O-5 Command Results -- Message to the IW Community?

Re: O-5 Command Results -- Message to the IW Community?

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:28 pm

20yearman wrote:It appears that we're sending one signal to the IW Community - "Cyber matters, tactical, Fleet support does not."

Who is "sending this message" and how?

The method for signaling to the board what the community values is the convening order. Here is the verbatim guidance to the board:

"Considerations for selection to O5 Command: Candidates will have demonstrated sustained superior performance in positions of leadership and demonstrated proficiency in IW core mission areas. Candidates will have successfully completed Command Qualification and O5 Milestone screening. Completion of IW Milestone is not required. The strongest candidates will possess documented successful leadership experience as Executive Officer, OIC, Department Head or other coded Navy or Joint leadership positions and also possess major staff experience. The strongest candidates will additionally have achieved advanced education (Master’s degree, Doctoral Degree, or post-graduate technical certifications) in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Progress toward JQO qualification is also valued, though not a requirement for selection."

Cyber isn't even mentioned.

The only other pertinent section, the community introduction, includes the following:

"The command officers of these commands consequently must possess unimpeachable credentials, deep technical and operational experience, superior performance, and character conducive to leadership in command that is innovate and bold, thinks creatively and challenges assumptions, and takes well-calculated risks to maximize effectiveness."

I don't yet see a trend, based on the last 2-3 year's selections of CDR Command. If this happens again next year I will reconsider.

BL: Ducks pick ducks. In this case, the duck wears three stars.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Sum1 wrote:If I wasn't doing three dramatically different jobs, going to grad school, and trying to spend what little remaining time i have traveling or otherwise staying sane I would go through the O-4 selections that just occurred to see if there any significant, discernible patterns related to this.

Here is the data for this FY:

O6: 8/28 have documented cyber qualifications (0 non-selects have documented cyber qualifications)

O5: 8/28 have documented cyber qualifications (0 non-selects have documented cyber qualifications)

O4: 6/7 IZ Officers with documented Cyber Experience were selected

Note the difference in reporting for O4. For comparison purposes there were 52 selected, so 7/52 selected had cyber experience.

Still think cyber is overwhelmingly key for any selection?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:41 pm

COMEVIL wrote:Still think cyber is overwhelmingly key for any selection?

I'm assuming that wasn't necessarily directed at anyone in particular. I wasn't making any generalizations about cyber and it's applicability to O-5 command selection. I simply stated that maybe selections at other ranks in other boards could prove to be another data point.

Can you verify that your stats for the O-6 and O-5 board imply that there were no officers with cyber experience who failed to select? 0 non-selects having cyber experience seems to mean that if you had cyber experience you got selected. Let me know if my reading comprehension (or fatigue) is failing me.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Sum1 wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:Still think cyber is overwhelmingly key for any selection?

I'm assuming that wasn't necessarily directed at anyone in particular. I wasn't making any generalizations about cyber and it's applicability to O-5 command selection. I simply stated that maybe selections at other ranks in other boards could prove to be another data point.

Can you verify that your stats for the O-6 and O-5 board imply that there were no officers with cyber experience who failed to select? 0 non-selects having cyber experience seems to mean that if you had cyber experience you got selected. Let me know if my reading comprehension (or fatigue) is failing me.

Just a general question.

Regarding stats, it looks like I made an error on the O6 results. Correction is below:

O6: 3/11 have documented cyber qualifications
O5: 8/28 have documented cyber qualifications (0 non-selects have documented cyber qualifications)
O4: 6/7 IZ Officers with documented Cyber Experience were selected (6/52 IZ picks had cyber)

Regarding your question, it looks like all those with cyber experience were advanced to CDR.

Analyze the data as you see fit. My point in posting is that there are MANY discriminators for selection. Cyber is one of them, but not the only one.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby 20yearman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:56 am

COMEVIL I agree that I may have jumped the gun by stating that the O-5 CMD results indicates a shift in importance to Cyber and will be interested to see future board results. Its easy to make assumptions without seeing the same packages that the selection board saw - Where there "do not select" letters, FITREP issues, geographical location requests, etc. Your stats are pretty convincing but we'll see what the future holds.

20yearman
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:17 am

20yearman wrote:COMEVIL I agree that I may have jumped the gun by stating that the O-5 CMD results indicates a shift in importance to Cyber and will be interested to see future board results. Its easy to make assumptions without seeing the same packages that the selection board saw - Where there "do not select" letters, FITREP issues, geographical location requests, etc. Your stats are pretty convincing but we'll see what the future holds.

Thanks. And to be fair, "my" stats are all about advancement selection, not selection for command. How URLs view us (Advancement boards) and how we view ourselves (Command and Milestone boards run by the IDC) is probably vastly different.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:08 am

COMEVIL wrote:O6: 3/11 have documented cyber qualifications
O4: 6/7 IZ Officers with documented Cyber Experience were selected (6/52 IZ picks had cyber)

I thought I had sent this comment in earlier, but maybe not...

It looks (from the way you worded the stats), that only one person in zone with cyber qualifications didn't select for O-4 and O-5. Is that accurate or am I misunderstanding?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Sum1 wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:O6: 3/11 have documented cyber qualifications

I thought I had sent this comment in earlier, but maybe not...

It looks (from the way you worded the stats), that only one person in zone with cyber qualifications didn't select for O-4 and O-5. Is that accurate or am I misunderstanding?

That looks accurate.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby cleansparks1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 pm

COMEVIL, what does documented cyber qualifications and documented cyber experience mean exactly? AQDs/NOBCs? Something documented in FITREPS?

cleansparks1
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:39 pm

cleansparks1 wrote:COMEVIL, what does documented cyber qualifications and documented cyber experience mean exactly? AQDs/NOBCs? Something documented in FITREPS?

Quick answer is yes. Something the board can see the indicates legitimate cyber experience, such as a qual, AQD, or tour at USCC. A line in your FITREP saying you have done Cyber probably won't cut it for the board.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner