officer may or may not receive what is needed. However, having read the references cited in the announcement I received, I also have some legitimate concerns related to the effort. In short, not sure those working this process possess a solid understanding of the IDC when I see things like "DETM (data enabled talent management) is being piloted using the IDC due to the relative flexibility of the IDC as compared with the other URL communities and their specific milestones as well as the variety of skillsets that comprise the IDC cadre." But, I've digressed... ...I will post this and other associated information elsewhere for those interested.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner