NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby Romeocorpen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:23 pm

What is the opinion of NSW billets for IW Officers? At your current command, is there a huge desire among JOs to screen for an NSW billet over a traditional operational billet (PCS Afloat, DIRSUP, ComEval)? Is there a full understanding of what the billets entail by leadership to appropriately guide officers, who have an interest, into those jobs? For those who desire an assignment within NSW, is there something that holds you back or restricts you from applying?

After reading the LCDR MILESTONE billet listing, I noticed several NSW billets listed and was curious as to how others view the program over our historic tours.

Romeocorpen
Registered Member

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Romeocorpen wrote:What is the opinion of NSW billets for IW Officers? At your current command, is there a huge desire among JOs to screen for an NSW billet over a traditional operational billet (PCS Afloat, DIRSUP, ComEval)? Is there a full understanding of what the billets entail by leadership to appropriately guide officers, who have an interest, into those jobs? For those who desire an assignment within NSW, is there something that holds you back or restricts you from applying?

After reading the LCDR MILESTONE billet listing, I noticed several NSW billets listed and was curious as to how others view the program over our historic tours.

Are you in an NSW billet yourself? If not, I can speak to the value/impact of these billets if that is what you are curious about. Otherwise, I too am curious if there is a pool of JO's interesting in joining the community. Also interested in how the community, writ large, views this duty.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Romeocorpen » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm currently in a NSW billet. I believe we do a good job of advertising our program on the enlisted side but I'm not sure we're at the same level for officers. It's been a few years since I was at a NIOC but when I was there, NSW wasn't addressed the way other communities were presented. If someone was interested in the work, it was because of "word of mouth" with someone who had filled a NSW billet previously.

For someone who has done the PCS afloat, DIRSUP subs and an IA, my current assignment is the most rewarding, personally and professionally, of any assignment thus far. I know there are officers within our community who are interested in our program but I'm afraid word isn't getting out to them.

Romeocorpen
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Romeocorpen wrote:For someone who has done the PCS afloat, DIRSUP subs and an IA, my current assignment is the most rewarding, personally and professionally, of any assignment thus far. I know there are officers within our community who are interested in our program but I'm afraid word isn't getting out to them.

Agree on all accounts.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby bubblehead » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Romeocorpen wrote:I know there are officers within our community who are interested in our program but I'm afraid word isn't getting out to them.

Is the community manager not working on this? Or, is it by design? That is, why advertise NSW when bodies are needed on DIRSUP (air/surface/sub-surface) or in other critical areas.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:57 pm

bubblehead wrote:That is, why advertise NSW when bodies are needed on DIRSUP (air/surface/sub-surface) or in other critical areas.

Except, billets are billets. And NSW needs to fill theirs as well. Not to mention they need a bigger pool of applicants because the screening/selection process is much more rigid. Not sure why the detailer would pick one group or the other to favor.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby sfinchsanjo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:36 pm

As a prior enlisted TIO operator I am glad to see that NSW billets are growing for IW Officers and as soon as I have completed my first NIOC tour I plan on going back to the community.

sfinchsanjo
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 pm

I don't think "word" (sufficient information) about NSW is finding its way to our JOs. But, its not the detailer's role to do so. They should, and do, provide the same info on NSW billets as they do for other billets (PRD, career impact, next steps). NSW should provide info related to the work being done, to the extent they feel they need to, rather than having the detailer do it. If they ever began running short on cryppie officers, I'm sure they would engage more and increase communication. I don't think that will ever happen, though, because our guys are sufficiently interested and relatively smarter. The physical stuff is easiest and can be manufactured. You can't manufacture the other stuff. I talked to the detailer about an NSW billet recently, but when I pulled the string and talked to the name he gave me, turns out NSW decided to change it to a different designator and he was unaware. Clearly, there isn't enough communication between NSW, the detailer, and our JOs/wardroom. I offer the following answers to the original questions posed in this thread:

1) The IW officers' opinion of NSW billets is incomplete.
2) No huge JO desire observed to screen for NSW, relative to other billets. But, its a very individual thing, more so than the other usual billets.
3) No full understanding by leadership of what the billets entail which would assist JOs in their decision making. This isn't a surprise, as a) our leadership never had the opportunity serve in these billets as JOs and b) there isn't a brief (which i have heard of) for our leadership or JOs which would provide info related to what the billet entails.
4) The lack of information itself does keep some from applying/screening.

When I think about it, NSW obviously must be pleased with the overall product they receive from our community, otherwise they would be looking for something other than what they are getting. If they are happy with what they are getting now, it doesn't really seem we need to have more people screen for these billets than do now. What worries me instead is the number of NSW billets on the milestone list (relative to other jobs), considering our community ignorance about the NSW billets in general or how they prepare a senior officer to manage the community/IDC at some point in the future.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 pm

yoshi wrote: Clearly, there isn't enough communication between NSW, the detailer, and our JOs/wardroom.

This is your perception, like many of the other points in your response. Yet I can tell you we have had the detailers, and senior leadership, out to visit many of our sites over the past few years. Outreach to the JOs/wardroom in general may be an issue. However, we typically do recruiting trips and general outreach whenever possible. Are we reaching all JOs? I doubt it. Can we improve? Always.

yoshi wrote:1) The IW officers' opinion of NSW billets is incomplete.
2) No huge JO desire observed to screen for NSW, relative to other billets. But, its a very individual thing, more so than the other usual billets.
3) No full understanding by leadership of what the billets entail which would assist JOs in their decision making. This isn't a surprise, as a) our leadership never had the opportunity serve in these billets as JOs and b) there isn't a brief (which i have heard of) for our leadership or JOs which would provide info related to what the billet entails.
4) The lack of information itself does keep some from applying/screening.

1) This may be true, although support to the community has been ongoing since the mid-1990's. Not sure where the disconnect is, but there is plenty of corporate knowledge out there if you reach deep enough.

2) Again, this is based on your perception. Support to NSW isn't for everyone, but I have spoken to plenty of people who are at least interested in learning more.

3) Senior (3 star, 2 star, 1 star, Captains) have been briefed on what we do and are aware of the impact. Not sure how that would trickle down to the JOs/Wardroom, but the knowledge is there, as is evident by the increase in milestone billets in NSW.

4) Lack of information for an individual should be no excuse. If they are truly interested, they'll find out more about the community. You could consider that part of the initial screening.

yoshi wrote:What worries me instead is the number of NSW billets on the milestone list (relative to other jobs), considering our community ignorance about the NSW billets in general or how they prepare a senior officer to manage the community/IDC at some point in the future.

Again, this decision to increase the number of NSW-related milestone billets was made by senior leadership. This shouldn't be worrisome. Instead, this should drive you, or anyone else, to find out more.

Look, I don't know crap about the new cyber billets. If I wanted to, I'd dig until I got the answers I needed. Especially if I wanted to pursue that career path, or be in a position to mentor other officers regarding that mission.

If someone is truly interested in NSW, ask the detailer. They know who you should contact for more information.

For anyone reading this post, PM me with your questions and I'll point you in the right direction. I am filling an NSW milestone billet now and would be glad to share as much as I can!

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:25 am

@COMEVIL:
Totally concur with your assessment on my previous points. They were/are based on my perception, which, I'm sure, is different than some, the same as others. I simply did my best to answer the questions originally posed based on that perception, as that's all I have to go on. I was heartened to learn (from your last post) of the recruiting and outreach trips. That was a first heard for me. Also good to hear community leadership is briefed on the impact made by the NSW efforts. Not sure how/if that trickles down to JOs, either. With respect to the milestone stuff, the value of time spent with NSW is easy to understand, and frankly, I'd prefer we have that cultural experience eventually guiding our community. However, the question i have is - what is it about those billets which is highly valued by our community's senior leadership? Is it actual tradecraft (like maybe the cyber billets)? I had always assumed milestone billets are billets which our community views as providing skills necessary to be a successful command and community leader, as opposed to billets which provide background in a specific capability (cyber, NSW). Obviously, it isn't as neatly logical as I believed. appreciate your time and effort to set things straight. And, yes, I agree - part of screening would be someone's level of motivation to find the answers for how to get it done.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner