FY-15 Zones

Re: FY-15 Zones

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:08 pm

IWO wrote:It is interesting that lots of this discussion revolves around performance as CRC, and not in Command, as a yardstick by which community health is measured. That might be another discussion entirely.

There is nothing wrong with the performance of our CO's. After all, when is the last time you heard about a NIOC CO getting fired :rolleyes:

IWO wrote:But, for those who see the CRC pipeline as broken, what would you change if you could? I'm talking about the progression to CRC, not about the school at Corry.

Just finished my CRC tour as a CSG CRC. What helped me most was previous tactical cryptologic experience (EP-3 Comeval, NSW) and my PCS afloat tour (LHA). I have never done a "national" tour (FT Meade, GA, etc) but having done one would have been extremely beneficial. So to recap, a tactical cryptologic background, PCS afloat, and a national tour should all be required.

Regarding the CRC course, I can't be too critical as I never went but I haven't heard good things. Not sure how we can teach folks to be CRC's without having recent, prior CRC's teaching that course. And it should probably be moved to the waterfront to keep it relevant.

Site visits (i-stops) through key commands (NSA, C10F/FCC, USFF, NCF) help as well. Finally, we need to send CRC's to the same tactical training (STWC) to prepare them for service in a CSG and watch-standing duty in TFCC.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Speaking of judging community health, when is the last time, if ever, we surveyed our JO's?

See results from a recent SWO JO Survey here:

SWO JO Survey Results

Why don't we do this as a community? Or have we and I am just not aware?

v/r

Comevi

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:56 pm

I must admit that I have enjoyed watching the posts that many have shared since I offered the initial questions for your consideration. Personally, I am disappointed that the OCM is not using this forum to help inform the constituents, but I will give him a call. Perceptions and opinions cannot by definition be wrong, but they can be misinformed and we have a responsibility to help each other formulate informed opinions/perceptions.

Regarding Comevil's most recent question about survey's, when I was OCM, we did a JO survey and got some great input. I shared results, provided a POA&M to address the issues, and it shaped my initial plan of attack in the job. Was able to put a dent in many things based on the results, but couldn't champion many of the things that I felt were most important. Leadership was different then and had other priorities.

The OCM's role that Wolfpack shared is rather unfortunate (though accurate). It used to be different. It used o be more than numbers. It was KSA development; it was advocating for changes in training (e.g. both curriculum and a pipeline); it was career progression shaping (e.g. NOBCs, AQDs, Milestone Billets, Command Screening process, etc). Each of those things continue to happen, but they are clearly fractured with numerous gaps and conflicting visions. I hate to remember the "Good 'ol Days", but there was goodness when I was in CNSG Sea Warrior and we had manpower, training, and rating leadership in one place. We also made regular communication a priority (albeit it cascading through Direct Reports vice broadcast blogposts). That's one reason this forum is great and we are attempting to make self-synchronization a priority.

I don't know that it is possible to have a meaningful conversation via bulletin board to get us all on the same sheet (and I am not implying that my sheet is the right sheet), but those of us who are interested might want to create a conversation. I am up for it. Easy for us at Fort Meade to get together, and not too difficult for others to do the same. Rather simple to hook up a VTC.

Keep the conversation going...

Arkad
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner