NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby telowery » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I've served in an NSW billet and will be filling one of the new Milestone billets, so I may be biased, but the NSW billets offer the same (if not more) leadership and technical experiences that PCS Afloat and Dept Head billets offer. The job is somewhat similar to a CRC in that you're managing the cryptologic resources of the NSW SQRON to include the training and distribution of IDC personnel to meet the mission requirements and, IMO the NSW billets are more challenging than most CRC billets due to the ever changing technical requirements and mission parameters. Also integrating into the NSW community is a challenge as you have to adapt quickly to the NSW method of doing business while learning an entirely new vernacular that's not taught in any of our courses. It's not for everyone, but most people who serve in the community want to return. Even though the information on these billets can be found on the detailer webpage and via NSW personnel also conduct recruiting trips to most major NIOCs it's up to IW leaders to have an open mind and educate the Wardroom on the value of these billets and encourage those Officers that would be a good fit to apply. Bottom line...They do provide the leadership and technical experience and groom Officers for Senior positions within the Community.
  • 0

telowery
Registered Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 am
Reputation: 0

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby LIVINGIW » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:37 am

BL: you get 1 or 2 'tactical' tours as a O1-O3.... Pick what excites you.... Surface, subs, air, NSW.... And go learn and contribute as much as you can.

As an O4, the 'milestone' jobs are surface and NSW focused, plus some staff and limited cyber opportunities, so again, pick what excites you and get after it...

Talk to your mentor, consider board precepts, and take control of your career. Balance what 'they' tell you to do with what you want to do... Our community has a deep NSW bench now, so there are plenty of folks to share the gospel...
  • 0

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Location: CA
Reputation: 12

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby Sum1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:28 am

Compared to PCS afloat, comeval, etc gigs, the NSW jobs aren't exceedingly well-explained, in my experience. Finding people to explain to you precisely what they do and the nuances that go into choosing whether or not to pursue the billet is challenging, to say the least. We all know (or can find out very easily) what the life cycle of a ship's training and deployment preps will look like, but I definitely can't say the same thing about NSW. OPTEMPO seems to vary widely, and could off-putting for someone who is trying to decide between two different routes. Now, if you're one of those people who just want to go boots on the ground no matter what, then it might not matter, but for those of us who are interested but would like to know more before making an educated decision it's a little hard to find tangible data.
  • 0

Sum1
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:43 am
Reputation: 15

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Sum1 wrote:Compared to PCS afloat, comeval, etc gigs, the NSW jobs aren't exceedingly well-explained, in my experience. Finding people to explain to you precisely what they do and the nuances that go into choosing whether or not to pursue the billet is challenging, to say the least. We all know (or can find out very easily) what the life cycle of a ship's training and deployment preps will look like, but I definitely can't say the same thing about NSW. OPTEMPO seems to vary widely, and could off-putting for someone who is trying to decide between two different routes. Now, if you're one of those people who just want to go boots on the ground no matter what, then it might not matter, but for those of us who are interested but would like to know more before making an educated decision it's a little hard to find tangible data.


I looked at the link on BUPERS and it is lacking, short of some POC information and PT standards. I'll see what I can do to increase the job description listed there.

In the meantime, if you are interested contact the detailer and he will point you in the right direction.

Or send me or Romeocorpen a PM and we'll help you out.

v/r

COMEVIL
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm

The detailer just sent an email out to all XO's asking for more IW Officers to screen for NSW billets.

Now is your chance if interested!

Contact me with any questions.

v/r

COMEVIL
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby Romeocorpen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.

Glad to see there is a push to get more officers to screen. I wonder if that push will include looking at Warrants to fill some of the billets.
  • 0

Romeocorpen
Registered Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm
Location: Dogs and Sailors
Reputation: 0

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby RumRunner46 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum with great interest, as I have just recently been re-designated as an 1810. I am a former SWO LT with tours as a Riverine detachment AOIC and a follow on GSA tour with a Special Operations Task Unit in Afghanistan. I have orders to NSA/CSS at Fort Meade after I complete IWBC. I defintely would like to get back into the NSW realm, and I was curious about specific billets at NSA/CSS that might give me some continued exposure to supporting SOF. I don't yet know what billet I will fill once I report to NSA, so any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
KC
  • 0

RumRunner46
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 am

RumRunner46 wrote:Hello all,

I have been reading this forum with great interest, as I have just recently been re-designated as an 1810. I am a former SWO LT with tours as a Riverine detachment AOIC and a follow on GSA tour with a Special Operations Task Unit in Afghanistan. I have orders to NSA/CSS at Fort Meade after I complete IWBC. I defintely would like to get back into the NSW realm, and I was curious about specific billets at NSA/CSS that might give me some continued exposure to supporting SOF. I don't yet know what billet I will fill once I report to NSA, so any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
KC


KC,

Congrats on your lateral transfer! Shoot me a PM with your contact information and we'll start a dialogue.

v/r

Comevil
  • 0

User avatar
COMEVIL
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am
Reputation: 36

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby RumRunner46 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Hello all,

I was looking for the screening requirements and any other info for the NSW billets - it used to be on the detailer page at npc.navy.mil... does anyone have any idea when it might be re-posted?

Thanks,
KC
  • 0

RumRunner46
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: NSW FOR IW OFFICERS

Postby webmaster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:51 pm

RumRunner46 wrote:Hello all,

I was looking for the screening requirements and any other info for the NSW billets - it used to be on the detailer page at npc.navy.mil... does anyone have any idea when it might be re-posted?

Thanks,
KC

I would give the detailer a call.
  • 0

User avatar
webmaster
Administrator
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 am
Location: God's Country
Reputation: 51

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron